Subject: How do I keep my Rattler/Cobra on its base? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
(I was going to post this on the page for the unit, but I figured it would get more exposure here...)

I've got it all painted up, but I can't seem to get it to stay on the base. The legs are a little off so nothing seems to rest flat. I've tried gluing the little peg under the toe of the right foot into the hole on the base, along with as much of the foot as I can, but there's so little surface area and the piece is so top heavy, I can't get it to stay glued.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and how you successfully dealt with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rattler/Cobra is not supposed to stand in a flat position, it's meant to be taking a long stride, with one of its feet just lightly touching the ground with its heel. It works all right if you glue the axis of the legs to the main body.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize it's not supposed to stand flat. Part of the problem is that the left light was not fitting right against the stand and was putting upward pressure on the model, preventing the right light from staying glued. I detached the leg and reglued it a little higher up so it fits better, but the right leg still won't stay glued and the model tips.

I'll probably just use the nuclear option and pull out the hot glue gun! Worst case scenario, I can just use the turrets with my Hot Dog/Pounder base. I'm not super crazy about the stretching stance model anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget the hot glue gun.

A single drop of crazy glue in the peg of the feet will hold everything.

A single drop of crazy glue can hold over 100 lbs (as proven by Mythbusters, gotta love those guys), so i don't doubt it can hold the Rattler.

This is what i did for every Dust products that required gluing. The rattler, the KV and every air unit so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Forget the hot glue gun.

A single drop of crazy glue in the peg of the feet will hold everything.

A single drop of crazy glue can hold over 100 lbs (as proven by Mythbusters, gotta love those guys), so i don't doubt it can hold the Rattler.

This is what i did for every Dust products that required gluing. The rattler, the KV and every air unit so far...

Well, I'll be damned. It actually worked! Funny that hobby/plastic glue didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
The rattler, the KV and every air unit so far...

Unfortunately, I found with the air units, that while the glue may hold, the pegs won't necessarily hold. Had my Pelican's stand break off. Ended up just completely breaking off the pegs, sanding the bottom of the stand flat, and then gluing the whole surface. That worked much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
deedob wrote:
The rattler, the KV and every air unit so far...

Unfortunately, I found with the air units, that while the glue may hold, the pegs won't necessarily hold. Had my Pelican's stand break off. Ended up just completely breaking off the pegs, sanding the bottom of the stand flat, and then gluing the whole surface. That worked much better.

With my own air units, the two pegs that go into the base were not 100% aligned with the actual holes in the base. I broke two of those pegs on two different models just trying to make the pegs enter their holes.

So yeah, i put two drops of crazy glue on the surface of the base and put the flight support on it. Didn't require sanding.

I also had a problem with the bombs and guns of the SSU attack heli. They kept falling due to gravity. I don't tinker my models enough to put tiny magnets on everything... so when i painted the model, i added about 5 layers of paint on the part of the bombs/guns that is inserted in the heli. The paint being sticky-er than the plastic and thicker, the guns and bombs now hold perfectly still during gameplay, can be removed and placed back no problems.

The only model so far i've encountered that required real tinkering is the rattler/cobra for it's amphibious propellers. There's no easy way to make them stick and be removable without toying with magnets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a somewhat similar issue with the Pelican, in that where the stand enters the plane, it was really wobbily. When I painted the plane, and was varnishing it, I just put extra thick layers of varnish into the hole, and now it fits nice and snug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.