Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Giant game variants. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I was thinking about all the editions of Ascension that have been released so far, and what kind of way to play the game could be possible if all sets are brought together into one game. So I hope someone can answer these questions.

The first thing I'm wondering about is, while there seem to be 3 or maybe even 5 boards by the time of the release of Rise of Vigil, what particular board should you use? After watching the different reviews on sites such as YouTube, it seems to me that the Storm of Souls board would be the most appropriate one to use, because it has more slots for cards than the other ones.

Second is the number of participating players that could play this game in theory, if you add up all the starter decks in every set. There would be a possibility for a game to be played by 16 players. Of course a number of players like that around one table would be totally ridiculous, but however the rulebooks read that up to 6 players can play the game, I don't know for what reason the game could not be played by a little larger number, like 7 or 8 players. Those things also happen with board games like Settlers of Catan, which is said to be played by a maximum of 6 players, while I've even seen miniture packages (purple and black) for up to 8 players. If it is not possible, then I think it was better the make the expansions real expansions instead of addational stand-alone games, because in this case the other starter decks are useless. I would not play it with 16 people, or even more after the release of more editions, but somehow I still feel the need for all of them to be useful.

That last sentence leads me to my third point. Let's say that the game is really best played with 3 or 4 people, but you are playing the game with the enormous amount of approximately 500 center deck cards, and you don't wan't all the other starter cards to be useless, isn't it an idea to use a multiple number of starter decks as one single starter deck instead (for example a doubled starter deck containing 16 Apprentices, 4 Militias and 2 Energy Shards (Rise of Vigil), or tripled or even quadropled)? Really, if you like playing a single game that lasts the whole evening, you don't want to set aside all the other starter decks every time.

I know, it all sounds ridiculous and sure it is, but there's still a core of truth in it. I would like to hear whatever thoughts there are.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
I have every ascension set apart from rise of the vigal, I've tried to play 5, 6, and once even an 8 player game. Personally I feel that anything over 4 players just takes too long, there's too much down time between players turns.

Also there is only a game board with the core sets, and the game board will only contain what is necessary for that set. For example Storm of souls has a space for events while rise of the vigal doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
if you like playing a single game that lasts the whole evening...
... try something else, not Ascension. I suggest Die Macher, Through the Ages, Antiquity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
And how about the doubled starter deck variant for four players with a 200 card center deck? Turns are as long as normal then and the mechanics work as fast as normal, but the whole game is just longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We play mixing all sets. Haven't seen a reason not to.

But not more than 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls