Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eureka! After so many hints and rumours of its existence, after drooling over the "Adverts" on the box-art for "Door To Saturn" I scoured the Valley of the Torrents and found this eons-lost expansion. After painstaking reconstruction of every artifact (ie printed, cut, pasted, and sleeved) I finally played my first game of Golden Scarab...

This isn't a Review but I have to say it's much, much better than I expected. I only used components from this expansion and the Base Game (and Diana Stanley from Dunwich Horror- she seemed like a "natural" for this scenario) so I was afraid it would kinda drag- no way! The new monsters alone keep the game interesting, let alone all the other craziness that happens.

Played against the Ur-Sphinx+ the Scarab Cult. He seemed like the simplest of the new AO's and came with 3 really cool looking Spawn Monsters.

Now for the first round of Dumb Questions...

1) Didn't use the "Egyptian Exhibit"- should I skip over Items and Spells that refer to the Day/Night card (such as "Whispering Hide") if they're not in use?

2) Are Day/Night always in effect or only when using the "Egyptian Exhibit" Guardian?

3) The "Flute Player" (Note- you have no idea how jazzed I am that the "Flute Player" finally shows up in AH!)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Horror -3 does one damage, but Nightmarish 2? Is it really better to fail the Horror Check to ony take 1 damage, but 2 damage for passing?

4) "Book of the Celestial Cow"-
Spoiler (click to reveal)
can it banish Crescent-Moon symbol monsters?

5) How unbalanced are the "Unbalanced" Investigators? They seem pretty balanced if you negate their 2nd Special Ability. Should these Investigators only be used against the toughest Ancient Ones?

This is a really great expansion so far, and there's so much more still to delve into- Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Are Day/Night always in effect or only when using the "Egyptian Exhibit" Guardian?

Um, dunno. Up to you really. Strictly speaking, if the day/night card is not in use, it is technically NEITHER DAY NOR NIGHT, and some encounters account for this in their card text by saying "If it is not day..." or similar - but in hindsight that was a clumsy way of doing it, so you could just skip the day/night-related encounters if you want.

Quote:
The "Flute Player" (Note- you have no idea how jazzed I am that the "Flute Player" finally shows up in AH!) Horror -3 does one damage, but Nightmarish 2? Is it really better to fail the Horror Check to ony take 1 damage, but 2 damage for passing?

Hmmmm, I dont remember why I did that, maybe I had some crazy reason for it or maybe it was just a mistake. There is a SORT of precedent for it on official components though, with the Wraith - where it doesn't matter if you pass the Horror check or not.

Re: theme: I think the "Servitor of the Outer Gods" monster is also meant to be a blind-idiot-flute-player from the court of Azathoth (or whatever), but when I first made CoGS, that monster didn't exist yet.

Quote:
"Book of the Celestial Cow"- can it banish Crescent-Moon symbol monsters?

Yeah, i don't see why not. Nothing very disasterous happens if you allow them to be affected. However it obviuosly shouldn't work on The Dunwich Horror or other special/spawn monsters.

Quote:
How unbalanced are the "Unbalanced" Investigators?

Whether or not the investigators are marked as 'unbalanced' probably depends on what options you've got ticked in Strange Eons. Strange Eons is incapable of making a meaningful estimation of the relative power of written special abilities so in the 'Unbalanced' label can only ever be a very rough estimate (as Thelric himself admits).

Generally speaking I think the CoGS investigators are all designed to be within the bounds of what's reasonable for an AH investigator, but it will always be possible to find some combination of components that makes certain AOs very easy or difficult. I recall that some of the CoGS investigators had one or two extra dollars' worth of items/equipment but nothing serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'm quite glad you like the expansion and that most of it still works!

Tbh I haven't played it myself in aaages, because a) my original copy of the cards is the very scrappy B&W set I printed out when I was first testing it, and b) I am playing less AH these days anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you ever write a Story So Far for Horace Falconer? I've written one for Jon Whitefeather and one for an adapted version of Marie Et-Neit, if you want 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think i ever wrote them, but tbh I don't think I'll bother adding new bits / tweaks to the expansion at this point anyway.

Just post them here if you want... people have the eon files, so they can add them to their own versions if they like, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...and the respective pertsonal stories...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd re-do Jon Whitefeather's story without the broken Pidgin-English. The 1920s were a full generation after the Wild West and Tonto. I envision him being well educated in "Western" ways as well as the Shamanic traditions which make him such a powerhouse.

I like how you tied his Personal Story into the "lost clues" mechanic....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess I saw the character a different way. Different strokes...

I used Pidgin English to represent a refusal to fully accept Western culture (and by extension, a refusal to let his own culture die). Jon has maintained his traditions, including all the old rites which acted as safeguards against the Ancient Ones. In the failure version of the story, we see that just because he has held fast to his beliefs does not mean that his tribe has and that, in letting their culture decline, the Ancient One has become stronger.

Jon is part of my Forbidden Lore project which, if I ever finish it, will hopefully bridge between the custom expansions, hence his mission comepetion can tie in with the lost Clues mechanic in Door to Saturn, and he gains the ability to choose an extra encounter at the Pennacook Reservation (Vermont Horror).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Horace Falconer was the final character without a story so far....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow- I wanna try Horace now!

I like your take on Jon Whitefeather now; he'd probably walk around New England in full traditional regalia regardless of peoples' stares. Still, I've never met a Native American who spoke in broken English. Maybe they did back in the day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Elsen
msg tools
Hey there, cant find the files... Am I blinded or where can I get the filed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm disappointed that this expansion and The Door to Saturn aren't given more prominence - it was only in passing while looking for additional AH content that I found these.

I'm also very disheartened that the files aren't exactly accessible i.e. - ready to print & play. I have to learn Strange Aeons and how to edit content to get something I can printable. It would be nice if these were made available for the less technically proficient rather than a uploading a bunch of files and effectively leaving it up to the user to figure it all out.

Lastly a question - I'm in the process of creating pdf print sheets for Golden Scarab and have discovered that the card list for the common items does not correspond to items present in the common item deck - mention is made of a "Lucky Crystal" - which is not supplied.

Does anyone know what this is and/or in possession of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House Rules
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't follow me! I'm lost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love a copy of that PDF with printable files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apollak10 wrote:

I was about a third through making it before running into the missing component card.

If I knew it was fine I could continue the process. Maybe even upload the finished product here if the creator had no objections...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at about 90% complete and
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
has kindly granted me permission to upload the completed product.

The challenge will be to get the resultant pdf under the BGG file size limit.

I'll either break it up, lower the pdf quality slightly or maybe put a link to a file locker. I'll decide when I know what I'm working with.

Hope to have something done soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wells

Gilbert
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apollak10 wrote:

Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to proof-read before converting - found a few minor formatting issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I've finished and uploaded the files.

The final pdf is 30 mb so I've had to split it into 9 parts to get it in under the BGG upload limit.

It's in the hands of the mods now - should put in an appearance shortly.

Many thanks to

Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

AND

Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

for permissions and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.