Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kiehnhoff
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The way we have been playing with 2 players instead of leaving the extra prophecy card hand face up is to deal 1 of each prophecy type to each player and the shadow, then to distribute the remaining 3 evenly and at random. This gives each player and the Shadow 4 cards. You still hunt as normal with 1 of each skill type, and if you run into the shadow instead of requiring a double of the fighting skill as normal, you have to have all 4 of the skills under the shadow (the 4th one could be guiding, seeking, or fighting).
You can alter this variant by requiring that the shadow have 2 fighting skills, so that you still need 2 fighting skills to win, or you can require that the party which finds him must have all 4 skills AND a double of the fighting skill(s). This could require the party to have 5-6 skills instead of the normal 4.
Hope you guys find this a good way to play with 2. Good hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Albert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Cool idea.

Another two player variant that's not as creative is to hand out to each player one set of prophesy cards, then put one under the Shadow and then put the last set off to the side. When someone goes hunting, regardless of whether or not they win, they get to keep one of the extra cards. This can result in one person having 6 cards and the other having 3, although it's almost always 4-5. Thus the player who hunts early is rewarded. The only drawback is that people will hire any random hunter that allows them to hunt and then go hunting to let them die just to learn more of the prophesy.

So...the other way to do it is to only reward a prophesy card if the person is succesful on the hunt. However, I don't like this one as much because you still have people who hunt too early but when they win they win BIG. Think about it. If you hire someone, even for 3 shares, then go hunting and win: you get 5/8 of the treasure and you get an extra prophesy card. Meanwhile the other player may actually have a better party but when he/she goes hunting they lose to a harder Dark Agent and get nothing. I understand that some luck is involved in winning a hunt, but this seems to swing the game way too much in one player's direction just because they got lucky when they really shouldn't have been hunting in the first place. Like going to the Dark Woods with just Melee and Subdue.

Try each one and see which one you like more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The problem I see with the variant that gives you extra information with a successful hunt, is that it tips the value of starting characters heavily towards the Arena and away from the Tower. You're just a lot more likely to hunt successfully in the Palace than anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played HP once and I am not sure it needs a variant, per se. Yet, I too felt like figuring out the prophecy went a little fast with 2 people. This just came to me while reading the variant here so I was curious what people think.

What about doing something like this:

The dummy hand is played face down but in a set order
ex: fighting > guiding > seeking

When a player hunts, if they are not thwarted by their opponent they may look at one of the face down cards with the exception that they MAY NOT look in a category for which they, themselves, have a card.
Ex: I have, as my starting hand, subdue, darkwoods, bait. I go on a hunt with, subdue, palace, tracking. My opponent passes. I may look either at the guiding or seeking skill of the dummy hand.

Would this work?
I would love some feedback.

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.