GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,854 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Duel of Ages II» Forums » News

Subject: Update: Duel of Ages II, the first 30 days rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s the 4th of July, and time to celebrate the freedoms of my beloved country – the freedoms that allowed us as a small press game company to put our finger in the marketplace and succeed or fail at our passion. Eleven days from now, July 15, was supposed to be our official launch date for Duel of Ages II. But thirty days ago, we accidentally left a webstore link active in our web code being tested, and orders came in less than two minutes later. So, despite a lack of preparation we just opened the store and hung our shingle.

Despite being small press, we did have confidence in the game series, and decided to produce a three-year inventory, including 2,000 of the heavy, pricey, difficult-to-sell Master Set, retailing at $129.99. We hoped to sell half in the first year and the rest over the years.

Now, thirty days from a premature, relatively unadvertised launch, we are 37 games away from selling half of our Master Set inventory.

We deeply appreciate all of you who have adopted Duel of Ages into their gaming life. Your numbers and your love for the game are a source of joy for me, my family, and my gaming crews.

Other tidbits:

We have now sold into 28 countries, allowing us to truly be Worldspanner. As far as we can tell, every man, woman and child in Australia now has a copy of the game (well, Tasmania is being a hold-out).

These sales have come despite the lack of interest in many of the major distributors. We do appreciate GTS Dist. and Peachstate Hobby Dist., who climbed on early and have been partners in our sales success. Thankfully, a surprising number of FLGS stores who are not currently being served are contacting us directly (which did not happen with Duel of Ages version I).

Overseas, we have Brave New World of Germany and Spiral Galaxy Games of Britain distributing the games in their realms. We are also in discussion with three other international distributors.

Tom Vasel of Dice Tower has reviewed the game (see videos), and has decided to throw away his old Version 1 Duel of Ages – the game that sat #1 on his Best Game All Time for five years, and never left his Top 10. And he took a neutral, objective look at version II, which we appreciate greatly.

We’ve sat solidly in the upper tiers of the Hotness list of BoardGameGeek for two weeks now.

We have much to thank you for. And now, it’s time to celebrate Independence Day with smoke bombs and those cool bubbly snakes…

Brett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brett. The work you guys put into DoAII is immediately apparent and you deserve every bit of your current (and future) success. Keep at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett,

This success is well deserved. Congratulations!

You know I've been on board since, basically, day 1, many years ago...
And I'm not alone. By any stretch, obviously.

You have created loyal fans. To your product, your vision and your future endeavors.

Mostly because of your passion for your product. It's obvious and shines through with everything you do here.

You AMAZED your skill test on creating a great product.

Thank you for one of the absolute greats, imo.

I am already fiending hard for expansions.

Sick? Yes...but I'm cool like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was only tangentially aware of the game, but the good reviews and word of mouth have gotten me to make a purchase of both base and master set, which I'm anxiously awaiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Kickstarter and how much people pay for games there have some to do with it.

Also I would be interested in knowing how many games has been sold by you directly vs distributors and retailers.

Personally I have little interest in feeding that part of the chain. Feel free to consider what that means =P

I also think "free collectors edition stuff!" / exclusives has been part of the rush into the whole set - in good and bad.

Please appreciate us early adopters and full set buyers as an equally good resource / partners as the retail chain because we are the ones spreading information, filling the forum, asking questions and deliver answers, show off the game to people, ..

Sure the stores may keep the game on a shelf. We let people play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, guys! You deserve it. You've made a great product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Congratulations Brett. The work you guys put into DoAII is immediately apparent and you deserve every bit of your current (and future) success. Keep at it!
+1 on the amazing work Brett put into communication, consumer support & service and the community.

Him and Jamey Stegmaier obviously know what it takes and what consumer service actually mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brett. A sale of nearly half of your three year projection in such a short timespan has to be a tremendous success. Enjoy the day of celebration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came way too late to the party for the original Duel of Ages, and with all I'd heard and seen of it, it had started to become sort of a gaming grail of mine and I had little hesitation to throw up my order for a complete collector's set. The discounted flat international shipping was a huge boon and an amazing offer given how heavy and pricey the game is.

And the contents are just...wow. The care put into the game seeps through every facet and I'm happy to own a copy. Wish you Worldspanners all the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bryant
United Kingdom
Kettering
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brett - excellent job all round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to derail the thread, but attributing to Kickstarter the cause of some of the success of a game not on Kickstarter is a bit strange.

Congratulations, Brett. It's well deserved. A tremendous game put out by a tremendous group of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please send more master sets to the uk I missed them hitting the shop and they are sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bronfen
Argentina
Bahia Blanca
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brett! Hope you sell out the other half just as fast! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Thank you for being an active part of the community! And I can't wait for expansions and more DoA goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The early launch; the enthusiastic buzz; the exemplary customer care heretofore; the painstaking pre-release play-testing; the quality of the die cuts; the depth and diversity of the artwork; the sheer volume of unique bits and pieces; the flavorful back-stories for each and every character; the pitch-perfect learning curve.

The thrill of the actual game as it's being played.

BRAVO

Hats off to you and your team, Brett.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who's heard about this mythical Duel of Ages for years and years, but hadn't ever seen it in person or in a video, it has been nice to see Tom Vasel and others finally showing what the game looks like and how it plays and why it's so revered. For the first time, I GET it. And I'm intrigued. I'm very much looking forward to finally playing this game...one day.

It'll definitely be a game I have to play a few times before I ever consider plunking down that kind of change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Like Tom Vassel, I don't think I'll be keeping DoAI. DoAII has some really good changes and the production quality is just so much better.

I'm really happy it's done so well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now there is only one thing left to do...

GIVE US MOAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how much replayability is there in the basic set alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I am still eagerly awaiting my sets. Is there any way to get the 4 unique platters without buying the full package deal? I didn't even know about your offer until I had already placed my order with someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:

7 map boards, 48 characters, 98 equipment cards and 72 labyrinth guardians... in a typical two player game you'll use about 3 map boards, 16 characters, 30'ish equipment cards and 20'ish labyrinth guardians total.

You could play the basic set alone quite a few times before having seen it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just means you need to do another print run of 2,000 copies so you'll have some for next year.

All I have is the Basic Set and I will be getting the Master Set within the next two months pending current number of copies in stock and I hope this doesn't go OOP anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Not to derail the thread, but attributing to Kickstarter the cause of some of the success of a game not on Kickstarter is a bit strange.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Maybe I'm just thinking about myself.

But to me I think a game over 600 SEK would be a hard sell. And that's online. I wouldn't buy any game at a LGS because I don't want to pay more than necessary.

However many Kickstarter projects cost 100 or more USD and often shipping here is like 45 USD and then you get VAT and fees on top of that to.

But people seem to be willing to spend that on Kickstarter. And more easily throw money after exclusives.

Whatever it was funded using Kickstarter or not doesn't matter much for me. What matter is of course the price.

I just thought that since so many seem to throw money around them on all sort of Kickstarter projects and the bigger and flashier they are the more money they seem to get .. well..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
For 495 SEK I would assume at least as much as for some other game bought for 495 SEK.

For $33 I think you get lots of gaming content for your money.

Sure the master set don't bring much extra as far as mechanics goes but rather just more or less three times more of the same stuff for two and a half as much more but considering the excellent value the basic set got at $33 I think it's somewhat fair that the master set is pricy.

Personally I much rather buy one large package than many small because many small will likely cost more / content. Now if the large one is just made large to be large that could be argued against

I'd rather get a complete game than something designed to be limited and have expansions at release so to say =P

In case of the DoA basic set I would consider that a full game. Even a very full game. But you can make it totally jammed with content to by getting the master set.

Guess it's somewhat like getting a Summoner wars master set (maybe with two expansions to), you get a bigger set with quite a bit of variation but you CAN get a lot more if you buy everything which is out there. Guess DoA II with master set is like getting everything for summoner wars. A whole bunch of stuff for the people who want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my master set and broke it down for storage. It's obscene how much game I've got now with this set.

Great job, Brett!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.