United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've pounded out the two extra short scenarios that will be included in the game, but I'm struggling to give them some snazzy (and short) names. I'm open to suggestions:

Short Scenario 2:

Map area: All of the Russia, Norway/Sweden/Denmark, Romania/Bulgaria/Serbia, and Ottoman Empire Track Rights zones. In addition to the red zones in these Track Rights zones, the following red zones on the edge of the map may be used: New York and Alexandria. All ferry lines into out of play areas are considered to be out of play as well.

Trains: Ten Level 2, Seven Level 3, Three Level 4, Three Level 5, Two Level 6, Four Level 7 (the "Level 8 Trains are Available" card goes under the first Level 7 train), Three Level 8

Tiles: All track tiles are available except for Metropolis tiles for Metropolises outside of the scenario's map area.

Privates: Robert Stephenson, Barclay, Bevan, Barclay and Tritton, and Swift Metropolitan Line

Minors: A, F, G, M (with only three Pullman cars)

Regionals:
All five Scandinavian and Russian, plus the SB, which has it's home station located in Warsaw. The SB is considered to have Track Rights in the Russia Track Rights zone, costing £10.

Concessions (optional): 1, 2, 3

Port Authorities: 3 North Sea

Setup: Place the following Red Zone tiles on the map, in the hex indicated on the tile:

Berlin (east)

Place the available trains listed above in the Locomotive works. Set up the six Regionals as in the main rulebook. Set up the opening packet as shown in the diagram to the right.
Set up the Patronage tiles by taking the ten Russian and Scandinavian green tiles and selecting five randomly.

Scenario Rules:
All of the main rules are in play, except the Orient Express rules are modified. Railroads can treat any run from either Berlin or Saint Petersburg to Constantinople as an Orient Express run. All four of the Track Rights cards for Russia and Scandinavia are in play. The game ending conditions are the same as the main rules.

Short Scenario 3:

Map area: All of the Spain/Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Ottoman Empire Track Rights zones. In addition to the red zones in these Track Rights zones, the following red zones on the edge of the map may be used: New York, North Africa, and Alexandria. All ferry lines into out of play areas are considered to be out of play as well.

Trains: Ten Level 2, Seven Level 3, Three Level 4, Three Level 5, Two Level 6, Four Level 7 (the "Level 8 Trains are Available" card goes under the first Level 7 train), Three Level 8

Tiles: All track tiles are available except for Metropolis tiles for Metropolises outside of the scenario's map area.

Privates: Ponts et Chausses, Brandt & Brandau Engineers, Central Circle, Star Harbor

Minors: D, F, L, M (with only three Pullman cars)

Regionals:
All five Spanish and Italian, plus the MAV, which has it's home station located in Athens. The MAV is considered to have Track Rights in the Greece Track Rights zone, costing £20.

Concessions (optional): 1, 2, 3

Port Authorities: 2 North Sea, 4 Mediterranean

Setup: Place the following Red Zone tiles on the map, in the hex indicated on the tile:

Paris, Berlin (west)

Place the available trains listed above in the Locomotive works. Set up the six Regionals as in the main rulebook. Set up the opening packet as shown in the diagram to the right.
Set up the Patronage tiles by taking the three Ottoman white tiles and selecting one of them randomly, the five Italian green tiles and selecting two randomly, and the seven Spanish green tiles, and selecting three randomly.

Scenario Rules:
All of the main rules are in play, except the Orient Express rules are modified. Railroads can treat any run from either New York or Madrid to Constantinople as an Orient Express run. All four of the Track Rights cards for Spain and Italy are in play. The game ending conditions are the same as the main rules.

The other short scenario, if you are interested, can be found in the preliminary playbook download in the files section here on BGG.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard ones to come up with names for because of the large geographic area.

Name Suggestions for Scenario 2:

"From Sea to Shining Sea" - referring of course to connecting the Baltic to the Mediterranean.

"Connectens Orientum" - Latin for "Connecting the East"

"From Near to Czar" - Loosely referring to the Russian sphere of influence that this scenario seems to imply

Name Suggestions for Scenario 3:

"South by Southeast"

"Australi Prosperis" - Latin for Southern Prosperity.

"Trickle South Economics"

These are just brainstormed suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
Scenario One : The Northern Lights

Scenario Two : I like Chris's Australi Properis

I still think you need scenarios that play on only one of the boards.

None of them do so far.

Think of a French Game, A Spanish Game, A Polish Game, of course a British Game, and a Balkan or Turkish Game. Or leave them for expansions packs so you can add extra components.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
I also like the idea of scenarios that would use just one map..

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AbnRgr wrote:

None of them do so far.

Think of a French Game, A Spanish Game, A Polish Game, of course a British Game, and a Balkan or Turkish Game. Or leave them for expansions packs so you can add extra components.

Mike
Mike,

I like Australi Properis as well!

Here's my train of thought on how I've arranged the scenarios:

I have tried to cover each of the Track Rights zones equally, to allow players to become familiar with different regions of the map before diving in to the full game. Each zone is in two different scenarios (except for Austria Hungary, I believe).

Now, I could have France in 3 different scenarios, and make the 2nd medium scenario be Spain/France/England, which will fall on only one map - hopefully that doesn't create a political problem with the UK or German players, who will rightfully point out that their two countries were the most significant driving force behind industrialization in Europe - their two countries are only in two scenarios each.

Germany is tough - it stretches across both board halves, and I really don't want to do scenarios that split up a track rights zone.

The other medium scenario will have Italy, Austria, and Russia, which also hits both map boards.

I ruled out trying to restrict scenarios to only one board, so that I could focus on covering all of the zones, and on designing scenarios that would progressively focus more and more on water-borne routes, helping the players to learn more about the usage of ports.

Besides, there's still the stock market board to contend with - I was thinking that you can lay that board on top of the portion of the map that's not in use, to help save table space...

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated!

Just to clarify, it's prosperis (two esses in there).

If you wanted to be a bit campy, you could intentionally misspell it and call it

AUSTRAILI PROSPERIS - getting the word rail in there along with the latin. But I'm not sure that these are the kind of punny titles you're looking for.

I like the name "The Northern Lights" for Scenario 2, but I'm not sure it captures the Balkan/Hungarian/Slovenian/Slavic aspects of the map -

What about "Aurora Balkanalis" a play on the "Aurora Borealis", the alternate name for the northern lights? It calls attention to the Northern part of the map due to the play on words, and the southern part of the map by including Balkan. Not sure about that one, but I'm putting it out there. Bam!

I am still a mite-bit partial to "From Near to Czar", but another option:

"Baltic Bacchanalia" - referring to the glut of wealth the railroads bring to the region, a sort of festival of excess . . .

Cheers!

Edit: Edited to add more comments . . . sorry, I see that others have posted since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Blodoks
Italy
Romagna - RA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits, the historical operator of the Orient Express, introduced famous services, such as the Orient-Express, the Nord Express, and the Sud Express ... (Wikipedia)

Short Scenario 2: Nord Express

Short Scenario 3: Sud Express

Easy names to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganraeln wrote:
AbnRgr wrote:

None of them do so far.

Mike
Mike,

I like Australi Properis as well!

Here's my train of thought on how I've arranged the scenarios:

I have tried to cover each of the Track Rights zones equally, to allow players to become familiar with different regions of the map before diving in to the full game. Each zone is in two different scenarios (except for Austria Hungary, I believe).

Now, I could have France in 3 different scenarios, and make the 2nd medium scenario be Spain/France/England, which will fall on only one map - hopefully that doesn't create a political problem with the UK or German players, who will rightfully point out that their two countries were the most significant driving force behind industrialization in Europe - their two countries are only in two scenarios each.

Germany is tough - it stretches across both board halves, and I really don't want to do scenarios that split up a track rights zone.

The other medium scenario will have Italy, Austria, and Russia, which also hits both map boards.

I ruled out trying to restrict scenarios to only one board, so that I could focus on covering all of the zones, and on designing scenarios that would progressively focus more and more on water-borne routes, helping the players to learn more about the usage of ports.

Besides, there's still the stock market board to contend with - I was thinking that you can lay that board on top of the portion of the map that's not in use, to help save table space...

-Mark
I thought the suggestion of Mike and Jim entailed the use of one track-rights zone for a mini-scenario. Rather than just the hard necessity of using one physical board. I would at least be interested whether such a scenario would be feasible (so it would be both short and fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Viana
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blodoks wrote:
The Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits, the historical operator of the Orient Express, introduced famous services, such as the Orient-Express, the Nord Express, and the Sud Express ... (Wikipedia)

Short Scenario 2: Nord Express

Short Scenario 3: Sud Express

Easy names to remember.
Perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romtos wrote:

I thought the suggestion of Mike and Jim entailed the use of one track-rights zone for a mini-scenario. Rather than just the hard necessity of using one physical board. I would at least be interested whether such a scenario would be feasible (so it would be both short and fun).
I really haven't tried just one Track Rights zone - I really don't think it would work very well, there just wouldn't be enough railroads in play.

At the very least, you'd need to use a zone that has at least three railroads in it - which leaves out Italy, Austria Hungary, and Scandinavia.

Even then, I wonder if it would work - but, just for kicks, I'll give a few rounds of it a shot and see what happens.

In a zone with only three railroads, such as Spain (which is having a third one added), a three player game would leave each player with only one railroad, and there would be only two minors at most, leaving one player high and dry.

It would definitely be a learning scenario, that's for sure...

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I'm thinking of the song Suburban Moscow Nights.

Quote:
Moscow nights are cold, but they're crisp and clear
Let's go South for winter this year
To Afghanistan, it's such a lovely land
And the people are Russian as can be.
Full lyrics: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/Afghanistan_(Mo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, looking at the map again, the dividing line between the two boards will cut through Scandinavia, Germany, and Italy.

That means I can do a short scenario with Russia and Austria, and another one with some combination of two of the following: Spain, UK, and France.

So, I'm thinking of changing the Russia/Scandinavian scenario to be Russia/Austria, and maybe making the other one be Spain and UK.

The medium scenarios would then add Italy to the Russia/Austria scenario, and add France to the Spain/UK scenario.

This would make two of the short scenarios be single-map, and one of the medium scenarios be single map. I think that's the best I can do to keep scenarios on a single map.

That kinda leaves the Scandinavians out in the cold as far as scenarios go...

Short: France/Germany, Spain/UK (single board), Russia/Austria (single board)
Medium: France/Germany/UK, Spain/France/UK (single board), Russia/Austria/Italy

The breakdown of scenario inclusion would then be:

UK: 3
France: 3
Germany: 2
Russia: 2
Austria: 2
Spain: 2
Italy: 1
Scandinavia: 0

Thoughts?

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spain/UK is interesting, featuring two separated track-rights zones. Like playing on two game boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 3: "PIGS Gotta Fly"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Blodoks
Italy
Romagna - RA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, despite the changes, still valid:
Nord Express (France - Germany)
Sud Express (Spain - UK)

Then, Mitropa Express (Russia - Austria)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganraeln wrote:
Ok, looking at the map again, the dividing line between the two boards will cut through Scandinavia, Germany, and Italy.

That means I can do a short scenario with Russia and Austria, and another one with some combination of two of the following: Spain, UK, and France.

So, I'm thinking of changing the Russia/Scandinavian scenario to be Russia/Austria, and maybe making the other one be Spain and UK.

The medium scenarios would then add Italy to the Russia/Austria scenario, and add France to the Spain/UK scenario.

This would make two of the short scenarios be single-map, and one of the medium scenarios be single map. I think that's the best I can do to keep scenarios on a single map.

That kinda leaves the Scandinavians out in the cold as far as scenarios go...

Short: France/Germany, Spain/UK (single board), Russia/Austria (single board)
Medium: France/Germany/UK, Spain/France/UK (single board), Russia/Austria/Italy

The breakdown of scenario inclusion would then be:

UK: 3
France: 3
Germany: 2
Russia: 2
Austria: 2
Spain: 2
Italy: 1
Scandinavia: 0

Thoughts?

-Mark
As long as at least 1 or 2 scenarios is on a single board, I'd like to keep Scanderhoovia in a scenario. Best of both worlds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, speaking of transparency, I'm going to lay out how I put the scenarios together.

A "small" scenario should have 1/3 of the Majors, Minors, and trains as the full game. A "medium" scenario should have 1/2 of the Majors, Minors, and trains as the full game.

So, the number of Railroads is very important to designing a scenario. Only 3 Track Rights zones will have two Majors in them after the rest of the "extra Railroad" stretch goals are hit (and I am now suspecting that they will be). Here's the breakdown:

France: 4 (will add one in Bordeaux)
Germany: 4
Russia: 4 (will add one in Warsaw)
Spain: 3 (one added in Lisboa already)
UK: 3 (can't add more here; too dense for tracklaying)
Scandinavia: 2
Italy: 2
Austria/Hungary: 2

So, scenarios are chosen by the combination of zones that allow the minimum number of railroads required to make the scenario work.

I've found, from playtesting the France/Germany small scenario, and the France/Germany/UK medium scenario, that this formula appears to work rather well. The only significant issue is the amount of land space involved - those Track Rights zones that have a lot of land space will appear to be more interesting, since you won't run out of track to lay before the first level 3 train is bought.

Even in the full game, if the last Major to open is delayed, plenty of railroads will run out of track to lay - a phenomenon that isn't without precedent in other 18XX games.

Some zones, like Scandinavia and the UK, are rather dense in terms of the sheer number of hexes on the map. Those zones will tend to run out of track to lay rather quickly during the early stages of the game - UK isn't as bad as Scandinavia, due to the two Metropolises in the UK zone (Scandinavia doesn't have any that aren't red zones).

The real issue surrounding using a single track rights zone (which would necessitate only 3 Majors, 2 Minors, and 1/6 of the trains) is being able to run the longer trains - the 7+7 and 8+8 trains become rather useless in this small of a scenario. With at least two zones, you should be able to run the longer trains, even if it's a bit of a challenge.

The last issue is the red zone tiles - these are what needs to be added to make the scenarios work.

Here's an interesting thought:

I will research, after posting this, how many red zone tiles would be required to maximize the number of combinations of zones to allow for the most number of potential scenarios to be included.

More to come soon.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's the deal.

I can make a red zone tile for each of the metropolises, with 6 spurs on it. Not all spurs will be accessible in every scenario, but having one tile for each metropolis makes it easier to include them all.

That way, you could (for example) choose to play a Spain/England small scenario, and the rules would state that you place the Paris red zone tile on hex W24, the Berlin tile on top of Amsterdam, etc.

The train allotment, bank size, starting cash, and certificate limits stay the same for all short scenarios. Only the red zone tiles (and their locations), the criteria for an OE run, and which Minors and Privates are in play will change from one scenario to the next.

That means I only need about 8 red zone tiles to cover many possibilities.

How's that sound?

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganraeln wrote:
Ok, here's the deal.

I can make a red zone tile for each of the metropolises, with 6 spurs on it. Not all spurs will be accessible in every scenario, but having one tile for each metropolis makes it easier to include them all.

That way, you could (for example) choose to play a Spain/England small scenario, and the rules would state that you place the Paris red zone tile on hex W24, the Berlin tile on top of Amsterdam, etc.

The train allotment, bank size, starting cash, and certificate limits stay the same for all short scenarios. Only the red zone tiles (and their locations), the criteria for an OE run, and which Minors and Privates are in play will change from one scenario to the next.

How's that sound?

-Mark
I'd think as long as the starting layout is clear in the scenario, that would work well. Anyone else see any issues here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganraeln wrote:

[...]

How's that sound?

-Mark
Lotsa scenarios at very efficient cost? Sounds ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romtos wrote:
Ganraeln wrote:

[...]

How's that sound?

-Mark
Lotsa scenarios at very efficient cost? Sounds ideal. :)
Bear this in mind, though - there's no way I'll be able to playtest them all before going to print. The primary goal here, is to just get the components into the box, and outline as many scenarios as seems practical.

I can always tweak the rules for them later, if they need it, and post the updates here and on my website.

That really is the best I can do.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds perfect. The scenarios can be tweaked as long as we have the components. Awesome news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Rosgen
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Ganraeln wrote:
Would the Norwegian red city remain in play in such a scenario? If not, you wouldn't want to be confined to Scotland. Similarly, is the ferry to Northern Sweden available when playing with Russia but not Scandinavia?

I ask only because in my playtesting experience Scandinavia was a major source of revenue, but since it doesn't have any Metropolises, it changes the revenue landscape quite a bit if there's no replacement in a small scenario.

[Edit: to be clear, I'm not saying that the loss of Scandinavia would be a bad thing -- 18xx seems to need a little "imbalance" to push incentives in the right direction.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asdnart wrote:
Ganraeln wrote:
Would the Norwegian red city remain in play in such a scenario? If not, you wouldn't want to be confined to Scotland. Similarly, is the ferry to Northern Sweden available when playing with Russia but not Scandinavia?

I ask only because in my playtesting experience Scandinavia was a major source of revenue, but since it doesn't have any Metropolises, it changes the revenue landscape quite a bit if there's no replacement in a small scenario.

[Edit: to be clear, I'm not saying that the loss of Scandinavia would be a bad thing -- 18xx seems to need a little "imbalance" to push incentives in the right direction.]
The scenario rules have been cleaned up considerably, and I uploaded (late last night) a new playbook with all of the scenarios in it. You'll also notice that I uploaded the red zone tiles, so you can see what they'll look like.

The short scenarios are all in their own section, with the section header describing all common elements. Those elements happen to include the fact that if you can run to a red zone outside the designated track rights zones, that it's legal to do so.

That's the long-winded way of answering your question, "yes".

Bear in mind that the Finland and North Sweden red zones are not ports, so while they can be run to, it's only via the ferry.

Hopefully the new playbook upload is approved soon, so you can all see it. Feel free to look for typos, glaring errors, etc., but I anticipate those being caught by the proofreader.

I had to remove the game walkthroughs to make room for all these scenarios. I'll fill the rest of the book with examples of play, and publish the game walkthroughs later as a download.

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I'm not naming the scenarios anymore - too many of them to name, and it just makes them harder to locate in the table of contents.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |