Subject: A:NR Invitational, Starts Broadcasting July 7th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Dlr [+] andi [+] [View All]
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I’ve been planning a small event for the past few weeks, inspired by Jopejope’s Jinteki-Sponsored Tournament. For this event, a handful of BGG users were invited to participate in a tournament meant to showcase promising deck designs that the participants currently feel are under-represented within BGG discussion.

This Tournament will be single-elimination format, last three rounds, and will be played over three weeks. All games will be recorded, commented, and made available for viewing and discussion on a weekly basis (this thread; Sunday afternoons, PST).

Eight players are currently participating. They were invited based on one of two criterion:

1. Distinguishing contribution or involvement within the BGG A:NR community.
2. Distinguishing contribution or application of A:NR strategy on BGG.

Four players from each of the two categories are currently participating:

Community:
Asroybal - Regular A:NR video streamer
Dbzer0 - OCTGN A:NR plugin developer; maintainer of the OCTGN dataset; A:NR video series
Shobalk - Organizer of the BGG OCTGN league
Tuism - Actively involved BGG community member

Strategy:
AlexFrog - Active A:NR theory and strategy writer
Jopejope - Author of multiple high-rated A:NR strategy articles; 1st place at 2013 SoCal regionals
Orange Devil - Runner up in both BGG OCTGN Tournaments (64 person and 128 person fields)
Sydwys8 - GenCon ’12 Icebreaker tournament winner

Each player was requested to bring a runner deck and a corporation deck that they thought:

1. Showed promise as a competitive deck
2. Was relatively under-represented within BGG discussion

or

3. Took a well-established deck archetype and created a substantial variation of it

Game commentary will be provided by Myself, SneakySly, and Kordan11. As players are eliminated, they will also be invited to do commentary on subsequent rounds.

The first round of videos will be available here, Sunday July 7th, 2pm PST! I invite you all to come see some members of the BGG community play against each other, discuss their decks, their playing, and generally have a fun time thinking about A:NR!

Round 1 Pairings

Tuism vs. Sydwys8
Dbzer0 vs. AlexFrog
Shobalk vs. Jopejope
Asroybal vs. Orange Devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! I'm excited to see how this goes down .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea!

This is great, as regionals are over, the community is starved for some more action (and also starving for some news about something actually Netrunner relevant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eagerly awaiting the videos now, thanks to all involved ahead of time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must say this was an awesome exercise, I love building out-of-the-way decks and this was a good chance to see other people do the same, but in a competitive environment, too

My first games with Sydwys8 has been done already, I look forward to these vids! (and so should you Sydwys8... The view was VERY different from my end!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kempe-Cook
United States
BLOOMINGTON
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Must say this was an awesome exercise, I love building out-of-the-way decks and this was a good chance to see other people do the same, but in a competitive environment, too

My first games with Sydwys8 has been done already, I look forward to these vids! (and so should you Sydwys8... The view was VERY different from my end!)
Of course I am!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Just a little update/reminder. The first matches will be airing for this event July 7th at 2pm PST. I will post links to the videos in this thread, and they will also be up on my YouTube channel.

The first round has four matches (detailed in first post). To make sure everything is in manageable bites, I think we'll only broadcast HALF of the first round this week. The next half will be broadcast during the week of the 14th, then the semifinals in the week of the 21st, and the finals in the week of the 28th.

So, this week's quarterfinals matches (July 7):
Shobalk vs. Jopejope
Tuism vs. Sydwys8

Next week's quarterfinals matches (July 14):
Asroybal vs. Orange Devil
Dbzer0 vs. AlexFrog

Semifinals matches (July 21):
???
???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Looking forward to watching. I am especially curious as to what Alex came up with, considering he has such strong opinions on what the best cards/decks are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was fun!

Unfortunately I never drew any of my 'special' cards. So much for showing that a certain not well known card is actually super amazing.

Edit: DB0 did Data Hound one of them away though, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah same here pretty much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Ok, first games are being uploaded and will be available soon!

Round 1, Week 1:
Tuism vs. Sydwys8 (Commentary by SneakySly and Hollis)
Jopejope vs. Shobalk (Commentary by Kordan11 and SneakySly) (coming soon)

Interviews:

Post-Game Interview: Tuism vs. Sydwys8 (Coming Soon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Ok, note we are running into a couple technical difficulties (read: I completely underestimated how long it would take to edit files and upload them to YouTube -- three of the matches were played this morning), so the second video for this week might be delayed a bit. Interviews with the players will follow later in the afternoon.

Edit:

Ok, I am throwing my hands up in defeat and just uploading raw videos. Some commentators used different screen capture software than I, and it is causing me difficulties in terms of editing out non-relevant footage. This week's videos might have a few minutes of non-gameplay footage here and there, and I apologize for that. The next few weeks will be a little bit cleaner, since I'll have a week between gameplay and posting for editing, rather than trying to work with a two hour window

Important lessons learned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that first game between shobalk and jopejope, when shobalk didn't play that melange behind the enigma was such a bad play that I think pretty much lost him the game He would have been in a very strong position if he has done it and got a significant economic advantage.

Never discount money in Jinteki. All their tricks are so expensive.

EDIT: Jeez, so much NBN. If I knew it I would have played Jinteki instead. I think next time people should post what factions they're planning to play, so that we can see more variations of IDs.

PS:
Quote:
Edit: DB0 did Data Hound one [Data Leak Reversal] away though, lol.
Sniff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting games so far.
Really enjoyed the commentary from Kordan11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I had a thought, since this is a small tournament, perhaps next time this can be double-elimination. It will extend the rounds for 1 week, but it will give decks which underperformed in one game a chance to recover and show their tricks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
DbZer0 wrote:
Btw, I had a thought, since this is a small tournament, perhaps next time this can be double-elimination. It will extend the rounds for 1 week, but it will give decks which underperformed in one game a chance to recover and show their tricks.
Yeah, definitely something to consider if we do this again. For the first pass, I wanted to keep things as simple and manageable as possible so we could identify major problems and adjust for the next go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:

EDIT: Jeez, so much NBN.
Its because NBN is actually amazing, and Hollis didnt list in in his list of things that are "well known".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but one can do interesting things with others as well. With such an NBN popularity, I would have preferred to play my Hasbro: ST or Jinteki: RP, just to spice things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
True, but one can do interesting things with others as well. With such an NBN popularity, I would have preferred to play my Hasbro: ST or Jinteki: RP, just to spice things up a bit.
Hey my NBN has never-seen-in-a-game-before cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:
Hey my NBN has never-seen-in-a-game-before cards
I see your Burke Bugs and Raise you a Data Hound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavlos Pavlopoulos
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can confirm I have never seen any of these two cards on the board before. So this is a tie, unless one of you calls another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kordan11 wrote:
I can confirm I have never seen any of these two cards on the board before. So this is a tie, unless one of you calls another card.
Freelancer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pii Smith
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I find the deck lists anywhere? Watching matches and not knowing what is in their decks is kind of pointless imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavlos Pavlopoulos
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the deck lists are going to be posted after the tournament is over. Part of the exercise is to try to figure out what the players are trying to do without access to a deck list. Commentators don't know what the decks are either (for the most part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any kind souls willing to post a one/two paragraph summary of each of the matches? For those of us who are currently unable to spectate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |