Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My SO wants me to provide her my top 5 games that I want so she can choose one to give me as a birthday present. Help me out BGG!

Preferences (nothing is 100% required):

1. Plays well with 1-3 (mostly 1-2)
2. Thematic
3. Can get SO to play with me (she likes 1960, Agricola, Dominion, etc.)

Here are my currents favorites:

Mage Knight
Dominion
Eclipse
Twilight Struggle
Agricola

Here are the games I am considering:

SoTM
Space Alert
Seasons
King of Tokyo (I really want this one, but am thinking since we are MOSTLY two player, it might not be the best).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SoTM is a good two player game that is very thematic and fun, it's also easily expandable.
Seasons is also a good two player game with a fair amount of depth.

My SO and I also like:

Lost Cities (not particularly thematic but fun)
Pandemic (you and SO vs the game, very fun!)

You may also want to try:

Race for the Galaxy or San Juan which are both 'euro' style card games (engine building, no 'take that' element, etc.)

Two player games I really like:
Netrunner
Mage Wars

But your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner is indeed a great 2 player game. But you'll have to see whether your SO would like it or not. I'm a bit hesitant here.

If you want to skip the construction of decks you could look at Revolver or Revolver 2: Last Stand at Malpaso. First one has seen more expansions published and announced while the second seems to be the better base game.

One which is fairly obvious to me is 1989: Dawn of Freedom. It's basically the sequel to Twilight Struggle.

Another one your SO might enjoy could be The Castles of Burgundy. But it's not even remotely thematic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about some Dominion expansions? Hinterlands has really caused a resurgance of Dominion play in my house. After almost no Dominion games over the last 12 months, Dominion has surged back to the most played game in the house, by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love Space Alert, and consider it my favorite coop, I would not suggest it for a group that does not have 4-5 players.

Seasons, on the other hand does play well with 2, and it should appeal to your love for Dominion, with the goal of playing synergistic cards.

As for games not on your list, I would suggest looking at Neuroshima Hex! and Zpocalypse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rynunes wrote:
My SO wants me to provide her my top 5 games that I want so she can choose one to give me as a birthday present. Help me out BGG!

Give your SO the list of 5 and let the SO select the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bahz mukslinger
Canada
flag msg tools
+1 Race for the Galaxy
+1 Android Netrunner
marvel Legendary w/t dark city
Ghost Stories or Pandemic for co-op

I think Race for the Galaxy is a good choice, your SO, may like it. Netrunner looks like it's right up your ally, you'll have to decide if it's a good fit for your SO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner does look good. My question would be whether or not it plays well out of the box.

Lots of good suggestions here. Anyone wanna give me some input on Mice and Mystics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of my girlfriend favorites:

Elder Sign
Seasons
Arena: Roma II
Takenoko
Galaxy Trucker
Agents of SMERSH
Lords of Waterdeep
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

All play great with two, good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Liouville
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From your list Seasons is the one that play best with 2 players It is also the one that fits best with the games that you list as your favorites.

I find SoTM to be very boring. KoT and Space Alert are both games I love but they are a lot less involved than the other games you like (except Dominion) and the sweet spots are respectively at 5-6 and 4-5 players.

I would suggest Dominare and Yedo as games that go very well with your preferences.

If you wan't something that is soloable, Thunderstone Advance is a great step up from Dominion and it has much more theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into For The Crown if you like Dominion and have even a passing interest in chess. I picked this up and my wife and I have become absolutely fascinated by it. It only plays with two players, but it is an amazing game that has been largely overlooked due to the size and reach of the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ang
United States
Encino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
If she likes Agricola, another good game is At the Gates of Loyang which plays well 1-3 (although 3 is a touch on the slow side).

+1 Seasons. It's good with 2-3, and plays sort of like Magic: The Gathering.
+1 Sentinels of the Multiverse. Plays well with 3-4. Solo requires one to play multiple characters. Personally, I find playing with 2 to be very challenging, unless one or both players plays a second character.

You mention that one of your favorites is Twilight Struggle, but that your SO likes 1960: The Making of the President. Does she not like Twilight Struggle because of the extra complexity over 1960: The Making of the President, the increased confrontation, or both?

Based on your list of favorites, King of Tokyo is very light and luck-oriented.

On the deck-building side, there's Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, which plays well with 1-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Z

Littleton
Colorado
msg tools
mbmb
Not sure you will like king of tokyo... It is no where near as strategic as the ones you have mentioned.

I would suggest (the most strategic being Dungeon Petz):

Loyang
Finca
Flashpoint
Samurai
Dungeon Petz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When is your birthday and how do you feel about a Dungeon Crawl type game?

I recommend Darkest Night (First edition) or Eminent Domain and the expansion pack. The latter plays best 2 or 4+.

You're right in thinking King of Tokyo is no good for 2 players. I would argue that it is only good with 4 or more and with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily consider myself a Euro gamer and Agricola is my favorite. Games I enjoy playing 2 player are:

Race for the Galaxy - especially the 2 player advanced mode
Homesteaders - there is a dummy player but it's very simple
The Castles of Burgundy - a little lighter than Agricola

Some longer games I also enjoy 2 players:
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - the advanced game runs around 2-2.5 hrs
Brass: Lancashire - there's a good 2 player variant. Theme is a little dry though

If you also enjoy Dominion style deck building and are interested in some variations on it, I also enjoy :
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin - fighting monsters, more complicated and longer but I really enjoy the theme. Also potentially more downtime with more players. When I play with 2,I use fewer monsters to help speed up the game.
Nightfall - very confrontational, you are forced to attack your opponents. I like the chaining mechanic and I feel the card effects can be very unique and interesting. I normally don't like direct conflict games due to the politics of choosing who to attack, so I prefer this game 2 player since you have no choice of who to attack. I also play with more wounds so I have more time to create an awesome deck and actually get to execute it. I also think it's slightly less chaotic with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.