Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fairly new to gaming would love some suggestion on what to buy next rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amanda Skogberg
Canada
Weyburn
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
So my family has been getting into playing more board games lately ( trying desperately to get the kids away from the electronics) and I have purchased a few and we have enjoyed them but we have a few birthdays coming up so I would like to get some suggestions from people who have played some games as to what to put on our family list. Aswell as a family list some good two and three player games for my husband and I and sometimes my sister comes to play with us.
So as for our family we have a 10 year old boy( who loves to play games and can participate with the adults if the game theme is appropriate .
A 6 year old girl and a 3 year old girl( not to worried about games for the three year old as she will grow into them.
We have most of the traditional games that you can purchase at walmart. Like sorry, monopoly, UNO , candy land,

We have really loved the few coop games we have bought so coop games are a good suggestion as we can help the 6 year old.

Game we have purchase in the last few months are- so you have an idea the type of games we like are
Pandemic
Castle panic
Forbidden island
Flash point( but have not played yet as we just bought a few days ago)
Survive escape from Atlantis
Hey that's my fish
Qwirkle

Games that we have had for a while but wanted more variety
Settlers of Catania
Ticket to ride( think this is my favourite - I have two expansions Asia and Africa and 1910- mainly for the bigger cards )
Ingenious

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo and Augustus for sure. I think you have probably the best possible collection of light-ish coops; except Mice and Mystics, which I think would fit very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Skogberg
Canada
Weyburn
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks I have king of Tokyo on the to buy list for my son I think he would love it. I will look at mice and mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ang
United States
Encino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are a variety of Fluxx games; I'm sure one or another would have a theme that the family might enjoy, and my friend's six-year-old could play the game (with a little bit of help).

If you like Pandemic, there's Defenders of the Realm, which is Pandemic with monsters, miniatures, and dice.

Other good games (but too hard for the 6-year-old) include:
Zooloretto
Carcassonne
Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zohar B
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another nice (IMHO) and light coop game is Lord of the Rings. I would also recommend Dice Town and Fearsome Floors for family-oriented playing. Both light and relatively interactive.

z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG!

A fun dexterity game that I think everyone in a family can enjoy is Loopin' Louie.

Whatever you choose I hope you and yours have a good time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like monopoly then try Acquire. (The older copies of Acquire are nicer than the latest one). If you like coop games then you may want to try Shadows over Camelot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

The BGG gift guide might give you some ideas:

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Board_Game_Gift_Guide_201...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old likes Survive: Escape from Atlantis!.

But her favorite game is Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit, too bad it's out of print. soblue

I think the family would like 7 Wonders or For Sale, both quick games with a little strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get Fauna and You're Bluffing!.

Guaranteed hits with kids, if they like animals. And interesting for adults, too.

Zooloretto and Fast Flowing Forest Fellers have also been hits with my nephews (8 and 11) recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a little direct conflict doesn't put you off, I would suggest Jamaica. Another game you might enjoy is PitchCar or, if the theme and illustrations don't put you off, the mechanically similar (and IMHO more fun) Catacombs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm just sayin'. Crokinole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest hits in My house this year have been Viticulture (My daughters new absolute favorite, but probably no good for the six-year old) and Fleet (which would work fine).
My wife says getting Pandemic: On the Brink is a Must, as well
(It really does add a lot to the gameplay, but depending on which edition of Pandemic you have
may be tricky to match sets).

A couple of Family games still worth playing (with the six year old in mind)
Apples to Apples was my daughters favorite from 5 until she turned 10 or 12.
It does eventually get old, but it's always fresh for the kiddos.
With the three year old in mind, I'd suggest Cityscape, Abalone Quattro, Rolit and Blokus.

If Ticket to Ride is a big one with you? Especially the larger cards?
You should absolutely pick up Ticket to Ride: USA 1910.
(I actually have a spare copy of this, open but unused;
If you'd like my spare copy, I'll send it to you Gratis as a 'pay it forward' kind of deal.
Geekmail me if you are interested!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, gaming kid at age 6 and 10. I cannot wait to do that in 5 years with my daughter.

Well Forbidden Desert is coming out this month. Unexploded Cow is a real light game to enjoy with young people. I taught to my niece and nephew pretty quickly. [Help out in his simple numbers too].

I think Queen's Atonis a quick and fun two player game

Oh, yeah Tom Vasel's daughter Melody reviews games that she is interested in too and has her own top 10. It is worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is a great choice for a family game ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Lee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Some of my favs and ones that the 6 year old could join in:
Dixit
Sequence
Gobblet
Jungle Speed
10 Days (Asia/Africa/USA/Americas/Europe) --> you might like these if you enjoy Ticket to Ride
Sitting Ducks Gallery

Just to name a few. Simple games but those that are still fun and require thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my gaming is with my son (10) and older daughter (7) and wife.
For games you could play with your 6 year old I would add Unnamed Object which is a fun push your luck game. I wouldn't play with less than 4 though.

If you enjoy Survive, we do, then I think you would also enjoy King of Tokyo as others have already mentioned. This is a very different game than Survive, for one the game basically chooses who you attack depending on whether you are in Tokyo or not.

A classic would be Carcassonne with the inns and cathedrals expansion.
We love this game with 2, but it also is fun with more. Up to 6 with the expansion and your 6 year old could play.

Lastly I will mention a game that is getting harder to find, but is a great family game, Finca. Plays great 2-4.

This is one I haven't played but will be on my next order, Can't Stop.

Good luck and happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to throw in a rec for Lords of Vegas. It's like someone took Monopoly and Catan, squished them together, ran out all the bloat and fat, added some colorful theme and components, and put it in a godawful box. Plays 3-4 (ignore 2) in 45 minutes.

+1 Dominion. Addictive as hell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something for the ten year old boy, Summoner Wars: Master Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second the recommendation for Unexploded Cow; indeed if its whimsical style appeals, I'd suggest a browse through the publisher's back catalogue for similarly silly games, most of which cost less than a fiver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second King of Tokyo.

Also If you like the trading Settlers then I recommend you look into Bohnanza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gift list linked above is great

Sleeping Queens is probs good with the 6 year old

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your kids enjoy superheroes, I would recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse as a great co-op game where everyone gets to play as their own superhero against a villain and can be played from 1-5 players.

Definitely pick up King of Tokyo as I have yet to find someone who doesn't enjoy it. I personally love Mice and Mystics but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. Citadels is a great game that can be played with anywhere from 2-8 players, so you get allot out of it. Once Upon a Time is a story-telling game, so it definitely encourages creativity and you can even have a little bit of back and forth going with interrupt cards.

Since you are trying to get your kids away from electronics, you may enjoy Super Dungeon Explore as it plays like the videogame, Gauntlet, but it is a minis boardgame and so you have to assemble the base set, but all other sets come preassembled. Probably my wife's favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for apples to apples

Dominion is a good game, but nothing at all for a 6 year old, and critical also for some 10 years or even adults. Might be loved by the 10 year-old, or not.

Las Vegas could also be a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our kids are almost exactly the same ages. I have 3 girls, aged 10, 6, and almost 3. The 10 year old can play almost anything. Some of the games we like to play with her are Agricolaand Le Havre.

A recent favourite and definitely one I would recommend to have in the family gaming library is Railways of the World. It's a fantastic family game, the rules are few and not complex. They can also be easily simplified without affecting game play (not using operations cards for example). As an added bonus, it looks beautiful.

I also recommend Escape: The Curse of the Temple. It's a fun, fast paced, dice-rolling game. It only lasts 10 minutes (great for school nights) and everyone plays simultaneously. The 3 year old doesn't actually play with us, but she likes to sit at the table and roll the dice.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread to see some of the other suggestions. I am finding it very difficult to find games that are suitable for both the 6 and 10 year old. But that is a problem that will fix itself soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.