GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
154 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Google Chrome Netrunnner extension rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple weeks ago I asked for help testing a Chrome extension I wrote for Netrunner. Well, after feedback and fixes, yesterday I've released it to everyone. If Chrome is your regular browser, you can get it here.

How it works: you hit the credit icon and it scans the text for card names (and my best guess for likely substitutes like Kate, Gabe, etc). Then it replaces those card names with links to netrunnercards.info (if they are already links, those links are not replaced) and it adds a tooltip popup with the card image. In addition, if there's a card name that the scanning missed (for example, DataRaven instead of Data Raven), you can select it and right click. You will then get a list of suggested card names and if you pick a card name, it will do the replace and tooltip thing.

A lot of credit goes to Alsciende of netrunnercards.info. His website provides an API that makes the extension possible and it was his idea to include the "select and search" feature.

Thanks to everyone who's checked it out and given feedback! If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to message me or post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is extremely, extremely cool!

Thank you!

I'd been thinking about writing a wordpress extension or something to let people easily build this kind of popup image function into their blog posts as they write them, and this is in many ways even better

One thing I would love to see you add in future would be pre-loading of card images (as soon as it finishes inserting the links?) so the popup images can appear immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ingram
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Would it make sense to automatically enable on every page loaded from boardgamegeek, or the ffg forums, or cardgamedb? Am I the only one who finds it a little tedious to have to click the little button every time i view another thread in the bgg forums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'd prefer the suggestion to have a list of domains/sites you could run it on automatically. I'd find it annoying to have it run every time personally and I'm happy clicking the button.

I was wondering if you got any feedback from when people highlight and right click to search so you can add commonly highlighted variations to the extension?

Demo Run doesn't go to Demolition Run automatically for example. It also misses English spellings, e.g. Biotic Labour rather than Labor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for this. Already got a lot of use from it!

Is there a "suggestion box" somewhere? For instance Demo Run and Dino are rarely written out in full, so it would be good for the shorter versions to trigger the links. Is there an "official" way to submit these suggestions?

Keep up the good work anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you're at it, how about popping out Yog.0 and Dinosaurus when somebody puts "Yogosaurus"? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I've been reading feedback here and will work on it a little bit this weekend, including responding to feedback here. I've already spent all my father/husband brownie points to get it released, so I need to build that back up.

(Aka, I'm spending all four actions taking four brownie points before making another run on the Netrunner Lookup server).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is excellent! :D

One feedback I can offer is that it would be really nice if the page were continuously scanned rather than only once upon button press. I talk about Netrunner in gchat a lot, and having chats be link-ified as they happen would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the right-click Card Search stop working for anyone else? I don't have the option anymore. It only will come up with a "Rez Netrunner Lookup" if I don't have the page-wide extension enabled, but there's no more individual text string look-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Did the right-click Card Search stop working for anyone else? I don't have the option anymore. It only will come up with a "Rez Netrunner Lookup" if I don't have the page-wide extension enabled, but there's no more individual text string look-up.

Huh. I see the same thing, Brian. Weird. I wonder if a Chrome update broke something?

Edit: I'll get it figured out tonight hopefully as well as adding some of the easier matches such as Demo Run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is definitely possible. Thanks for looking into it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
That is definitely possible. Thanks for looking into it!

Sure, I'm leaning towards the Chrome update breaking something. There was an update, http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2013/07/10/Goog..., that addresses some security issues. The "Card Search" passes information back and forth between the active tab and the extension so it wouldn't surprise me if that suddenly stopped working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed now, no update necessary. However, pointed out a fix I'll need to make to avoid it happening again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, works fine now (and a week ago when you fixed it).

Small suggestion: I noticed that Plascrete is not an auto-link...I think it's safe to say that it wouldn't be used in any other context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just published version 1.1.3, it should be available in about an hour. Don't expect too many changes in this one! Just added the suggested card names in this thread, the Creation and Control cards, and I made a minor tweak to make card loads a little faster. Note, Creation and Control cards should already be working with exact names, but this extension adds some "good guesses".

Before I implement a whitelist, I want things to work faster. I learned there's a Magic the Gathering extension that does similar things as my extension. It converts the links very quickly so I'm going to see if I can figure out how it does it so quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, the plugin is amazing. thanks for your hard work! i use it all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New version! 1.2.2! It's available now, I believe Chrome will automatically update when restarted.

Changes in this version:
1. Faster! Much faster. I changed the way the cards are searched for and it's quite a bit faster. I also hardcoded all the exact card names used for the "select and search" feature instead of downloading them all from Netrunnercards.info. I now only grab the cards since the last update, which is 7/30/2013.
2. Tweaked the frame of the popup so it fits a little better.

That's about it. With the greater speed, I feel more comfortable considering a whitelist option. I'll look into it more seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
With the greater speed, I feel more comfortable considering a whitelist option. I'll look into it more seriously.

Please do. I would love to have it automatically load images here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New minor version release, version 1.2.3. Fixed an issue with how I was handling version "Humanity's Shadow". Thanks to "Google User" for pointing it out. Also added a few more common card alternatives (example: MMC, Popup, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Es sencillamente genial!!!! ... erm, i mean is awesome ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Viktor 2.0 only links up viktor and will show viktor 1.0 leaving the 2.0 unlinked.

v1.2.3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Explosive6 wrote:
Viktor 2.0 only links up viktor and will show viktor 1.0 leaving the 2.0 unlinked.

v1.2.3

Thanks for catching that! I was searching for Viktor before Viktor 2.0. All the other 1.0/2.0 are already fine and Viktor is fixed in 1.2.4 which I just published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of truncation suggestions that could be added:

Corp Troubleshooter or just Troubleshooter
Aesop
(possibly) Daily Cast (instead of Casts, I've seen it misspelled this way a couple times I think)

Keep up the good work! Love this plugin so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DRDRJDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8LYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWY JGLDDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8RJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4Q
United States
DRJNZ7Z3JGLYBDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8OQ9JDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1B
flag msg tools
badge
Someone in another thread suggested using this extension in conjunction with the Little Chiba deckbuilder which is just brilliant. Now every card appears immediately on mouseover...except Project Beale. What's up with that?

Edit: Beale doesn't appear when I activate the extension on this page either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.