Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Adams
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Folks, I do not understand why Rumis is being called Blokus 3D on BGG. Rumis came first and I know this because I played Rumis before Blokus 3D came out plus I checked on both games and Rumis came out in 2004 whereas Blokus 3D came out in 2008. I seriously HATE when people on BGG get their games labeled wrong! In fact, in my opinion, these two games are separate even tho they play the same. BUT, if it is insisted that these two games be merged together, then call this game RUMIS and just add Blokus 3D as a variation of the game. DO NOT call this game Blokus 3D and Rumis as the variation. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

If someone is just finding the game, they need to find it under the actual name it can be purchased as.

We also have a game here called Go. It is not called Weiqi, which is what the real original name was.

Games should be called by what their present designation is.

That said, it will show in a search for alternative names, so Rumis owners find the new version.

But the present name should always be the heading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a game gets retitled due to rebranding or a new edition or whatever, I think BGG tries to use whatever the most widely published or current version is. There's no simple objective criterion, and whatever title is picked will be displeasing to some users...

I'm not sure what the big problem is. You can set the version in your collection to be the specific "Rumis" which you own if you like.

FWIW I own "Rumis" and call it Rumis too, but plenty of people own and call it "Blokus 3D". They are the same game, just 2 different versions/editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Adams
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Geosphere wrote:
We also have a game here called Go. It is not called Weiqi, which is what the real original name was.

Games should be called by what their present designation is.

That said, it will show in a search for alternative names, so Rumis owners find the new version.

But the present name should always be the heading.

If this is true that it will show in a search for alternative names, then the original name of the game should be used because even if people type in Blokus 3D as they may know it, Rumis will show up and you'll see Blokus 3D merged with it. IMO, if the original name has faded and a more popular name has become the standard, then you can use the more popular name, as in the case of Go. In this case I don't think Blokus 3D has yet become the standard name for this game because the name Rumis has not yet faded. Most people I have encountered know this game as Rumis, not Blokus 3D. In my experience, most people when I mention Blokus 3D think I am talking about a completely different game. They do not realize it is the same game. Only because the original Blokus as everybody knows it is a completely different game and a lot of people I have been around in game groups only know of the original Blokus game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like it or not, BGG caters to the people buying ads. The primary name of the game and the representative image will be the current English language edition, unless the publisher wants otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Beaumont
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
mb
Blokus 3D is the US name, AFAIK. I have never seen this game under that name in EU, so to me there is no such thing as Blokus 3D. There is only Rumis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
You can set the version in your collection to be the specific "Rumis" which you own if you like.

As Russ pointed out, you can select the version you own and it will show up as Rumis in your collection, with the corresponding image. You can also set custom version info to name it anything you want and display any image you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg G.
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest to split Rumis and Blokus 3D. For example, the old and new version of "Through the Ages" have separate entries on BGG, so it would be consistent to make Rumis and Blokus 3D separate as well. Rumis is a distinctively different game from Blokus 3D, with differences in structure layouts and even rules about the building height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.