Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Science Building encounter from Kingsport tells me that the arcane studies professor has found a secret tomb. I have to make a lore(-2) check, and if I succeed, draw 3 mythos cards. Choose 1, and it there is an open gate at that location, the gate is sealed.

My questions:
1) Do I take the gate trophy? I say no. However, the other Science Building encounter (from the base game) specifies that I do not take gate trophies; this one does not say either way.
2) What do I do with the mythos cards? I say discard all 3 of them, but it is not specified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
A Science Building encounter from Kingsport tells me that the arcane studies professor has found a secret tomb. I have to make a lore(-2) check, and if I succeed, draw 3 mythos cards. Choose 1, and it there is an open gate at that location, the gate is sealed.

My questions:
1) Do I take the gate trophy? I say no. However, the other Science Building encounter (from the base game) specifies that I do not take gate trophies; this one does not say either way.
I don't recall if the latest FAQ answered this or not. I'll take a quick look.

Quote:
2) What do I do with the mythos cards? I say discard all 3 of them, but it is not specified.
Whenever cards are drawn they are discarded if not mentioned otherwise. The mythos deck is used as a randomizer frequently and those cards get discarded as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes it did:

Quote:
Encounters that Close Gates
Some encounters or other card effects state that a gate
closes or that the investigator may close a gate if they
wish. In such cases, the gate marker is not taken as a trophy,
but is instead placed on the bottom of the gate marker
stack. This gate cannot be sealed, even if the current
player has an Elder Sign, sufficient Clue tokens to seal it,
or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I looked for a specific ruling in the FAQ (in the Kingsport Horror section) but didn't think to look for general rules. That was what I figured, in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It ended up being a great encounter for me, because the two Mythos cards I discarded would have been bad to draw (a gate burst and a rumor). Hypnos really came in handy with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Thank you. I looked for a specific ruling in the FAQ (in the Kingsport Horror section) but didn't think to look for general rules. That was what I figured, in any case.
The FAQ's in the rules books are outdated. There is a beast of an FAQ that was released earlier this year that covers just about everything.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, what a great encounter. Why do I never seem to draw these encounters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls