Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is July 3, 1863. The day before, Confederate forces failed to take Little Round Top. Today, Confederate commanding General Robert E. Lee is prepared to assault the center of the Union lines, because he is convinced that they are weak here.

Right after lunch, the Confederates open with a powerful cannon barrage in order to weaken the Union's defenses and the battle starts shortly after 1:00.

(A view from the Confederate side)

(Overhead view)

The Confederate's coordination was poor, and as a result, both Pettigrew's left wing as well as the right moved ahead of the main thrust, under the command of Pickett and Armisted:

Pettigrew's forces soon took horrific casualties and Pettigrew was cut down. Armisted and Pickett pushed up the middle, but they too fell under a brutal artillergy barrage part way across the battlefield.

Suddenly, a small element of Jeb Stuart's cavalry joined the charge and Pickett took command. This rallied the forces, as they pushed forward and were able to cross the stone wall. Armitage, as well as Pickett managed to make it across: Armitage balancing his hat on the end of his sword.

However the union counterattack soon cut down both leaders and their respective brigades.

It was a lopsided Union victory (7-2). Lee then retreated southward. His final advance into the North had been turned away.

Note: I played this a year ago, and the confederates drew every great card they could hope for: both artillery barrage cards (moved the artillery up 3 spaces and then provided 2 rounds of fire). Two forced marches, to get the center right up on the fence line, and an activate every card in the center, all the while, the Union failing to draw sufficient center-region cards. It was bloody, but the Confederates pulled it off. It was close enough that I figured typically, the Union would win by a route, so this did not surprise me. Aiding the Union was that they drew both artillery barrage cards, which was just brutal on the advancing Confederate center, as well as the hold and fire, allowing them activate the entire center to fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: BMW fanMicrobadge: Bourbon drinkerMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: I Hate Winter

Note: I played this a year ago, and the confederates drew every great card they could hope for: both artillery barrage cards (moved the artillery up 3 spaces and then provided 2 rounds of fire). Two forced marches, to get the center right up on the fence line, and an activate every card in the center, all the while, the Union failing to draw sufficient center-region cards. It was bloody, but the Confederates pulled it off. It was close enough that I figured typically, the Union would win by a route, so this did not surprise me. Aiding the Union was that they drew both artillery barrage cards, which was just brutal on the advancing Confederate center, as well as the hold and fire, allowing them activate the entire center to fire.[/q]

Pretty much the way it was. Lee would have needed all the "good" cards to have pulled this off. Nice report and pics...thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! Instead of doing this, I stayed up till 2 in the morning watching "Gettysburg" on a huge projected screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: BMW fanMicrobadge: Bourbon drinkerMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: I Hate Winter
Cooz wrote:
Nice work! Instead of doing this, I stayed up till 2 in the morning watching "Gettysburg" on a huge projected screen.
Funny...beats watching a Vampires flick .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Actually, I would think crawling around looking for someone's eye would be a pretty fun game in its own right.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
Microbadge: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gaming is going on in here!Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Gamer Family
Cooz wrote:
Did almost the same thing Tuesday night. I started watching it about 7pm and didn't finish until after 11. Out TV is only 42", but I made sure to sit real close and turn up the sound during the battle scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Cooz wrote:
Funny...beats watching a Vampires flick .
. . . Every time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls