Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing face to face, what's the best way to select among papal debaters using only six sided die if there are 7 or 11 eligible (or 13 if I've miscounted and there are more than 12 papal debaters)? I've been using random.org, but was hoping there might be a diced based solution that wasn't too convoluted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pull from a bag or a cup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe split them into two groups, roll a d6 for each to pick one from each group, then roll the two winnders of (1-3 this one, 4-6 that one).

Eg:

A, B, C, D in one group (G1)

E, F, G, H, I in the other (G2).

G1D6 - 5 (reroll)
G1D6 - 3 (C is picked)
G2D6 - 1 (E is picked)

(C versus E)D6 - 2 (C is picked)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
Maybe split them into two groups, roll a d6 for each to pick one from each group, then roll the two winnders of (1-3 this one, 4-6 that one).

Eg:

G1D6 - 5 (reroll)
G1D6 - 3 (C is picked)
G2D6 - 1 (E is picked)

If you are the Papal player and you use this system, make sure Eck is in the first group. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Amnese wrote:

Eg:

G1D6 - 5 (reroll)
G1D6 - 3 (C is picked)
G2D6 - 1 (E is picked)

If you are the Papal player and you use this system, make sure Eck is in the first group. whistle

Oh, you need to roll a die for each counter to determine what group it goes into...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
w teefha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm, i use a d12. (i never leave home without it....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teefha wrote:

I actually recommend a full range of Dice for the Pope just for this reason (d6, d8, d10, d12, just a d4 is maybe a bit overkill).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ståle Mellesdal
Norway
Lillestrøm
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, if you'd like to be cumbersome but correct, you could always roll a d6 twice to generate a number between 1-36. With 7, you'd get debater A on 1-5, B on 6-10 and so on, and reroll 36. With 11, it would be A on 1-3, B on 4-6 etc, and reroll 34-36.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
TedW wrote:
Amnese wrote:

Eg:

G1D6 - 5 (reroll)
G1D6 - 3 (C is picked)
G2D6 - 1 (E is picked)

Oh, you need to roll a die for each counter to determine what group it goes into...

Or reroll the "group roll" as well when you need to reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Carreras Salvadó
Spain
Vilablareix
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Ottoman, tell me a number from 1 to 11"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teefha wrote:

BOOM. Yes. I agree here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Immanio wrote:
Well, if you'd like to be cumbersome but correct, you could always roll a d6 twice to generate a number between 1-36. With 7, you'd get debater A on 1-5, B on 6-10 and so on, and reroll 36. With 11, it would be A on 1-3, B on 4-6 etc, and reroll 34-36.

Math NERD... Sorry. I just suck at math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
w teefha
msg tools
mbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
teefha wrote:

I actually recommend a full range of Dice for the Pope just for this reason (d6, d8, d10, d12, just a d4 is maybe a bit overkill).

you can give the d4 to the Prot for some rolls, till he needs only a d3 or a coin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teefha wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
teefha wrote:

you can give the d4 to the Prot for some rolls, till he needs only a d3 or a coin...

Helping the heretic? He can bloody well bring his own d4 and coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immanio wrote:

Thanks! That's a pretty easy way to do it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You use a single round robin tournament. Each debater rolls off against each other debater to determine a single winner. Reroll ties.

Swiss style would allow for fewer rounds. It can be considered unfair when a good debater just has a bad outing, but it also eliminates the perfunctory later rounds where one debater has nothing left to play for.

If the Ottomans won't agree to host the rolls in one of their neutral keys you can go to a double round robin to compensate for home field advantage, but it can be a real pain to roll the dice in Zurich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Post
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My system's similar to one that's already been mentioned, but maybe a bit simpler. Pope adds enough phantom debaters to make his debater total evenly divisible by six; then splits up the debaters so that all the phantoms go in the same group; then roll a d6 to see which group of 6 is selected; then rolls again to see who wins in each group. If a phantom wins reroll the first die. (I like putting all the fake numbers in the same group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fawr
msg tools
mbmb
The easiest way to roll a D12 when you only have d6 is to roll 1d6 twice. If the first roll is odd the 2nd roll is your result. If the first roll is even the result is the 2nd roll +6.

If you roll a number which doesn't give you a debater (eg you roll a 10 when there are 8 debaters) then you need to reroll both dice.

Utana wrote:
"Ottoman, tell me a number from 1 to 11"

We do this in games where we don't have dice readily available. However we shuffle them and put them in order somewhere where the Ottoman player can't see who is on top, and then say "choose a number from 1 to 11, 1 is the top one".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.