Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What would you guys do to keep me from winning? ***** SPOILERS***** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris a
msg tools
My group of friends started this game with picking personal factions so every game we played we all get our own factions without going through the hassle of wasting a turn picking. So far I've won 6 out of 10 games and 2 of the other players have 2 wins each with the other 2 with no wins.

One of the ones that won had N.A. but since he was the bringer of fire there and with (2) -1 unit scars in the center with the bio hazard, no one ever starts there.

I'm currently one of the butt holes that managed to take Australia every game and now there are two major cities, one ruin city and a worlds capital (all in Aus)with a mercenary scar at the adjacent asia territory and a bunker indonesia along with my Die Mecha +1 to HQ.

Someone was smart enough to connect the alien island to east Aus to south africa but since I start off with the highest population AND their is no way for any one to keep me from from starting in indonesia it really is pointless. Who ever starts in that island is throwing the game in hopes of slowing me down because one of the other players always starts in africa. And i put a -1 on S.A. so no one starts there either

What would you guys do to keep me from winning anymore games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
attack and totally wipe you off the board ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Insist on playing by the rules as written.

In all seriousness, this.

Some factions are designed to be better than other factions, especially as the campaign progresses. To always be guaranteed one faction does two things:

1) It gives you one of the better factions through the game. This means that you can solely tailor that faction with scars, safe in the knowledge that they will never be used against you. In a game where the faction I play today may be opposing me tomorrow, I will be more likely to balance it when I scar it.

2) It also, as you say, gives one less draft pick - and that makes a huge difference to the picking order. You remove one variable from the draft selection, which makes it easier to get the draft picks you want - and with a tailored faction already in hand, that makes a big difference.

Most importantly, the World Capital. The WC doesn't go to the PLAYER, it goes to the FACTION. Which means that playing the game by the rules, a lot of the time you would NOT get the automatic world capital in your secured home region: someone else would be in there. By kicking out one of the basic rules of the game, you've nerfed the WC power to ensure that you always get it,

So I don't think there is much I can say to the other guys. The game has been unbalanced to the point where it is going to be next to impossible to counter the significant advantages that you are (by your house rules) guaranteed to get every time.

I hope the experience doesn't put you all off Risk Legacy. That one little rule change has turned it into a totally different, and unbalanced, game from the game it was designed to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Insist on playing by the rules as written.
As above, this is step one.

Adding the promo cards is a good step two.

But really, it's step one or nothing. A group that would refuse to play by the actual rules when it's clear that their house rules are reliably, consistently unfair is not a group I'm interested in playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kingsbury
Canada
sherbrooke
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one could start with the mutants in N.A.
Start with the alien on alien island
these factions are there to re balance the game. you should use them
and they're fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shua The Broom
Canada
flag msg tools
If you played from that point on with my group of gamers, we would crush you. Teaming up in this scenario is quite easy to do. Set up camp and hit you one after the other repeatedly in favor of the exact same guy winning each of the remaining 5 games, thus winning the board 7-6 over you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris a
msg tools
Yea we already decided to buy an other and play with the actual rules once we are done with this one. We've all been playing risk and other games together for 10+ years. We have a lot of risks, from Halo, Starcraft, 2210, Metal Gear, Godstorm and I can easily say Legacy is the best.

Playing with our own factions was something we all wanted to do (not one person's decision) because it sounded like a good idea at the time and we managed to acquire the Factions expansion for 2210 and loved that aspect of it and just wanted to personalized something to our own playing style. We didn't have ANY IDEA how it was going to play out later or how the game would have changed.

I see how over powered my faction has become. That's why I got on here to get some opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuegoverde wrote:
I see how over powered my faction has become. That's why I got on here to get some opinion.

Good stuff - and glad you're going to go with another copy!

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot can be done to balance out your current campaign. You could go with the full draft rules which would balance things out a bit, but after so many games with the same faction that might not "feel" right at this stage.

You may just have to resign yourself to winning the campaign....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
If you don't want to adapt the full drafting rules entirely then:

1) print off and start using the bonus pack cards
2) put mutants and aliens in the draft as an optional pick - players still can't pick someone else's faction, but they can play one of the others

You could also look up the Tyrant rules on this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris a
msg tools
It's funny you say that Dean since that is how we play. Aliens and Mutants are the ones that are allowed to get picked in the draft. Specially since one of the Factions is the Bringer of fire and the Alien Collaborator he chooses not to play with his faction anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.