Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played any of the two. Just purchased Zombicide. I don't want to own 2 zombie COOP. Not sure if I'll keep Zombicide yet but got it used at an ok price.

I've read the rule, but rules are rule and I can't judge game like this. For those who have exposure with the two or at least zombicide, can you highlight what, for you, is the pros and cons of Zombicide vs DDD.

Kickstarter is coming soon to an end. I am torn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a discussion about this a couple weeks ago at This or LNoE or GoW or Zombicide or ?

Basically, DDD isnt really a Zombie game like Zombicide. In Zombicide (and games like LNoE) the game is all about killing zombies.

DDD is closer to a complicated version of Pandemic where Zombies are hindrances along the way to solving the puzzle (unlocking the code) and defeating the end boss. i.e. zombies are kinda like infection outbreaks in Pandemic.

As has been said by others, I came to the conclusion that DDD is different enough from other games where the focus is on killing stuff, that it could live on my game shelf along with a more straight up zombie killing (I chose LNoE instead of Zombicide).

In DDD, it looks like there is going to be much more dynamic team interaction and a lot more interesting choices, like you have to manage your items cards in such a way that they are useful, but they also contain the keys to unlock doors and the final security code, so you sometimes have to choose between using an item or keeping a code symbol you might need later on, etc.

So, it is a heavier game with more interesting decisions to make whereas Zombicide is lighter and you pretty much just go around killing as much as you can.

Anyway, as I said before, I think there is a place for both and I personally looked at DDD as being a Pandemic replacement rather than a "shooter" replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, thanks for your input. With that kinda of answer, I fear the wife is going to transform into a zombie and kill me straight up... Must resist on owning both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well first off, you can't have too many Zombie games. Okay, that's out of the way.

Zombicide is a survival slugfest. I feel that you really need to stick together and cooperate to survive much less complete a given scenario. It's all about your character's abilities and the goodies they carry. Point, aim, shoot, and hope for the best. All great fun.

DDD from the rules seems more task oriented and requires a strategy in acquiring the best combos to solve the puzzle and get out alive. I think it's going to be a rewarding experience and require a bit more thought than Z-cide.

There's room for both in a collection. Plus the way they've revamped the stretch goals, you'll be getting a lot of good stuff with DDD and if you're a minis fan you won't be disappointed. That's my 2 cents anyway. Hop on board while there's still time. You know you'll just regret it later if you pass on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
qiagen wrote:

My impressions (and they are just impressions, as I haven't played either game) are that Zombicide consists of miniatures with a game attached, while DDD is a game with miniatures attached.
Zombicide is definitely a game with miniatures attached. It's just that there are so many zombie miniatures needed because of the swarm mechanic. Also, there are plenty of scenarios where it's not just a slaughterfest but where there are objectives and different ways in which you have to work together to complete the goal of the scenario. It's truly a sandbox game.

That said, I think there is plenty of room on your shelf for both Zombicide and DDD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
First thing to do Patrick is to ignore that rulebook and download the revised copy from Guillotine Games website. It's much better. There's also a ton of new scenarios for the game there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will only help if you know the game and the movie I'm talking about.

Zombicide is like playing the movie 'Dawn of the Dead'

DDD looks (as I've not played it yet) like playing the first 'Resident Evil' computer game

I have Zombicide (and love it) but think DDD is different enough to have as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
freemanaj86 wrote:
This will only help if you know the game and the movie I'm talking about.

Zombicide is like playing the movie 'Dawn of the Dead'

DDD looks (as I've not played it yet) like playing the first 'Resident Evil' computer game

I have Zombicide (and love it) but think DDD is different enough to have as well.
Actually, that is not a bad description.
Thanks for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say zombicide is miniatures with a game attached to it.
the whole focus goes to the miniatures which are superbly sculpted and the promo survivor sculptures representing parodies of movie characters.
the game mechanics themselves are light and focus more on the action/slugfest than on puzzle-solving, though you need good cooperation and tactics to win.
also, the objectives are simple counters with mostly no info on what it represents, making it somewhat bland/less immersive.
Still, the game mechanics are decent and action-packed, making it quite a fun game.
zombicide is indeed a sandbox game, with the miniatures at the center.
All 3 games are worthy to have, LNOE being somewhat in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies they are quite helpfull. Hope it's going to be helpfull for other people too.

Alright.

Lets jump on this zombie-wagon.

See, I was so hard to convince shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
Angelsenior wrote:
the objectives are simple counters with mostly no info on what it represents, making it somewhat bland/less immersive.
But also much more flexible.

A token with a picture of a gas can on it can only ever represent a gas can. Maybe you get the option to choose whether it's empty or full, but that's it. It's still just a gas can.

A token with a cross on it, however, can be anything - a gas can (empty or full), a set of keys, a med-pack, alien technology, a notebook, a collection of belly-button fluff, a two-way radio, a pair of socks given by a grandma at Christmas, or, frankly, whatever you want it to be.

I also disagree with almost everything else you put in your post.

But then this thread shouldn't be about what Zombicide is or is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls