Subject: Destroying the Vault rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Venture Bros. fanMicrobadge: Dark humor fanMicrobadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Pirate
Rules questions:

Team White attempts to Destroy the Vault in Team Black's Team Base. The Vault contains two Common cards.

- Is Team White awarded those two cards immediately upon destruction of the Vault (i.e., before Dismissal)? Or does a second Team White member need to steal the cards?

- Should Team White have attempted to Raid the Vault first? Strategically, is it more advantageous to do so? Or is it dependent on the game's situation? (If the Raid is successful, I assume that member would be Dismissed/Banished without getting a chance to also Destroy the Vault.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to not be very helpful (though it's definitely a good question & I'd be interested to hear the answer)... but I just had to ask a completely irrelevant question: Looking at your microbadges, I was just wondering if you work for Voodoo disc golf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiding the Vault and destroying the Vault are two separate options. Both cause you to be dismissed, so you won't be able to do both. Destroying the Vault does not let you steal the cards in the Vault. Raiding the Vault lets you steal the cards, but does not harm the Vault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aardball wrote:
- Is Team White awarded those two cards immediately upon destruction of the Vault (i.e., before Dismissal)?
Rulebook says: "Cards in the Vault at the time of destruction are NOT lost and can be stolen." This seems to pretty clearly rule out that they go to the destroying character.

What is not clear to me is, if I destroy the enemy Vault and another of my characters arrives at that site, can he just pick up the contents of the Vault? Or does he still have to Raid the Vault?

I gather that the owner of the destroyed Vault can't take cards out of it, in any way? He would have to Repair the Vault first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Venture Bros. fanMicrobadge: Dark humor fanMicrobadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Pirate
Thanks, Brett!

Edit:One more three more questions, then:

Is every Challenge on the Vault a "5 Wits" challenge?

If I raid my opponent's Vault, it is. Can a character later Destroy that same Vault with a Wits challenge?

Would the "5 Wits" rule also apply to Repairing my own destroyed Vault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiding the Vault is not affected one way or another by whether the Vault is destroyed.

The owner of the Vault cannot take cards out of a destroyed Vault.

Think of a destroyed Vault as a raid that affected the exterior of the Vault or the bureaucratic process (yes, there's a grumpy Quartermaster in that base who can be a real pain in the procurement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
bazpoint wrote:
Sorry to not be very helpful (though it's definitely a good question & I'd be interested to hear the answer)... but I just had to ask a completely irrelevant question: Looking at your microbadges, I was just wondering if you work for Voodoo disc golf?
Nope. Not yet, anyway...

Where's Voodoo located?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aardball wrote:
Thanks, Brett!

Edit:One more three more questions, then:

Is every Challenge on the Vault a "5 Wits" challenge?

If I raid my opponent's Vault, it is. Can a character later Destroy that same Vault with a Wits challenge?

Would the "5 Wits" rule also apply to Repairing my own destroyed Vault?

All are 5 Wits. Raiding and Destruction do not interfere with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aardball wrote:
bazpoint wrote:
Nope. Not yet, anyway...

Where's Voodoo located?
Hmmm... not sure actually, somewhere in the USA obviously but a look at their site doesn't reveal a state. If you don't know them you should check them out - their main business is rather lovely disc bags, but they also do a line of custom discs with some graphics which would fit very well with your whole skull thing!

Right, sorry for the derailment, won't do it again - thanks to Brett for the ninjatastic clarifications as always...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Gate is destroyed, then the owner can still move freely through it, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If a Gate is destroyed, then the owner can still move freely through it, correct?
Yep, both sides can until repaired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Another two Team Base- and Gate-related questions:

As Team White, I end my Move phase with four characters standing outside my opponent's Main Gate. All four attempt to enter the base by passing a Stealth challenge. Three are successful, and they immediately step through the gate and into the Team Black base.

1) On that same hex stands a Team Black character (let's say, Kit Carson).

- Do we conduct a second melee at that time, or not?

2) Standing on the Vortex directly behind Kit Carson is Kit's teammate, the Scarlet Vixen. She's holding a pistol.

- Does the Scarlet Vixen get an OpFire shot at any of the three new arrivals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aardball wrote:
As Team White, I end my Move phase with four characters standing outside my opponent's Main Gate. All four attempt to enter the base by passing a Stealth challenge. Three are successful, and they immediately step through the gate and into the Team Black base.

1) On that same hex stands a Team Black character (let's say, Kit Carson).

- Do we conduct a second melee at that time, or not?
This one is easy, definitely not. The turn sequence is on page 6. Adventure Phase comes after the Melee Phase. You challenge the Gate in the Adventure Phase. All that happens after that is the Reinforce Phase, and then your turn is over.

Quote:

2) Standing on the Vortex directly behind Kit Carson is Kit's teammate, the Scarlet Vixen. She's holding a pistol.

- Does the Scarlet Vixen get an OpFire shot at any of the three new arrivals?
Again, definitely not. The OpFire Phase is even earlier in the turn, and you can only fire at moving targets anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks, David. We played it correctly, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that, of course, Black goes next, and could possibly fire at the White units during the Fire Phase, and/or attack them during his Melee Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Note that, of course, Black goes next, and could possibly fire at the White units during the Fire Phase, and/or attack them during his Melee Phase.
That is exactly what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls