GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,494 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Axis & Allies: WWI 1914» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zeppelins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok I devised my own Zeppelin rules to make up for the glaring lack of Zeppelins in this 1914 game! I mean come on, a WWI game without Zeppelins???

To review these rules check out the photo captions of the Zeppelin attacking England.

Any comments about the rules and photos are certainly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Prothman
msg tools
I'm terribly sorry, I'm new to the forums, but I don't see a picture of a zeppelin attack or any zeppelin rules.

Would love some clarification, I've been trying to implement airships/zeppelins as well, I just have to find some pieces to represent them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this however, the contribution of the Zeppelin was not insignificant. Both in terms of the considerable resources used up by Germany to launch these battleships of the sky against England. Those resources could have been used elsewhere. And further, the psychological effect upon the English population was terrifying and resulted in the diversion of considerable resources to combat the menance. Hence the requirement of pre positioned fighters to attack it.

My Rules contemplate the use by Germany of only one Zeppelin at a time so as to not overstate the efficacy of the Zeppelin.

Plus the verisimilitude of the Zeppelin appearing above the board, in the skies so to speak, of my Axis & Allies 1914 game is absolutely amazing. It really sets forth this game apart from other AA 1914 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically what you are saying is that it is adequately modeled by both sides wasting some IPC on something that has no other effect?

Maybe that's already modeled into the IPC values whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No that's not what I am saying.

The Zeppelin Rules I have devised can be very effective in reducing the IPCs held by, say England. If England doesn't want to expend IPCs defending against Zeppelins, fine then England can build fighters elsewhere and pay the consequences via lost IPCs.

A German Zeppelin can either bomb the Capitals for IPC reduction or bomb territories to reduce Allies' units or can transport 1 art or 1 inf unit as reinforcements.

The German IPCs used up when building a Zeppelin can indeed have a very nice return on value.

Besides all this and this is important to me, perhaps not to you nor possibly to anyone else, but I felt how can a Axis & Allies 1914 game not have cool Zeppelin miniatures? I was disappointed, but now I have resolved that issue for me: I've got a cool Zeppelin on my AA 1914 board with Rules for it that allow a reasonble facsimile of Zeppelin action and capabilities but does not throw the game out of kilter; or at least anymore so than what is already out of the box!

If you don't like it then don't use it, but don't try to speak for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mind if I ask from where you got your zeppelin? I would get one for looks if nothing else. cool

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Got it from the game Fortune and Glory, fits right in with the AA miniatures. Had to paint it gray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Prothman
msg tools
Gah, I still can't see the picture or the rules, could you perhaps post them again. Or maybe clarify for me if I'm being a bit dunce?

Many thanks
~Bradford

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Do you mind if I ask from where you got your zeppelin? I would get one for looks if nothing else. cool

-M_R

You can order one (in gray) directly from Flying Frog Productions-
http://stores.homestead.com/FlyingFrogProductions/Detail.bok...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bjergmose
Denmark
Viby Sjælland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
komradkthulu wrote:
Gah, I still can't see the picture or the rules, could you perhaps post them again. Or maybe clarify for me if I'm being a bit dunce?

Many thanks
~Bradford

Pictures under Pictures like;
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1710003/axis-allies-wwi-1914

rules underneath the pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's cool, I'll look at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that it is against the rules to transport or move a single artillery piece without an accompanying infantry piece...so no air transport.

Further, the notion of transporting an infantry corps or army via zeppelin is pretty...creative...and has no basis in reality.

I like the idea of allowing zeppelins in the game as a set of house rules, but they should be pretty limited.

One zeppelin at a time per nationality limit. Fighters may defend against them (standard air to air fight). They may perform strategic bombing, rolling 1d6. One IPC is lost on a roll of 1-2, two on a roll of 3-4, and three on a roll of 5-6.

Zeppelins may move 2 spaces per turn and do not have to end their turn over a friendly territory, but they do not cause any territory to be in dispute.

The presence of a zeppelin provides a +1 for the owning player's naval forces for the first round of combat. The presence of a zeppelin in a ground territory without enemy air-power will provide the owning player with air superiority for the ground attack.

Zeppelins may not attack ground or naval units by themselves.

They should be pretty expensive, too...maybe the cost of a fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules are fairly arbitrary in this game anyways, my Zeppelins are not so far off that norm.

The Germans only made 17 of their own tanks during WWI, yet in this game they have the same capacity as the Allies who made 100's of them.

At least with my Zeppelin rules only the Germans can have them and then only one of them at a time. So they are not absolutely realistic neither are the AA 1914 rules. Where are the poison gas capabilities in this game? None.

Mine adds a certain element that is lacking and besides my board now has this cool looking Zeppelin causing some mayhem over England but not a game breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the players use gas without any sort of rules during the game.gulp

The horror, the horror...

laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Geez, Dean, I think you can back off a little bit.

Talk about hijacking a thread.

I am not a designer nor pretend to be one.

I am just a gamer trying to add some chrome to a game and I wanted to share it with everyone here at BGG.

I don't need to be lectured about how un historic my Zeppelin concept and rules are.

I just wanted to let people know that there is a cool Fortune and Glory Zepplelin out there that they can add to AA 1914 and add to their game. I wanted to set forth my Zeppelin rules as bad as they are apparently, thank you for that.

Really appreciate you raining on my parade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thrilled to see Flying Frog had the Zeppelin for purchase, so I got one, devised some House Rules, introduced it to my game group to a resounding Led Zeppelin! They thought the model was cute but had no interest in adding it to the game, so comrade, I know how you feel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Supremo wrote:
I was thrilled to see Flying Frog had the Zeppelin for purchase, so I got one, devised some House Rules, introduced it to my game group to a resounding Led Zeppelin! They thought the model was cute but had no interest in adding it to the game, so comrade, I know how you feel!

I'm guessing you felt "dazed and confused" by your group's rejection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Perdue
United States
MIAMI
flag msg tools
I think these zep rules way overstate the effectiveness of zeps. IPC damage should be a max of 2 and usually only 1. A fighter will kill it fast BUT I do feel a zep would give an air superiority bonus even at sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
Constantinople wrote:

Ok I devised my own Zeppelin rules to make up for the glaring lack of Zeppelins in this 1914 game! I mean come on, a WWI game without Zeppelins???

To review these rules check out the photo captions of the Zeppelin attacking England.

Any comments about the rules and photos are certainly appreciated.

I figure that baloons are already factored in. When we have infantry pieces, we don't see any need to separate between Guard units, reserve units, militia, the Black Watch, or other infantry differences. The only big differences made are categorical, with tank divisions and artillery.

So when you have biplane pieces, know that includes balloons. As far as zeps... neat, but that's about it. The zep was as important as the kilts worn by the Black Watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea for fun, but transport zeppelins? I don't think so.

Their impact was psychological, so they might be tied in to a rule on how the game ends.

Example: Normally the allies have until end of 1920 to win, but for each Z raid in which they fail to take defensive measures, they have one turn less to win the game.

The other big terror weapon, the Paris Gun, could be used the same way. P.G. is usable each turn if the Germans control a territory adjacent to Paris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.