7 Posts

Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flashing Blades question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Ranger get its second attack only if it uses its base melee attack? e.g. if I play a card like Power Attack (or any other Order card that is a Standard Attack) do I still get the Flashing Blades second attack (assuming damage is dealt)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
Microbadge: Casual wargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Motörhead fan
The card reads: Whenever a melee attack made by the Human Ranger deals damage (regardless how much damage is dealt) you can chose to have the Human Ranger deal another 10 damage to any creature adjacent to it. (emphasis and clarification mine)

Note that the creature card uses "melee attack", so as long as the order card causes a melee attack to happen you get to deal the extra 10 damage. Bonus points if you find a card that causes you to make multiple attacks and deal the 10 extra damage more than once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, well this where things get tricky. I have the card in front of me. It reads: "Whenever a target takes damage from this creature's melee attack, this creature can deal 10 damage to 1 adjacent creature."

The wording implies to me that Flashing Blades can only be used as part of the Ranger's (crappy) base attack, not an attack as a result of an Order card which essentially "replaces" the base attack on the card.

If I knew Flashing Blades kicked in whenever the Ranger makes ANY kind of melee attack, it would be much better.

What do you think? I've tried to look up official rulings but can't seem to find any on this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Melee attacks granted by order cards trigger Flashing Blades just as well as the default attack. Contrast with the Umber Hulk and Horned Devil abilities, which give you an extra effect that doesn't work with order cards in the form of a standard-action-only tap ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
Microbadge: Casual wargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Motörhead fan
Raolin wrote:
The wording implies to me that Flashing Blades can only be used as part of the Ranger's (crappy) base attack, not an attack as a result of an Order card which essentially "replaces" the base attack on the card.

What do you think? I've tried to look up official rulings but can't seem to find any on this point.
The rules on melee attacks:
Quote:
All creatures can make melee attacks. A melee attack must target a creature adjacent to the attacking creature. The target cannot be on the other side of a wall.

The creature deals its Melee Damage (sword icon) to the target creature. Order cards and other game effects might change a melee attack's damage.
Emphasis mine.

There is no implication that the "basic" melee attack and ones granted by order cards differ in any way except for damage. Therefore Flashing Blades also triggers whenever an order card tells you to make a melee attack.
I would even go as far as to say it triggers whenever you make an attack against adjacent creatures, since those have to be melee attacks.

Note that something like Hurl Rock would not trigger Flashing Blades (even if an adjacent creature is chosen), since it says "deal damage" rather than "make an attack".
As for why this ability specifies "melee attack" compared to the Earth Elemental's ability that simply specifies "attack" (even though both only have a melee attack) I do not know.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
many order cards change the melee attack, ie. melee +20, this would still trigger the flashing blades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, it seems clear now. I've made a warband with 3 Rangers, 3 Half-Orc Thugs, 3 Elf Archers and 3 Clerics... it's a fun one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls