Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the first time last night, and ran into a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to. The first was concerning combat against minions. I don't see anything that says how many hits they can take, if any. Will a single blood result kill them? Does it take an actual killed result? I just don't see anything that describes how many hits they can take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Played for the first time last night, and ran into a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to. The first was concerning combat against minions. I don't see anything that says how many hits they can take, if any. Will a single blood result kill them? Does it take an actual killed result? I just don't see anything that describes how many hits they can take.

Simply Hunters can't get a WOUND result against a Minion. They can only get a KILLED or END or CONTINUE result. Check it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll look again and see if I can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnston
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all in the cards. Minions can only attack hunters with punch, dodge, knife, pistol, or rifle, and none of those provide wound results on the Hunter's attack cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, that would explain why I couldn't find any reference to it in the rules. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
What happens to the minion if the hunter successfully "Escapes" or there is otherwise an "End" combat result (ie. from 3 "continues?")

We assumed they minion encounter is discarded back to the pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chantigny
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the encounter is not killed, I'd personnaly put him back on the location since it's not dead. It would be to easy to get in a fight with a vampire and escape juste so Dracula can't Mature him...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
verive wrote:
What happens to the minion if the hunter successfully "Escapes" or there is otherwise an "End" combat result (ie. from 3 "continues?")

I understood that they stayed on the trail until defeated. If you run into an agent guarding a location you had to kill them or bypass the city. You weren't allowed to clear the encounter by just running away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
verive wrote:

I understood that they stayed on the trail until defeated. If you run into an agent guarding a location you had to kill them or bypass the city. You weren't allowed to clear the encounter by just running away.

We had the same question, but found a possible answer in the rules:

The rules clearly state that encounters are returned to the encounter pool once they are resolved. So, in our case, a Hunter was fighting a Minion and the fight ended due to a 3-continue string. It seemed like the Minion should stick around, since it wasn't defeated, but--technically--the encounter was resolved, so it should go back into the pool.

We did still have an unresolved question, though: If two encounters are in the same location (e.g., due to the Hide card), who decides which to resolve first? In our game, a Hunter entered a city with a New Vampire and a Minion. Should he have to fight the Minion first, or can he just tackle the New Vampire and then deal with the Minion? As it was daytime, this was a pretty big question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Quote:
It seemed like the Minion should stick around, since it wasn't defeated, but--technically--the encounter was resolved, so it should go back into the pool.

It all depends on what you define resolved as. Personally I believe the encounter stays until it is defeated via a killed result. An End result is not resolution just a delay of game kind of thing.

Under the End result in the rulebook it clearly states, "The combat ends immediately, although it can be started again during the next round." This would be impossible to do if you returned the encounter to the pool.

I think in just about every instance the rulebook states that Dracula decides the order in which encounters are resolved. On page 13 under Dracula's Catacombs 2nd paragraph it states, "Dracula chooses the order in which the hunter faces the encounters."

Under the Hide special ability it says to resolve the encounters "...just like a card in the catacombs".

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess my reasoning is influenced by the old GW version of the game. In that game the minions stay until killed. As the new game makes no mention of them going away on their own at the end of combat I reasoned that the encounter isn't resolved until you defeat it.

DavidT wrote:
We did still have an unresolved question, though: If two encounters are in the same location (e.g., due to the Hide card), who decides which to resolve first? In our game, a Hunter entered a city with a New Vampire and a Minion. Should he have to fight the Minion first, or can he just tackle the New Vampire and then deal with the Minion? As it was daytime, this was a pretty big question.

That one at least is pretty cut and dried.

The rules for Hide on P.21 says that the Hunter must deal with both Encounters "Just like a card in the catacombs".

The catacomb rules on P.13 says that Dracula decides what order the Hunter faces the Encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is in the FAQ of FFG. Agents that are not defeated remain in their location. But, indeed, this is unclear from the rulebook included with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.