Subject: Some early playtest images! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few images of my playtest version of Battle of Five Armies.

Enjoy sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy o boy am I ever looking forward to getting my hands on this one devil !!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
come to Daddy !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you're not allowed to post any information as a teaser?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. Images will do for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
And here are some more from a different playtest game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DANIEL GARCIA RIOS
Spain
ALBACETE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board seems too small, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So, without giving away specifics, will the bulk of the rank and file units be the same sculpts from the previous games (which is fine by me, although it would be cool if they came in new colours), with some new characters and eagles; or will it be all new figures for this game?

Will this be a completely stand-alone game, or will there be some elements that could be incorporated into War of the Ring like those from the previous battle games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
So, without giving away specifics, will the bulk of the rank and file units be the same sculpts from the previous games (which is fine by me, although it would be cool if they came in new colours), with some new characters and eagles; or will it be all new figures for this game?

Would save me a little paintwork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
SammySnijbonen wrote:
I suppose you're not allowed to post any information as a teaser?

Veldrin wrote:
Not yet. Images will do for now.

We can get some info from the images, thoughdevil

I can see 4 different bad guy armies, 2 different dwarven armies, 2 different elven armies and 1 human army (but i'm guessing that will be 2 as well)

In 1 picture, there was Elrond, probably standing in for Thranduil.
There was a dwarf character (Thorin?), Gandalf and Bilbo of course.
And (very) apparently: eagles.

I can't wait to see Eagle sculptures! cool
(and hopefully a bear too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:

http://gioconomicon.net/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Molda
France
flag msg tools
What will be the size of the cards ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Anfauglir wrote:

http://gioconomicon.net/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thu...

Yes, I've seen that.
What I actually meant was I can't wait to hold an eagle in my hand and stare at it for hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'm a litle concerned that this will be too scripted, with all units turning up exactly when and where they do in the book, making the game little more than a dice rolling exercise.

Presumably the game begins at the moment Gandalf stops the human and elf armies laying into each other and persuades them to bury their axes in goblin flesh.

But I'd like it if, at least, there is a scenario where the goblins don't turn up and they fight it out for the treasure between them. Winner takes on the Dwarves, hoping to carry the siege before Dain and the boys turn up.

One thing not there from the previous games is the turn track, so maybe the various arrivals are determined by a different method?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From playing it 10 to 12 times. I will tell you there will be plenty of tactical and strategic decisions to be made.

As for the storyline, I don't know if the Elves and Men would ever have came to blows. But, the Dwarves would have taken on anyone who got between them and their gold. Except, perhaps if another Dragon showed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
I'm a litle concerned that this will be too scripted, with all units turning up exactly when and where they do in the book, making the game little more than a dice rolling exercise.

Presumably the game begins at the moment Gandalf stops the human and elf armies laying into each other and persuades them to bury their axes in goblin flesh.

But I'd like it if, at least, there is a scenario where the goblins don't turn up and they fight it out for the treasure between them. Winner takes on the Dwarves, hoping to carry the siege before Dain and the boys turn up.

One thing not there from the previous games is the turn track, so maybe the various arrivals are determined by a different method?

I just don't see Robert doing a game like that at all. I mean one of the things that amazes me about WoTR is that it usually starts off exactly the same, and there are things that usually happen in most games, but it is so different every single time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Presumably the game begins at the moment Gandalf stops the human and elf armies laying into each other and persuades them to bury their axes in goblin flesh

If you think of the scenarios in Battles of the third age it is more likely that the game starts on the morning after Smaug have been defeated.

Then you have a whole lot of "recruting" and assembling of armies before the battle which resembles the scenarios in BotA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My concern is that the "battle" as such only started the moment Gandalf stopped the Human vs Elf battle at the last moment. After that it was largely a big killing match, with the dwarves from the Iron Hill arriving after a set time. I'm interested to see how mare variety has been created, and as I said if the Human vs Elf battle ever does get started; what if Gandalf hadn't tuned up at that moment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think when Gandalf stepped in was after the Dwarves had arrived and things were shaping up for a Human & Elf vs. Dwarves. Presumably to prevent the dwarves from reaching the mountain and becoming fortified. The good guys "reinforcements" as such were in the form of the eagles and Beorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my gosh... Oh. My. Gosh.

Cannot wait to get my Tolkien-loving hands on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.