Subject: Elevation bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Comandante
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a Stargrunt game (with Star Wars minis) and highly appreciate the possibilities offered by this set of rules. I rank it higher than the WEG SW miniatures battles previously tried.

We had a interrogation about taking positions on elevations, hills, or storeys and gaining no bonus from it during combat. I would propose to lower one die type (not open) the Range die of a target being fired upon by a unit one level above.

Any comments ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why?
There's no evidence that firing downhill is any easier than firing on the flat. Apart from very steep terrain, the troops at the lower level can still use the available cover.
There are some problems getting troops to aim correctly at targets at a lower elevation, although the example of this fact that I recall related to muskets in the Napoleonic wars and StarGrunt weapons probably fire far enough before drop due to gravity has an effect that this doesn't matter - veterans and elites can probably adjust correctly.

A range adjustment to make it harder to fire at someone at a higher elevation might be worth having but if they are not in position, you could argue that they are easier to spot against the horizon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Comandante
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering.

The reasons why I was thinking about that were two :

- the more valid, I think, is that from an upper point of sighting, the "in position" bonus of your target is almost irrelevant. Being in position is using the small elements of terrain (being prone in small holes which are not foxholes, small bushes, small rocks which don't provide a real cover but still make fire more difficult for your enemy). I was just visualizing that, if you as a firer stays five meters upon the level of your target, these small elements tend to be flattened, thus giving you an advantage.

- the second one is more from a gaming point of view : to give an interest taking (and retaking) positions on top of hills and upper sites (and give a small advantage to AT-ST in the background I play with ). Not only in LoS terms, but also in firing capacity.

An intermediate solution could be that an unit firing upon a lower unit cancels its potential bonus of being in position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Goffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I do the following:

A unit on the crest of a slope or the edge of a flat surface like a plateau or roof top has soft cover to fire from below.

A unit being fired on from above does not get cover from non-overhead cover. Thus a target unit at the edge of woods has cover to fire from above, but a target unit in a hole does not have cover, although it would have cover from units at the same level.

This situation seems to occur most often when one unit is on a roof and the other is on the ground. The unit on the roof may have pretty good cover from below, but they have to expose their heads to shoot, so I call it soft cover, not hard (probably from years of playing Striker, where a wound received in cover is one level worse because it was probably a head wound).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.