Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After many fellow geeks seemed to enjoy my first session report that combined the LotR card game and LEGO, I thought I would follow up with another one. After the dwarves passed successfully through Mirkwood (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/942066/lego-and-the-lord-of-...), it will be three other heroes attempting the dangerous journey along the Anduin.

I write as I go, so I cannot guarantee the outcome of this game. It might end in round two, or it could be a non-dramatic cruise. Either way, I hope you enjoy it.

Again, I replaced my hero and player cards (except events) with LEGO figures and items. My heroes were Elrond and Glorfindel, who paid a visit to the Carrock and its inhabitant, Beorn. The different colored plates under the figures represent their respective spheres.

My deck can be seen here:

Strategically, my starting threat of 30 is worrisome, but I have multiple cards that can help me survive the crucial first round through threat reduction or proactive Hill-Troll-Management (i.e. clobber him in round 1).

My hand cards are placed in the little Rivendell representation with Event cards placed underneath. My starting hand was simply amazing and all I could have hoped for:

You can see Gildor Inglorion seated, Haldir standing next to him and a Vassal of the Windlord perched on a tree. Vilya is situated in the middle of the pedestal, and – a bit hard to see – the Light of Valinor attached to the white item holder at the front.

During set-up, Eastern Crows came flying over me, followed by Pursuit by Darkness. My threat was 33 before I even started, and even Elrond’s Coucil wouldn’t help me to prevent an early Hill Troll attack.

With the cards at hand, I aimed to take out the troll in round 1. I played Daeron’s Runes, drawing Steward of Gondor and a Rivendell Blade. I had so many good cards that made the decision difficulty. Gildor was on my hand, and with him, I could play the resource acceleration. Since I already had sufficient attack thanks to the Vassal, I discarded the blade.

Round 1.

I sent Glorfindel into the quest and prepared for the attack of the troll. Needless to say, I was slightly worried about drawing another troll.
Wargs. My threat rose to 34, and I faced three foes.

Depending on shadow effects, I hoped that Beorn could defend all three attackers. Given the limited number of LEGO pieces I have, I hope you can identify the pieces representing the crows. ☺

The wargs – no exhausted allies. 2 damage on Beorn. The troll: Beorn doesn’t count AC and takes the full 6 damage.

I did not want to risk drawing the Dol Guldur Orc shadow card and seeing my Beorning’s demise, so the crows attacked undefended. Hill Troll as shadow effect! Phew. The damage went on Glorfindel. You can see the profuse bleeding on Beorn’s back and paws.

Time for my counter attack! Beorn attacked for 5, Elrond for 2, Glorfindel for 3 and the eagle finished off the troll. Unfortunately, the Vassal had to return to his eyrie, but the wargs and crows surely looked concerned.

Round 2.

My threat was 35, and I had Beorn severely damaged. I drew another Vassal. How kind of my troll slayer to send one of his mates!

The resource token represents the number of completed rounds while the black throne stands for the Steward of Gondor attachment. I did not play Vilya since I would need Elrond to defend this turn. The Vassal entered play, though.

I sent Glorfindel into the quest. He came close to the Necromancer’s pass but did not travel due to my need for cards.

My elf lords defended and had to deal with hidden orc snipers. One wound token on Elrond, a second on Glorfindel! I didn’t mind the shadow effect on the Wargs since Beorn was out for revenge! I opted not to waste the Vassal on the crows.

Round 3.

I drew another Light of Valinor. Since my threat was starting to concern me (particularly with those damaging effects targeting players with a threat above 35), I had to decide whether I wanted Elrond in the quest or risk using Vilya.

I opted for the more aggressive approach and played Vilya, using resources from Beorn and Glorfindel in order to save Lore resources for my two elves waiting in Rivendell.

Glorfindel went off into the quest alone. Eastern Crows. Yuck! Followed by Wargs. This was not looking good!

Threat to 39 and three foes facing me.

Beorn had 8 damage, so I didn’t want to risk more damage and a potentially devastating Treachery card. I was tempted to use Vilya and hope for a useful ally. I considered the safer tactics, which was to defended the wargs with Elrond. Glorfindel could deal with one of the crows, and the other was left undefended. In the end, I decided to use Vilya. Out of fear of the Warg Rider shadow effect, I didn’t play it immediately, though and waited to see what to crows did. I left the first one undefended.

Chieftan Ufthak with the first shadow effect. The damage went on Elrond since Glorfindel, as my main quester, already had two token on him. I coud not leave the other attack undefended since the final copy of Dol Guldur Orcs was still in the deck. A shadow card giving +3 to attack would be the end for one of my heroes. Glorfindel stepped up to the crows. Wow, this must have been the first time the card that I worried about was actually drawn. One more damage on him.

Now for the wargs. The Warg Riders could be devastating as a shadow effect, so I opted for the Vassal as defender. No shadow, and the wargs ran off. Too bad, since Beorn was ready to rip them into pieces.

I used Vilya. Henamarth Riversong. Not bad at all!

Beorn killed one of the crows. I used Henamarth to spy instead of fighting. Gladden Fields would be my next encounter card.

Round 4.

I drew Unexpected Courage and played it on Elrond. Next turn, I would have sufficient resources for Gildor.

My threat, however, was 40, damage wide- spread, and I hadn’t made the least bit of progress. I would be faced with 8 threat in the staging area and had to deal with wargs and crows.

I sent Elrond and Glorfindel into the quest. My threat climbed to 42, and I had to travel to the Gladden Fields. I couldn’t risk the Necromancer’s pass so close to playing Gildor, after all, and threat was starting to overwhelm the staging area.

I had to defend the wargs with Elrond since I did not want to lose Henamarth. I briefly considered to use him in order to spy the shadow effect for the crows (Beorn could then safely defend) but didn’t do so.

My elf lords stepped up, defended and Beorn killed the crows. The wargs ran off yet again. Henamarth told me that a Marsh Adder was waiting around the corner…

Round 5

Threat to 44 thanks to the Gladden Fields. I drew Feint. That would help, although threat reduction may have been better.

I used all of Elrond’s resources to get Gildor from Rivendell to the Gladden Fields.
I was tempted to use Gildor right away, but given my threat, I didn’t risk it and sent all my powerful elves into the Gladden Fields. My first progress token!

Beorn tricked the Marsh Adder, using Feint. This had the added benefit that my threat did not increase, and I didn’t have to attempt building a LEGO version of this creature. ☺ Elrond defended the wargs. Again, no shadow effect, and off they went. This allowed me to concentrate my attacks on the adder. Beorn and Glorfindel took it out.

Henamarth went ahead to spy the encounter deck. Misty Mountain Goblins.

Round 6.

46 Threat. I drew the Galadhrim’s Greeting.

I would be faced by 7 threat and had a chance to rid myself of the Gladden Fields, so I sent Glorfindel, Elrond and Gildor off.

The Gladden Fields were explored, but I couldn’t risk losing the Galadhrim’s Greeting. So no travel for me. I was faced by two foes and feared the Eastern Crows as shadow effect. A +2 to attack for the goblins would be too much for any of my heroes.

I defended the wargs with Elrond. Again no shadow. These guys were becoming incredibly annoying! I still hadn’t drawn Evil Storm or the Necromancer’s Reach, so I did not intend to have my heroes on their last hit points. As much as I did not want to, I had to use Henamarth in defense. Beorn made them pay!

Round 7

Still no progress, 47 threat, and I drew a Burning Brand (you can see it on my ‘hand’ between Beorn and the throne of the Steward of Gondor).

I had to play the Galadhrim’s Greeting, lowering my threat to 41. I also played a Burning Brand on Elrond. Elrond and Glorfindel went into the quest. I was hoping to finally use Gildor’s player card scrying. Crows! Followed by Evil Storm. Beorn and Glorfindel were on their last hit points. I didn’t make any progress, either.

Elrond stepped up to the wargs, yet again. Finally a shadow effect! Gildor easily defended the crows. Beorn and Glorfindel took them out. Finally, I had no enemies left on the board. It surely looked far too late, though.

Round 8

Threat 42, all heroes severely damaged, and one Evil Storm would spell certain doom.

I drew a Master of the Forge. With my heroes so vulnerable to treacheries and with no enemies in play, I opted to go all in. This looked like a losing battle for a long time. Gildor looked at the top cards of my deck.

Not bad. Healing was the most crucial thing at the moment, so I took Elrond’s Consel on my hand and placed the Warden on top of my deck, followed by the Stargazer and Haldir.

Using Elrond’s Ring and readying him with Unexpected Courage, the Warden joined me from Minas Tirith and immediately healed Elrond and Glorfindel. Beorn was still vulnerable, but there was nothing I could do aside from hoping for a timely arrival of Landroval.

I sent Glorfindel into the quest since I had to keep Elrond for defending.

Crows, followed by another Necromancer’s Pass. Elrond gave Glorfindel some quick counsel, and my threat remained at 42 (4 Willpower vs 7 threat, 3 reduction).

I had to travel, although this would mean losing Steward of Gondor. The Warden of Healing was all the help that Denethor would send today.

Elrond defended the crows and I was glad to see Evil Storm discarded. Beorn too, apparently, as he kicked the birds back into the encounter deck.

Round 9

I knew that the Stargazer would join me, and I played her immediately. The Warden removed more damage from Glorfindel and Elrond, and the stars were not too bad. Threat at this point: 43.

I used Vilay to call Haldir and played the Master of the Forge from my hand.

I used Glorfindel, Haldir and Gildor to quest. Banks of the Anduin. Finally a calm round and some progress! With no cards on my hand, I could not travel to the Necromancer’s Pass. Banks of the Anduin it was!

I like Arwen (and have a perfect LEGO representation), but I was hoping for Landroval or threat reduction, to I used the Master of the Forge, who created a Burning Brand for me.

Round 10

Threat 44. I used Stargazer prior to the Resource Phase and found Gandalf, Asfaloth, Faramir and a Northern Tracker!

I stacked Gandalf on top since Beorn could pay for him with his considerable resource pool. I would then get the Northern Tracker with Vilya and draw Asfaloth with the Master of the Forge. I used the Warden to heal the final damage on Elrond. Glorfindel felt much better, too. Gandalf lowered my threat to 39.

Gandalf led the Tracker and three elves into the quest. They encountered a Goblin Sniper.

I was one progress away from finally advancing to stage 2. Elrond and Beorn quickly dispatched the goblin.

Refresh phase: My utility trio went to work. Master of the Forge found Asfaloth’s lost twin, the Stargazer found Landroval and the Warden took the last damage from my elves.

Round 11

No, this would not be a new record score… I drew Ranger Spikes, played Asfaloth and used Vilya to call upon Landroval.

I had Haldir, the Northern Tracker and Glorfindel in the quest. The Dunedain explored the Necromancer’s Pass. The Necromancer showed off his reach and sent crows – again.

I was certain that I had seen all copies of the Necromancer’s Reach but was obviously mistaken. My mistake spelled doom for my faithful utility trio whom I would have otherwise used after the quest phase. Even after 400+ games, one can still commit beginner’s mistakes. blush

At least I was on the Anduin. I wish I had kept my old LEGO pirate ships, but oh well…

Elrond and Beorn killed the crows. I used Gildor’s ability to swap another Vilya and Ranger Spikes. I had Gandalf waiting to be called upon via Vilya.

Round 12

Gandalf (via Vilya) lowered my threat to 36. The next two cards in my deck were Vilya and Vilya, and I only had Ranger Spikes and Asfaloth on my hand.

I used Glorfindel, Gandalf, Haldir, Landroval and the Tracker for questing. I needed Gildor for card draw planning, Elrond to cancel shadow effects and Beorn to attack.

The Evil Storm was too much for Beorn, but Landroval saved him. The Enchanted Stream was no match for Asfaloth, I made 10 progress, and Gildor showed me another trap.

Round 13

Threat 37. I drew Ranger Spikes and played them right away.

The crows were trapped and Asfaloth began to explore the Banks of the Anduin. I advanced to the final stage. Gladden Fields, more crows and Driven by Shadow came out of the encounter deck. Sauron’s last attempt to stop my heroes was pathetic!

I used Gildor and Elrond to defend. Beorn and Glorfindel finished my last enemies, and the game was won.

Final Score:

12 rounds completed, 37 threat, 3 damage on heroes, 10 Victory Points: 150.

Thanks for reading!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot damn, I love these session reports!!
(and it makes me want to buy more LOTR LEGOs )

Also, I seriously laughed out loud when you showed us your deck.
(the pic of splayed cards instead of a list)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bes. Report. Evar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just destroyed the Awesome Scale!!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
You have my thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirprim wrote:
You have my thumb.
And my GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athanis Contorel
msg tools
mbmbmb
Now I have to go to buy Legos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
sirprim wrote:
You have my thumb.
And my GG!
And my (red) X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
You are too funny mate! I didn't know you were into Lego as well laugh
I'm into anything Middle-earth! I still hope the Warner Bros shop will one day offer shipping to Australia. I need one of those Gondor shirts with the white tree! And one of those green Rohan shirts. Thinking about it, there's a lot of stuff I'd purchase.

Are you still playing the game? I talked to Good Games Miranda today. Apparently, they plan to run some LotR stuff in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Hot damn, I love these session reports!!
(and it makes me want to buy more LOTR LEGOs )

Also, I seriously laughed out loud when you showed us your deck.
(the pic of splayed cards instead of a list)
Glad you like it. I'm thinking to put up another one once I have the Black Riders. The LEGO Hobbits look to cool not to play them.

If you want to buy something LotR LEGO-ish, I highly recommend the Tower of Orthanc (set number 10237).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
I still hope the Warner Bros shop will one day offer shipping to Australia. I need one of those Gondor shirts with the white tree! And one of those green Rohan shirts. Thinking about it, there's a lot of stuff I'd purchase.
Hey, since I work at Warner Bros. on pretty much a daily basis these days, I'll check out the store on the lot to see what merch they've got in store for ya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Zwerg wrote:
I still hope the Warner Bros shop will one day offer shipping to Australia. I need one of those Gondor shirts with the white tree! And one of those green Rohan shirts. Thinking about it, there's a lot of stuff I'd purchase.
Hey, since I work at Warner Bros. on pretty much a daily basis these days, I'll check out the store on the lot to see what merch they've got in store for ya!
Wow, thanks a million!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
If you want to buy something LotR LEGO-ish, I highly recommend the Tower of Orthanc (set number 10237).
Agreed. That set looks sick.

Great session report. Keep em coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
One of Many Mikes
badge
Ribbit..?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, awesome job! This is the best thing I've seen on BGG in a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So confusing... I came here after mentioning LOTR:LCG on a Lego site, now I'm watching LOTR minifigs play the LCG. Too much for my addled head.

I have to know, were you going to use the standard Arwen minifig or did you mod something for her? I like her minifig a whole lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphon Tracks wrote:
So confusing... I came here after mentioning LOTR:LCG on a Lego site, now I'm watching LOTR minifigs play the LCG. Too much for my addled head.

I have to know, were you going to use the standard Arwen minifig or did you mod something for her? I like her minifig a whole lot.
I was going to use her standard figure from The Council of Elrond set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was a great session report. I love Legos, LOTR, and games so your post was just awesome for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poage
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the best Lord of the Rings LCG play report ever. You sir, are my hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeornUrsus wrote:
By far the best Lord of the Rings LCG play report ever. You sir, are my hero.
Thank you. I hope you appreciate that Beorn was saved and no bears were killed in making this report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome and Hilarious!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Today's Forecast: Windy
Very cool idea, Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
Great job on these reports.
Very clever and entertaining; keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

The next one will follow once I get my hands on an upcoming expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is outstanding

Thumb up