Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to try a 2 ship Rebel Build last night. I ran Lando and Wedge. Wedge had R2D2, Engine Upgrade, and Push the Limit for 40 points. I debated on giving Lando Veteran Instincts to make his ability work better with Wedge, but instead I stuck to PTL for him to go along with Assault Missiles, Chewie, Weapons Engineer, and the Flacon for 60 points.

I flew against Krassis with HLC, 2 Alphas with Stealth and Gundark.

Lando died quickly. His first attack was with the Assault missiles and he hit the Firespray and splashed 1 hit to each of the Alphas. His second attack did no damage because the Alpha rolled three natural evades while stressed. And Lando got a “roll no attack dice the next time you attack” critical so he died on the third turn without attacking first. He actually got 2 of these crits, but I used Chewie to discard one of them.

So that let me with Wedge against his 4 ships. I had tried a slick maneuver where Wedge boosted with Lando’s free action and then moved with a 4 turn around. It would have put me perfectly behind the enemy at an angle, but one of his Alpah’s barrel rolled when I thought they would focus, so I crashed. Wedge had no one to shoot at, but no one could shoot at him. It took him 2 turns to turn around, and he didn’t attack for the first time until Lando was dead.

Wedge killed all the ships and finished the game with full health.

Both of the Alphas only took 1 range 1 shot with TL and Focus because they had each sustained splash damage from the missile. And because they had pursued Lando hard, my first shot at an Alpha was at his back, and on the second shot I took out the second Alpha after he had flipped around and was stressed. Gundark took 2 shots to kill, and stripped my shields when the first attack didn’t kill him. Krassis had flown through the mess of ships taking pot shots with his rear firing arc before turning around and coming back at Wedge. By then the other ships were dead. I used an asteroid and boost to give me an extra evade die for his HLC attack and was able to avoid damage, and then maneuvered behind him to start pounding. I did a crit that gave him a stress so he couldn’t flip around, and then did another crit that made him roll no dice on his next attack. I kept finding his blind spots with boost, and I kept doing green to regenerate my shields.

We were both very impressed. But it made me want more from the rebels.

A popular build with the Imperials is Vader, Soontir, and Turr. Vader builds out to 41 points, Soontir is 33, and Turr is 26. It is a great imperial all-star list and they are all 9s and boosting and barrel rolling (sometimes daredeviling) all over the place. It is a VERY fun list to fly.

There is no equivalent with the Rebels. After having flown him, I feel Wedge as constructed above for 40 points is WAY more powerful than any of the three Imperial ships, including Vader which costs 41. Tycho + PTL + Stealth is 32 points is probably better than Turr, but not as good as Soontir. But that only leaves you with 28 points for the third ship. Luke fits that role, but with no upgrades. If Wedge is equivalent to Vader and Tycho is close to Turr, Luke is nowhere near as powerful as Soontir. I don’t even think he is as powerful as Turr. Plus, Luke and Tycho are 8’s not 9’s. Technically Turr is a 7, but most people play him with VI since firing first is so important with him. The new ships in wave three all look like they will be skilled at 8, 4, 6, and 2, so again there are no 9’s for the rebels. Yes, Han is a 9, but I’m looking for 3 small nimble ships. I guess my best choice would be to down grade R2D2 on Wedge to an R2 unit and run with the 32 point Tycho and a Green Squad with PTL. That leaves me with 9 points to put concussion missiles on 1 of the A-wings and Assault missiles on the other. But that leaves me with a 9, an 8, and a 3 skill pilot. Not exactly three nines, but they are all fast and nimble. The rebels need a skill 7 X-wing at 27 points with a neat movement or attack ability with an Elite pilot spot for VI. Or maybe a skill 7 A-wing for 24 points who can take VI and Stealth.

I guess I’m just never happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice find, using wedge in a very innovative fashion! The lack of a barrel roll makes me sad but you can't have it all, and it's amazing how strong Wedge can be if he survives to the end-game like he did here.

In lieu of having 3 nimble ships akin to an Imperial Elite list, could try and just throw some rookies and a y-wing at the opponent in a "wedge" formation with the Y running point. Wedge hangs back round 1, while rookies take beating, and fly wedge in round 2.

Gold Squadron Y-wing
2 x Rookie X-wings
Wedge w/ Push the Limit, R2-D2, Engine Upg.

Gonna sound like a conformist for saying this, as I'm sure you know this, could always add Biggs to help Wedge get to the end-game. And I do like a 360 turret with a boosting wedge as it'll help focus fire a bit as it might otherwise be tough to do, perhaps this:

Biggs
Outer Rim Smuggler w/ Luke Skywalker, MF title

And if you must have only PS 9 pilots that are super maneuverable, I'm actually really fond of a maneuverable Han:

Han Solo w/ Expert Handling, Luke Skywalker, MF title, and Engine Upg.

As others have mentioned, Theorist especially, barrel roll on a millenium falcon is ridiculously effective for avoiding arcs and is much fun on big ships. Add in Luke and Han's rerolls and you still do appreciable damage even without an action. For those times where you just can't shake the arcs, you have MF title.

As you mentioned yourself, rebels can't really make a 3-ship elite mobile list at PS 9, unfortunately. But perhaps Wave 3 with the turret madness will add some flavor and we'll see barrel rolling/engine upgraded HWK's running around the board, albeit not at PS 9 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this squadron:

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/3409/operation-twin-turbo-x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD144 wrote:

I like this a lot. I might swap Chewie for the Engine upgrade as you are very right that the barrel roll movement is excellent for a big ship. Boost is good for getting in and out of range, but barrel roll on a big ship can do the same thing, and as much as I want get out of people's range, they will still get to shoot at one of my ships eventually, and Chewie mitigates a lot of damage and at least 1 crit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arends
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
how 'bout:

Luke - R2D2, Expert Handling, Shield Upgrade
Wedge - R2, PTL, Engine
GSP - PTL, Stealth

I also like switching out GSP for Biggs, but he's not as much fun to fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Piqsid wrote:
JohnnyD144 wrote:

I like this a lot. I might swap Chewie for the Engine upgrade as you are very right that the barrel roll movement is excellent for a big ship. Boost is good for getting in and out of range, but barrel roll on a big ship can do the same thing, and as much as I want get out of people's range, they will still get to shoot at one of my ships eventually, and Chewie mitigates a lot of damage and at least 1 crit.

Yeah, I could be convinced to go with Chewbacca over Engine Upgrade. I sometimes feel having both barrel roll AND boost can be almost too much movement. Spending points on movement vs. hitpoints is a delicate balance that I'm never exactly sure how to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
40 point Wedge that takes out 4 ships single-handedly... I name him "Sledge!"

As for PS9+ pilots, it does seem odd that the Empire has so many options while the Rebels have so few:

Darth Vader
Soontir Fel
Howlrunner + Vet Instinct (rare)
Mauler Mithel + Vet Instinct
Maarek Steele + Vet Instinct (rare)
Turr Phennir + Vet Instinct
Boba Fett + Vet Instinct
Kath Scarlet + Vet Instinct

Wedge Antilles
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker + Vet Instinct (rare)
Tycho Celchu + Vet Instinct (never)
Lando Calrisian + Vet Instinct

Coming Soon:

Major Rhymer + Vet Instinct

Ten Numb + Vet Instinct
Jan Ors + Vet Instinct
* a ship hanging out with Roark Garnet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have given thought to a Rebel version of Darth, Fel, and Turf (which I call the Double Team). I plan to try:

The Crazy Eights (or, Eight Is Lucky In China)

Luke + PtL + Engine Upgrade + R2 Astromech

Tycho + PtL

Horton + Ion Cannon + Engine Upgrade + R5 Astromech

"Use the boost to get through!" I tried boost on Ion-Horton once and actually found it hilariously useful - sometimes I'd dodge an arc, other times I'd get to range 2 and negate enemy bonus dice on tailing TIEs while triggering my power. Seems a good use of an action for Horton. Luke of course is using his Upgrade and R2 to pretend he's an A-Wing.

They don't look impressive on paper compared to the double-acting Imperial stars. As noted they don't have 9 skill, and in the metagame 9 skill enemies (namely those very Imperial stars) are popular. I believe the squad could actually work for metagame reasons though. First, as Rebels, playing three ships is normal. That is to say you're not really critically losing survivability and firepower.

Second, and closely related, as Rebels you are highly likely to fight Imperials. In home matches that's all that I ever see and I hear that FFG tries to force Reb v. Imp in tournaments too. Imperials don't have 360-degree arcs, the bane of fancy-pants arc-dodgers. I saw Vader/Derf/Fel go up against a Falcon and an Ion-Wing and it was really ugly for the Empire. Matter of fact, Horton gives you a taste of that 360-degree action so you have a little something to help out against enemy 9-skills.

So I'm gonna give that a try. And I'm praying that the 7-skill TIE Bomber is quality so when Wave 3 hits I can add him to Vader, Howlrunner, and Fel for a sweet TIE All-Stars squad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
As for PS9+ pilots, it does seem odd that the Empire has so many options while the Rebels have so few:

It's not that weird. The Empire is far more heavily reliant on maneuverability than the Rebels are. A barrel roll is usually much more useful when you're moving after the enemy.

Quote:
Maarek Steele + Vet Instinct (rare)

Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperKlaus wrote:

Tycho + PtL

I call this one "Yakkety YAX (Don't Shoot Back)" because it's a Y, and A, and an X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arends
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
SuperKlaus wrote:

The Crazy Eights (or, Eight Is Lucky In China)

Tycho + PtL

"Use the boost to get through!" I tried boost on Ion-Horton once and actually found it hilariously useful - sometimes I'd dodge an arc, other times I'd get to range 2 and negate enemy bonus dice on tailing TIEs while triggering my power. Seems a good use of an action for Horton. Luke of course is using his Upgrade and R2 to pretend he's an A-Wing.

I've been trying to think of a decent rebel skill 8 squad, and this is way better than anything I came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Koehler
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
iNano78 wrote:

Coming Soon:

Ten Numb + Vet Instinct
Jan Ors + Vet Instinct

Not going to happen.

if Ten Nunb is Tycho, then Marksmenship is going to be his Push the Limit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NathanX wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Coming Soon:

Ten Numb + Vet Instinct
Jan Ors + Vet Instinct

Not going to happen.

if Ten Nunb is Tycho, then Marksmenship is going to be his Push the Limit

It depends how you want to play him. There is certainly some value in having a high-PS B-wing to take advantage of its Barrel Roll and high attack stats and secondary weapons. I could see sticking an Engine Upgrade and Vet Instincts on Numb just for the PS10 and to be like a more offensive "DareVader" (but with only 1 action per turn). Also, Push the Limit on a PS8 B-wing looks pretty good. In those cases, Numb's pilot ability is just an added bonus. But if you want to take full advantage of Numb's pilot ability, sure, load him up with Marksmanship and maybe even some Proton Torpedoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
JohnnyD144 wrote:

Does the boost action count as a green manuever for R2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy and I have been trying to develop a Rebel version of a twin Firespray squad killer. Inspired by this thread, I took the following squad into battle with terrific results!

Wedge + PTL + Engine Upgrade + R2D2 (40)
Luke + PTL + Engine Upgrade + R2F2 (38)
Prototype Pilot + Homing Missile (22)

At least one of the two Firesprays has to set up before my two X-Wings regardless of what pilots are in them, so I can avoid going head-on into at least one of them. Flown properly, the A-Wing dumps his missile and then frankly if he lives then great but his purpose is to come down the throat of the Firesprays so they have to pay attention to it (which is also my way of saying - he died fast). Meanwhile Luke and Wedge flank and try to get to the side of a Firespray for some free shots. Flown properly, both X-Wings should be able to stay to the side or behind the Firesprays the majority of the time with boost, and with PTL and the two droids Wedge can go heal when he needs to and Luke is crazy hard to hit between R2F2's agility, his ability to boost, and his pilot ability to focus on defense. In the instances a Firespray would get an HLC into potential action against one of them, I managed to get behind an asteroid more often than I didn't. Acting last and shooting first against these things was VERY helpful.

Most importantly maybe - this squad was a BLAST to fly!!! This has been something I've been working to solve for weeks (a Rebel Firespray killer squad), so very appreciative to Piqsid and the others in this thread for the inspiration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enies wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
JohnnyD144 wrote:

Does the boost action count as a green manuever for R2?

Boost is not a maneuver. Daredevil is a maneuver (or at least makes you take a maneuver). But it doesn't really matter as only Tycho can perform Boost when stressed, and he can't use R2.

Now if Lando could equip both Daredevil and an R2-astromech, he could give out a free action when taking a green maneuver, then perform a Daredevil and give out another free action. Alas, no way to put a droid on the Falcon ... (yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IainHamp wrote:
A buddy and I have been trying to develop a Rebel version of a twin Firespray squad killer. Inspired by this thread, I took the following squad into battle with terrific results!

Wedge + PTL + Engine Upgrade + R2D2 (40)
Luke + PTL + Engine Upgrade + R2F2 (38)
Prototype Pilot + Homing Missile (22)

If you change the 2 droids to generic R2 units you save 5 points and the 2 X-Wings become much more maneuverable because they gain a bunch of green. And with the 5 points you can upgrade the prototype to a green squad with PTL, assuming you have three A-Wings to have three PTL cards. Then the A-Wing doesn't have to just be fodder. I will definitely fly this list. You lose the defensive bonuses, but the added maneuverability, should keep you even more out of firing arcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.