Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is called, "product's life cycle".

If they want, the designers should get their hands in something more in the same theme, or different theme, and good open-ended gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a really good game, but honestly, not top 100 material. I have a lot of fun playing it, but there's nothing that's really scorchingly brilliant about it, and there's a number of small problems to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
It's a really good game, but honestly, not top 100 material. I have a lot of fun playing it, but there's nothing that's really scorchingly brilliant about it, and there's a number of small problems to the game.
it is a very flexible game, and many variants may be implemented to make the game better according to each player's taste!

definetely top 100 !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is in #16 on strategy games and I found it to be extremely boring and easy.
So just because something is in the top 20, it doesn't make it good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:
it is a very flexible game, and many variants may be implemented to make the game better according to each player's taste!

definetely top 100 !
A game where every player needs to change it to his or her own tastes might not be as well received as some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
manolios wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:

definetely top 100 !
A game where every player needs to change it to his or her own tastes might not be as well received as some
on the contrary!
i believe it is in the pros of a game, to be that way!
in my opinion of course.
You can anytime play it as it is, but minor variants didn't harm anyone, if they are having fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop depressing me

It's still the highest rated pirate game, and its sandbox-like feel is still pretty unique. I hope that that merits room in the top 100. But I can see the writing on the wall

At any rate it's been quite an honor to have made it, even if it was only for a few years cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Papa Jon
msg tools
I'm surprised, Maybe its time for an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Stop depressing me

It's still the highest rated pirate game, and it's sandbox-like feel is still pretty unique. I hope that that merits room in the top 100. But I can see the writing on the wall

At any rate it's been quite an honor to have made it, even if it was only for a few years cool
Haha yeah I was going to say, it's not like there's other pirate games beating it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's now 96. Probably someone who likes it read the thread and remembered to rate it
Personally, I rate it at 7.75, which makes me not surprised it's not in the top 100 (although it's one of the games I own, which are not even 100).
For me, the most important variant has been to play to 7 or 8 points (with 4 max gold points) and with 2 or 3 players: when it competes for the 90 minutes spot, M&M comes out better than when it's competing in the 120-150 minutes range.

Best
Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
7 Wonders is in #16 on strategy games and I found it to be extremely boring and easy.
So just because something is in the top 20, it doesn't make it good.
Popular does not always equal good. Are we geeks forgetting about high school?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
I'm not sure it's a case of having fallen. But there are a LOT of great games coming out all the time, so it is bound to wind its way down the list after some time.

not really fallen so much as others have climbed.
Exactly. There are lots of good games that have come out since then. Just because Hank Aaron is no longer the "official" home run king does not devalue what he did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
It's now 96. Probably someone who likes it read the thread and remembered to rate it
Personally, I rate it at 7.75, which makes me not surprised it's not in the top 100 (although it's one of the games I own, which are not even 100).
For me, the most important variant has been to play to 7 or 8 points (with 4 max gold points) and with 2 or 3 players: when it competes for the 90 minutes spot, M&M comes out better than when it's competing in the 120-150 minutes range.

Best
Geki
Geki - totally agree. It's a bit too long for what it is. Reminds me of Spartacus. I played M&M at the Lobster Trap gathering last year with 4p and it took about 3 hours. I was pretty drained. It has some wonky rules, etc, but I still had a fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
But how is games like LoW 50 plus places ahead of it? This rating system perplexes me...
It's because the rating system is based on "how often you're likely to play a game," and not, "Is this the best game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that there are hundreds if not thousands of games published every year, if a game is in the top 1000, then it's a pretty good game. No need to worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Merchants and Marauders needs is an expansion to add more ship variety as well as simplify some of the more wonkier mechanics like ship battles. The expansion would inject new life into the game and see it surge ahead again.

I'd also like to see the galleon officially changed to 1 maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:

definetely top 100 !
It's not a flaw. It'as a feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even pay attention to where a game is ranked. For me it is the least helpful information when helping me choose whether to buy or not. I enjoy playing M&M as is. CoC is a great game also. I'm looking forward to Christian's next design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Laverty
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Monsterpocalypse fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Merchants & Marauders fan
I'm not too surprised, because the rating system is based on players and players generally rate things high when they get them, not after they've played them for years. Secondly game rating is based on personal taste, which drastically varies.

Christian, don't take it personally. This is my favourite board game as it provides an experience. What other people define as 'problems with the game', I see as elements of the experience. I prefer open world gaming experiences, which this provides in copious amounts. I prefer a game that is unpredictable and fits the theme, which this provides. I prefer a game that gives the players a game system that can be tinkered with and expanded, which this provides. I prefer a game that allows you to be a character and be immersed in a living, breathing world, which this provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
But how is games like LoW 50 plus places ahead of it? This rating system perplexes me...
Because of what itch a game scratches. I played M&M once, bought it, and it sat on my shelf for nearly two years without being played. It's fun, but it's too long for what it is (in my opinion). As for LoW, when you are familiar with it, you can play it in less than an hour. It fits a schedule and is fun and with the right people, very strategic.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love long games...but unfortunately, there were other games I'd rather play (TS, Combat Commander, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ingenious fanMicrobadge: DVONN fanMicrobadge: '1'Microbadge: '0'Microbadge: TAMSK fan
marqzen wrote:
Stop depressing me :p

It's still the highest rated pirate game, and its sandbox-like feel is still pretty unique. I hope that that merits room in the top 100. But I can see the writing on the wall :)

At any rate it's been quite an honor to have made it, even if it was only for a few years :cool:
Time to start playing Clash of Cultures and get that into the Top 100 if we can, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Johnny on the spot.
Microbadge: 2013 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2014 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2017 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2019 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participant
marqzen wrote:
Stop depressing me

It's still the highest rated pirate game, and its sandbox-like feel is still pretty unique. I hope that that merits room in the top 100. But I can see the writing on the wall

We love this game! It's one that my girlfriend requests quite often, which is saying something as she doesn't normally like the longer games.
It's really top notch fun IMHO.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that a 5-6 player expansion with some new captains and cards would fly off the shelves!

Ever considered something along these lines?

(Yes, this is me subtly begging for some such expansion. If five could play this would hit the table much more frequently.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding more players is not always a good thing.

I think it's already much too long with 4 players. With more players it would be even longer... No, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Johnny on the spot.
Microbadge: 2013 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2014 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2017 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2019 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participant
Kaermo wrote:
Adding more players is not always a good thing.

I think it's already much too long with 4 players. With more players it would be even longer... No, thanks!
If you don't like the length of the game you can always play to 8 instead of 10. Our games, to the full ten, regularly come in at under two hours. As long as players think ahead this shouldn't be too hard for anyone to achieve. Also, there is many times when a player ports as their second or third action, allowing the next player in line to go ahead and start their turn.

For us M&M is an experience, and one that most all the people we game with can really get into. We have bandanas and eye patches for the pirates, and always speak with an overabundance of rolling "rrrrr's" when we play. We also often have five people who all want to play.

Some people prefer quicker games, and that's fine. But for those who say it's too long for what it is, I'm sure their version of "what it is" differs drastically from mine. Very themey pick up and deliver where you can attack your opponents, with a dash of a role playing feel is worth the extra table time for us.

I just think that a game that was us successful as M&M for a few years would be ripe for an expansion of some sort to respark interest and bring in some new owners as well. Allowing the addition of a fifth player with said expansion would make sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Pax
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Stop depressing me

Thx fr designing such an awesome game. Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |