Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have one assignment left in my last "assignment" class and I have two options and can't decide which one I should write about. So, in hopes of killing a little time before I get down to it I decided to ask the community.

Poll
Which topic should I write about.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Childhood Inoculation: Should you inoculate your child?
80.0% 12
Global Warming: Myth or Real, should we do something about it?
20.0% 3
Voters 15
This poll is now closed.   15 answers
Poll created by GuidoVanHorn
Closes: Sat Jul 6, 2013 6:00 am

For either subject I need to present both viewpoints, have at least three sources,and give a recommendation.

The first one seems too bland for my taste and the second seems like something I'd have a hard time keeping within the maximum page guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of opinions in this thread - and hopefully it won't wander into RSP territory - but here's mine. The first one is only one-sided; there is no question at all that children should be innoculated. The second one is more of a debate, although the scientific consensus still leans mush more toward Real than Myth. So, there's more to work with there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This sounds A LOT like an assignment I used to give. My recommendation is to be sure to truly give an argument supported by sources for both sides and not just fake your way through the side you don't agree with.

The reason I don't give the assignment anymore is because I would rarely get a paper in which the student would actually argue for the two sides before giving their recommendation. Now the assignment is to orally argue the side they disagree with. devil

Go with the one you're more interested in -- you've got a lot of work to do if you want to do it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Microbadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: impliesMicrobadge: Always the Banker
That's a really tough call, because the scientific consensus is entirely on one side of both issues. In fact, both issues illustrate beautifully why consensus in science is important: there are scientists on both sides of both issues, but the vast majority support the consensus. It is fair and honest to present both viewpoints, but it is not fair and honest to give equal time to both viewpoints when the evidence overwhelmingly favors one. For example, about 97% of climate scientists support anthropogenic climate change.

On the other hand, the exceptions can be instructive. There are good reasons not to vaccinate particular children: those with compromised immune systems, for whom vaccination is very dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
there is no question at all that children should be innoculated.
You mean there SHOULD be no question at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

This sounds A LOT like an assignment I used to give. My recommendation is to be sure to truly give an argument supported by sources for both sides and not just fake your way through the side you don't agree with.

The reason I don't give the assignment anymore is because I would rarely get a paper in which the student would actually argue for the two sides before giving their recommendation. Now the assignment is to orally argue the side they disagree with. devil

Go with the one you're more interested in -- you've got a lot of work to do if you want to do it properly.

I'm not worried about presenting both sides, in fact I often debate points depending on which side is getting hammered on the issue, regardless of where I currently stand on the issue.

Something I learned during my undergraduate degree. One of my professors urged us to always take the stance against what we currently thought when writing a series of debate papers. It is a great experience to be forced to present compelling evidence for a point you don't really believe in. It really opens your eyes to what the debate is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of opinions in this thread - and hopefully it won't wander into RSP territory - but here's mine. The first one is only one-sided; there is no question at all that children should be innoculated. The second one is more of a debate, although the scientific consensus still leans mush more toward Real than Myth. So, there's more to work with there.
I had an internal debate for 15 seconds on where I should post this...I decided that if I kept it in chitchat it might curtail the (RS)P talk. Not that I'm not interested in people's viewpoints on the subject, but I'd much rather hear about why I should choose one of the topics over the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
Well, I have strong feelings on both issues (and side with the consensus, if that matters). But, I'd go for inoculation. It seems like something that has a more direct, immediate effect on a personal level. While folks can personally decide and adjust how they do/do not contribute to climate change - assuming one believes that you can at all - a lot of the larger effects that can happen are outside of the individual level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Microbadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: impliesMicrobadge: Always the Banker
An amendment to my previous comment: Now there exist legitimate arguments against, say, vaccination, that are not scientific. There is the issue of personal autonomy, for example: at what point does the common good outweigh my right to choose what's right for my children? This is a complex issue that doesn't have an objective answer: the scientific evidence says that the benefits to the child and to society far outweigh the risks, but it's ultimately a value judgment to say whether we should vaccinate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Trinidad
Colorado
flag msg tools
Learn from the past, look to the future.
badge
That is correct, yes it is.
Microbadge: I bought this microbadge just for the halibut.Microbadge: plusMicrobadge: Shave the whalesMicrobadge: equalsMicrobadge: Fighting Hover Crab fan
Wow, both of those are kicking the hornet's nest. I would take the first and present very passionate arguments on both sides. They both really come down to how much we trust our rulers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
I would write about why we should inoculate our children against global warming.
PROBLEM SOLVED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls