aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game of Blood Bowl yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Due to it's expensive and limited availability, I was suggested this alternative instead.

If I were to invest in this game, I'm looking at the base game and the other two team expansions.

I also checked the kickstarter page, and see that there are a lot of single MVP figures reccommended. Am I going to be ok without these guys initially, or are they a crucial part of the game? thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
I played a game of Blood Bowl yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Due to it's expensive and limited availability, I was suggested this alternative instead.

If I were to invest in this game, I'm looking at the base game and the other two team expansions.

I also checked the kickstarter page, and see that there are a lot of single MVP figures reccommended. Am I going to be ok without these guys initially, or are they a crucial part of the game? thanks!

Only if you are playing in a tournament, which is most unlikely. Stick with the standard teams and you will be fine. The game comes with some MVP's anyways, so you aren't out in cold. I would recommend you get the last two teams of season 1 as their stats and abilities are right in the rulebook.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
zenmazster wrote:

Only if you are playing in a tournament, which is most unlikely. Stick with the standard teams and you will be fine. The game comes with some MVP's anyways, so you aren't out in cold. I would recommend you get the last two teams of season 1 as their stats and abilities are right in the rulebook.

-Ski

Unless you get it as part of a deal the base game doesn't come with any MVPs, just the Corporation and Maruader teams. But otherwise TeamSki is correct, they are not an essential part of play and as they are quite cheap you can just add them in gradually as you feel or encourage other people who are playing to buy some, especially if you are providing the teams. Also there are actually 6 extra teams available now, not two. But again you don't need all of these to play, you can add these in at your leisure or encourage others to buy them.

One thing to note is that this is not very similar to Blood Bowl though. They're both sports games but that's about where it stops. I've been playing Blood Bowl for over 15 years now and backed Dreadball on KS so started playing it as soon as it was released and I can confirm that DB is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, the base game comes with Orx (10 players) and Humans (10 players). The rulebook included with the base game does include rules for several MVPs---but each MVP is a single blister model sold separately and not included in the base game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help guys!!

Ok one more question, so if I wanted to make sure all the teams were fairly balanced with MVPS, (and since the first two expansion teams have MVPs), which ones should I pick up? 1 for the orx and one for the humans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron,

MVPs can swing the balance out of whack. That's why they are costly and fun. You don't pay for their in-game play to be on a level field. You do it to get advantage

MVPs will play for whatever races their description states.
Some have teams they will never play for. Some have teams they will only play for.

Buzzcut is an Ogre who will play for anyone.
Number 88 is a mysterious alien who will play for anyone
John Does is a cthulhu looking alien who'll play for anyone except Orx.
Payback is a Rat-man who will only play for Rats (Veer-myn).
Lucky Logan only plays for human teams.
Slippery Joe is a Goblin who'll only play for Orx.
Gorim Ironstone is a Forge Father (dwarf) who'll only play for dwarfs.
Enforcer is a human in power armor who will play for anyone.

MVPs are open for bid by all coaches (you and your opponent are called coaches). Even if MVP won't play for my team I can out-bid you to prevent you from having him; I still have to pay the bid if I win since I'm still paying the MVP, just not to play against me.

Picking the all-comers MVPs (who will play for anyone) can make things more exciting but the bidding mechanic makes it fun regardless.
Hope this helps.

Daron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note though is that the bidding mechanic is designed for hiring MVPs in league play. In one of games you have a couple of options. You can either just allow people to take an MVP (or more) in their team to allow some variation or allow people to have a certain number of credits above the base cost which they can spend on rolls on the skill tables, MVPs, extra players etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of kickstarter games that I regret getting into, since after the fact you can get things MUCH cheaper from online retailers.

This is definitely not one of them. The Striker level ($150) actually was a kick ass deal, relative to what all came with it. Would cost more to acquire everything, even at online retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true.

You can get a ton of mileage from just the starter set.
Even cooler if a buddy has a starter set.

Corporation v. Marauders lets you play two different styles that require different strategies to be competitive. Playing Corp v. Corp. or Orx v. Orx lets you revisit play styles in another way.

You can also make MVPs just by proxying with the starter set.
You only need 8 players to fill out your roster for either team.

That means an extra goblin identified so you know he's an MVP becomes Slippery Joe (maybe you give him a different paintjob, base, greenstuff moustache, etc.). An extra human player becomes, say, Lucky Logan or Player 88.

As long as you and your opponents can ID stuff and are good with it, you have the rules and you have minis to try stuff out.

Not having pile o' plastic also gives you time to learn the game and paint up your stuff at a reasonable pace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
privateer4hire wrote:
You can also make MVPs just by proxying with the starter set.
You only need 8 players to fill out your roster for either team.

That means an extra goblin identified so you know he's an MVP becomes Slippery Joe (maybe you give him a different paintjob, base, greenstuff moustache, etc.). An extra human player becomes, say, Lucky Logan or Player 88.

Proxying is a great idea. The season three teams are going to be released to a public beta so hopefully lots of people will be doing this soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.