Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Russell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at getting Railways of the World. Then Rolling Freight went on sale from Coolstuff.

I hadn't heard of it before now wondered what is some of the differences between the two?

What one do you like more or less and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I personally prefer Martin Wallace's Age of Steam and Steam over the derivative Railways of the World, I think the two games you're comparing are both fun, and offer different experiences.

The AoS/Steam/RRT games emphasize contiguous route-building, goods delivery, and no significant random elements (save for the cards, in RRT/Railways).

Rolling Freight also emphasizes route-building, but it is fairly common to not have contiguous rail, as rail segments are not created dynamically by the user (as in the AoS system), but instead "built" from those segments already shown on the board - you usually find yourself moving a good across rail owned by more than one player, more often than you do in the AoS system. Also, there are two classes of goods in Rolling Freight - "short-haul" (i.e., perishable and passengers), and "long haul". Short-haul goods pay bonuses for the shortest distance travelled, while long-haul goods are just the opposite.

But the biggest difference in the two games is that what you can do on a turn in Rolling Freight is a bit more wide open, than it is in the AoS system. This may seem counter-intuitive, as Rolling Freight has you rolling dice every turn, to determine what your best options are, but where in the AoS system you have a fixed portion of your turn allocated to each type of activity (and a strict limit on how much of that activity you can conduct), none of that is true in Rolling Freight. Most rolls of the dice will likely be optimal for a particular course of action, but you will still have options that permit you to pursue a particular strategy over the course of the game, and this can often mean using what you roll in a different way.

Overall, I currently prefer Rolling Freight to the AoS system. Some of that has to do with having played the AoS system for 10 years, now, so something fresh is always welcome. But some of it also can be attributed to Rolling Freight having a different "feel" to it, that lends itself to different players emphasizing different strategies.

Now, if they could just clean up their board graphics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate auctions/bidding, so it was natural for me to choose Rolling Freight over RotW. However I still think that basic Steam is superior ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this may ruffle some feathers given where the question was asked, I have to say hands down Railways of the World no contest.

This is a novel change of pace but not in even close to the same league imo.

RotW is actually easier to teach and far less fiddly but offers incredible strategic depth for how rules light it is. Rolling has more downtime and the amount of luck involved makes it a much more tactical affair by comparison.

It's also much more hit or miss with different folks in my experience. Some like it, some don't, but few I've met love it. Whereas Steam/RotW/AoS is easily the favorite rail game of all time for legions, if not favorite game of all time period. (as reflected in their dramatically higher rating and rankings)

Not trying to dissuade anyone from trying Rolling Freight! Just played it last night in fact. For a lover of rail games looking for a change of pace this may be just the ticket but I could never recommend it over RotW given a choice between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls