Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
With a baby just about to arrive in our household, game opportunities are few and far between. Sensing that I was going to be able to leave work early on Friday, I hastily recruited a couple of the gang for a quick afternoon game session.

Kelly and I were the first to arrive at the cafe, with Ed getting stuck in traffic. I had brought games suitable for 3 or 4, and when it became clear that it was going to be just Kelly and me for a whie, we had little option but to play Can't Stop, the only game onhand that worked with 2.

Explaining the rules was a relative breeze. I also taught Kelly our important game day routine. . . whenever someone busts in Can't Stop, it is oligatory to say, in the manner of the old Naked Gun films:

"Is this some kinda bust?"

(Solemnly) "Yes, that's very impressive, but. . . "

Kelly started out with a bang, taking (what I thought to be) big risks, and getting away with them early on. I have a pet theory about Can't Stop, which is that "rational" play rarely wins. If you have a group of four people, and if two of them are purely intuitive players, heedless of the odds, one of those will probably win. The two odds-obeyers will stop when they should, whereas of the two other players, at least one is bound to be someone who takes big risks and gets away with it. Kelly seemed to be proving the point by jetting out to a big lead.

I played a little more aggressively than I typically do, to try to keep up with her. She did bust on one of her rolls, but she still was in a nice position.

Then Ben showed up, he being our normal Can't Stop champion. With his toddler in tow, he didn't join our game, but he offered advice to Kelly, and then her luck turned. Or rather, her play. She started to be more conservative, and I wound up jetting past her when I took carefully targeted risks. Afterwards, I conjectured that she needed to be a bit more aggressive late in the game when she drifted behind.

There was only one "bust" the entire game, so I won essentially because I pushed my luck a bit more than she did. The sequence:

I capped the 9 line.

Kelly then conquered the 6.

I then took the 7.

I won the game on my next move, on a lucky first roll that put my "2" column over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.