Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to review the requirements for a piece being allowed to make an attack move at the very start of the attack section of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing nothing, essentially. But what prevents attacks from the other side of the map are exactly those other requirements:

"For an attack move to be legal, at least one of the following must be true:
- The block is attacking an enemy whose position bounds the attacking block’s front area, or
- The block is attacking an enemy whose position is in the attacking block’s field of fire, or
- The block’s position is in the field of fire of the enemy it is attacking (or would be, if the enemy’s front was reversed)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only do one kind of move a turn, unless it is a multi-hour turn. But, keep in mind the order of the action phase: WARM. Attack comes before March move, so you can't actually Move in a turn and then also attack in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marechaldavout wrote:
Why is the attack path relevant?
1) The defense artillery can only fire at units whose attack path crosses their field of fire.

2) If the shortest attack path has enemy units in it or if the first area it crosses is not the unit's front area, then the attack cannot be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kotsarinis
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Without having the rules in front of me, I d say it is relevant because of the fields of fire and to stop you circumnavigating them in order to escape defensive fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000236/attacking-whats-...) for an example of why the distance restriction is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kotsarinis
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I d say yes as long as the requirements of attack eligibilty are met at the beginning of your move, not after you ve started your move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marechaldavout wrote:
That discussion helps, but what if I'm two areas away, I enter my front area first, and there are no intervening enemy blocks or fields of fire between me and my target, can I make that attack?

This actually happens fairly often as an attacking unit could be in the field of fire of a unit, but not in the defensive units front. So, you can move two spaces to attack a unit in this situation, all else being legal.

I think the confusion is in your statement that you could travel 3 or 4 spaces to make an attack. I am only on my fourth full game, but I have yet to see a circumstance where that situation might occur, so while it is theoretically within the rules as written, I am not sure that you can find a situation on the map where this situation could ever occur. I could be wrong, but others can state a example that refutes this.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking the map, some special lines of sight might allow the extra areas to be attack eligible. Also keep in mind the terminology used, it's very important. The minimum distance is measured in movement steps not areas. Two paths that appear to be equal may not be if any obstructions would add to the cost of the attack move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a case where an attacker could move 3 steps to make an attack. Any of the CSA blocks here can attack Buford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the key point in Rich's image is that Buford is placed in a position with an special field of fire extension three areas away, mmmmm.
"Regardless distance" is meant for these cases ... interesting.
Rafael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just noticed something in my example. If McLaws' facing were reversed (so that he faced West instead of East), he could still attack Buford. He qualifies because his position is in the field of fire of Buford and he can move through his front area to attack in 3 steps, which is the shortest route from his position to Buford's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
Here's a case where an attacker could move 3 steps to make an attack. Any of the CSA blocks here can attack Buford.

Excellent points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cullen

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:

I'm just a beginner here, but I can't see how the CSA blocks can attack Buford. They can only move 2 unless they use a Move/Field Works token but that can only be used during the March movement phase and thus can't be used for attack. I think. Maybe I'm wrong. I can see how Buford can attack all three of the CSA units. He's calv. he can move three. Especially MeLaws who he could attack in the rear.

By the way, could Buford be used as a Flank Threat here if McLaws was being attacked by Union blocks--and the other two CSA blocks weren't present?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack moves don't have a movement step limit. What is or isn't allowed is controlled entirely by the criteria for who can attack and if they can get there by moving forward and through the shortest distance to the defender position. One of the three criteria for who can attack is if your block's position is in the field of fire of the enemy block it is attacking. All three CSA blocks are in Buford's field of fire, so all three can attack Buford.

Buford can't be used as a flank threat in this situation because he is not adjacent to any of the CSA blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack moves are not limited in how many steps a unit takes to reach an attack position. There isn't a 'movement allowance'. The 2 steps/3 steps for mounted is only applied to march moves (and withdrawal moves under certain conditions). Each type of movement has it's own allowed amount and restrictions.

Buford is not in a flanking positon in the picture. In order to flank you must be adjacent, ie sharing an endpoint with the unit threatened. In the case of the above picture, Buford would have to be in a position that included the Bethel school endpoint. From there, those 2 positions in that triangle could reach McLaws rear in 2 steps or less and threaten McLaws' right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cullen

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, adjacent. I forgot about that.

As to the rest, we've been playing wrong. Will have to start from scratch.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this happen in our first game, yesterday. I surprised poor Dan by swinging a unit in 13/14 around to attack his line at 11/23. Special lines of sight can lead to some unintuitive attacks (from a traditional, hex-based perspective).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.