GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,744 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Iron and Oak» Forums » Rules

Subject: Refloat procedure (4.3.1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems a bit odd.

If my ship is fully powered and I successfully refloat I may get damage, but if I fail then no damage occurs.

If my ship has damaged or failed propulsion and I successfully refloat then no damage occurs, but if I fail then I get damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem odd, but I'll make a guess (and only a guess) that this is the rationale. If a ship has a normal propulsion system, freeing it from being aground may damage the shaft/screw/gears/whatever. If a ship has already damaged its propulsion system and is able to free itself, no worse damage is likely. If it is already damaged and goes "all out" to free itself and fails, it has wrecked its propulsion system to an even greater extent.

Still, I don't see why a challenge/response of some combination of dice could not be made for every case covered by 4.3.1 Powered Ships:

Full Propulsion and successful refloat
Full Propulsion and unsuccessful refloat
Damaged Propulsion and successful refloat
Damaged Propulsion and unsuccessful refloat

but that would take a change by Jim or a house rule by you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.