Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Fortney
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of people wondering how they can afford to buy the rights to the fairy tale characters used from Disney, etc., so I just wanted to clear it up for everyone. These characters are in the Public Domain, meaning no one owns the rights and anyone can use them. You could set out tomorrow to make a movie or write a book about Snow White or Tarzan and not have to pay anyone a cent. There are certain aspects that belong to others, for instance the names of the Seven Dwarfs from the Disney interpretation, or the Ruby Slippers from the 1939 Oz film, but there you are. Just a quick explanation for anyone who was curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked specifically whether they were using Ruby Slippers, and not the Silver Slippers from the book, and was told that the Emerald City card shown isnt the final version. During development, that item was changed to Enchanted Slippers - Dorothy and Cinderella get to duke it out for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think that everyone is aware of the public domain issue. The problem that I saw brought up were character designs that were clearly based off of the Disney designs. Or characters who (as far as I know) don't exist outside of Disney, like Aladdin's Jasmine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Jasmine did exist outside Disney, she just had a different name. The one card I've seen with her likeness doesn't name her and has been labeled as not final since it was shown. I might have missed another, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Aquarium ownerMicrobadge: Golden GeeklisterMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Lanarkshire Gamers, Scotland
Eyefink wrote:
Well, Jasmine did exist outside Disney, she just had a different name.
Badroulbadour, apparently.

Wonder why they changed it... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Badroulbadour, apparently.

Wonder why they changed it... whistle
I know, right? I should add that that card was the most blatant "homage" artwork I've seen for the game, so I'd imagine it's one of the ones up for retooling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Lim
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Right! Actually, for the Jasmine card you're referring to in our Battle Deck, it was just a placeholder for our proxies. There were a few other pieces of artwork in the kickstarter campaign that were used just for examples of the artwork styles. Per each artwork we give to our artists, we are very careful to give them specific instructions and guidelines so we don't cross over into private domain zone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I think that even using Jasmine you'd fall into the transformative category well enough that you wouldn't run into too much trouble, as long as you have your own spin on the character designs.

Though I totally get why you (and the backers) would want to be safe, so "that's not Jasmine, that's just a girl with a tiger!" is probably the better way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
ranma8 wrote:
Right! Actually, for the Jasmine card you're referring to in our Battle Deck, it was just a placeholder for our proxies. There were a few other pieces of artwork in the kickstarter campaign that were used just for examples of the artwork styles. Per each artwork we give to our artists, we are very careful to give them specific instructions and guidelines so we don't cross over into private domain zone
Since we pledged based off the artwork shown, I hope that what we saw is indicative of the style, and quality we will get (poison apple, Pinocchio, to name a few good examples)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls