Subject: Scenario 2 USS Minnesota rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to rule 4.0 every ship MUST execute an order, and yet Minnesota is Grounded and forbidden to Refloat. Does this mean that she has to keep whizzing her Anchor up and down and hope that a nasty CSA player doesn't drop Slipped Anchor on her?

More generally, does this imply that it is mandatory to attempt to Refloat or Unfoul even though you may not want to at the present time?

In the Optional Rules, Minnesota is allowed to Refloat but suffers an automatic Engine stopped and must perform the Engine Damaged check to see if she suffers a WL Critical. Doesn't this check ALSO determine whether the Refloat succeeds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (pretty sure) the Minnesota simply does not execute orders but still gets a gunnery segment. I believe this was addressed in a different post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Example of Play in the Playbook (pages 27-29). It shows scenario #2 being played as Dan said. Minnesota just doesn't use the order cards, but conducts gunnery normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure that anybody uses Orders cards in the Example, but nice try anyway guys. OK you can probably infer that Minnesota gets a 'pass' on the Orders cards, but the second question (do you have to Refloat or Unfoul immediately) is important.

I am going to try to play Scenario 2 with the Optionals but I have a bad feeling about it. If the dice go well:

Turn 1 Zouave enters.
Turn 2 Zouave grapples, Minnesota Refloats.
Turn 3 Zouave and Minnesota go off hand in hand.

And Virginia is struggling to get close enough to do anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing I read in the scenario 2 optional rules or the Refloat rules (4.3) makes me think Minnesota must attempt to refloat immediately. I think you are fine to wait for turn 2 or later. Towing another ship off the board may take a few tries. Tell Virginia to get moving!!

One of the rules (last part of 4.0) in the orders section says that if an illegal order is given treat it as "drift" and use the drift table if the ship is able to move (not grounded, fouled to a hulk/obstruction, or anchored, I suppose).

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Done it, Zouave tows Minnesota off on Turn 6 despite delayed entry due to the CSA showering her with Slow Maneuver cards. Virginia with her punctured Smokestack moves exactly one Grid Box. Not sure that the 'Optional' rules help the scenario.

The business of towing and grounding/fouling is a little vague. It says that once Grappled you use the Movement roll of the tower, but of course the Minnesota has to be Refloated first, so it must be given separate orders (the Zouave cannot be ordered to Refloat the Minnesota).

Once under way, AFAIK if the towee gets Fouled/Grounded then neither can move, but if the towee frees itself then the tower can try to move them both in the same turn. Conversely if the tower gets Fouled/Grounded then neither can move for at least one turn because the tower expends its own action on the Refloat/Unfoul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano License
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Really the CSA should've used the Slow Maneuver cards during the tow attempts. You have a -4 DRM on the maneuver DRM due to towing on a 10/8. So the maximum you can get on the dice is 6 whilst being opposed by a 10. With Slow Maneuver (say with a -2 DRM) that then become 4 in 10 chance to escape. If Virginia or Patrick Henry gets in range quick enough, they can hit the Zouave and scupper that plan as the Zouave is really easily damaged.

However, it can be hit and miss overall. Virginia could be held up due to its smoke stack, whilst Patrick can't get too close due to its draft. I think the randomness hits both sides, which keeps it competitive. Of course it can end really quickly if you get lucky. But I think that's what that scenario is designed to be.

I had an interesting game of it yesterday where the CSA ships got held up whilst the Monitor got in position and started hitting on Virginia. Virginia got in close, ready to ram the Monitor, when a lucky shot by the Patrick Henry hit the Monitor's magazines. Kaboom! It quickly sank critically damaging the Virginia and starting a large fire. In the meantime the Zouave was trying to tow the Minnesota away, which in turn was firing at the Patrick which was now a space away. Eventually the Zouave was destroyed stranding the Minnesota whilst the Virginia finally got the fire under control with only one point from being heavy damaged. Really done to the wire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.