Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come to enjoy playing with the Russian Commissar a lot more than I thought I would. The need to think ahead, and the inability to react immediately most of the time, while often frustrating, can be interesting and satisfying when things work out.

I'm now wondering what is the historical basis for the Commissar. From what I can tell from a bit of Google searching, the Russians used political commissars embedded in the military to enforce discipline. I'm wondering if they actually got involved with on-the-ground tactical decisions, telling generals what to do day to day? Were those orders actually relayed from some central HQ, causing bureaucratic delay and the inability to quickly react to situation the ground? Any other historical insights to help understand how the Russian Commissar works in M'44?

Note I ask out of curiosity, not because I think M'44 is or should be more than a stylized "simulation" of history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortly before the war, Stalin had a lot of the high ranking officers in the Soviet military killed because he feared a coup d'état. Therefore the army was led by less experienced officers at the start of the war and the Communist party kept a very close eye on the army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SammySnijbonen wrote:
Shortly before the war, Stalin had a lot of the high ranking officers in the Soviet military killed because he feared a coup d'état. Therefore the army was led by less experienced officers at the start of the war and the Communist party kept a very close eye on the army.

Absolutely accurate. If you read for instance some episodes of the Winter War, you'll read almost in every chronicle how terrible were those Political Commisars, when talking about strategical & tactical skills.

Take a look in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_commissar

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wiki is not always a good source of info.
you can read about Zampolit here for example

http://www.mvep.org/zampolit.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:

True, but it may orientative. If we wanna be accurate, we should then get a history book or something like you have pointed us out.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
skolo wrote:

True, but it may orientative. If we wanna be accurate, we should then get a history book or something like you have pointed us out.

Cheers

History books are famously skewed based on what nation the history class is teaching for! They are actually not the best source of information either, in most cases. If we want to get to the bottom of this, we should be looking for primary sources (people who wrote or talked about it and where actually there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been studying history for a number of years now and I have found that reading a number of books relating to a subject. Although official histories can sway toward that nation, the key is to read books released by all nations involved as well as independent releases.

Primary sources are excellent as well though interviews that took place decades after the fact can not be taken as gospel (Band of Brothers used mainly firsthand accounts taken from veterans sometime after WW2 and there are a number of errors in the history because of this).

Primary sources taken from government archives are probably the best primary source as they tend to be official documents.
If firsthand accounts are going to be used normally it is best to have a number of accounts from different people that confirm the same thing.
Combining History books and primary sources will give you a very good idea of what happened.

Though I have found that reading books like i explained above, official histories of all nations and independent releases gives a pretty clear picture too as once you have a bit of experience researching you can normally read between the lines and see what doesn’t fit.

As for the commissar rule it basically represents orders on the ground having to be sent through the commissar for approval before they could be acted on. (Commissars in general didn’t hesitate to shoot officers who failed to use this chain of command or officers who just failed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.