Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Hawthorne
United Kingdom
Colchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I have recently had a situation where I needed three successes in a combat check and had no clue tokens to spend should I fail but my character had the marksmanship skill which allows a re-roll.

If I had needed to re roll and had got say 1 success from the first roll is that success cumulative or does this mean I just get a second attempt at the roll.

Also I understand the rules regarding using clue token's and that their successes are carried over, and that all dice are allowed to be re rolled that were used prior to the re roll attempt, but are only the failed dice re rolled or all the dice including the successes used.

Sorry but it's been a long day at the office and I don't have the brain power left to word this better goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
If all you had was, lets say, two dice, you can never get three successes without clue tokens. Rerolls do not grant additional successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two different things here:
1) Clues give extra dice
2) Re-rolls allow... errrr... re-rolls

If you fail a Skill Check and have Clue tokens you can use them to buy one extra dice per Clue to add to the Skill Check (two extra dice if you have a relevant Skill, three if you have two such Skills). These dice can be acquired and added to the Skill Check roll at any time (though most people add them one at a time after the normal roll fails).

If you fail a Skill Check and have a re-roll ability then you re-roll all the dice involved in the Skill Check - including any that were added through the use of Clue tokens

IIRC there are (or possibly only "is") abilities that allow the re-roll of the failed dice only, but that is clearly stated in the description of the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hawthorne
United Kingdom
Colchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Mccrispy

Thanks for the reply, so is it right that successes that are gained due to a skill check are kept over during a re roll or is the re roll just another attempt at the roll starting over from scratch.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned clue tokens because I understand the rules for this completely it's just the re roll that I'm unsure of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
If you fail a Skill Check and have a re-roll ability then you re-roll all the dice involved in the Skill Check - including any that were added through the use of Clue tokens.

And to be clear, when you re-roll all dice, you do not count the successes you got on the previous roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hawthorne
United Kingdom
Colchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Austin,

You do not count the successful dice in the re roll? or you do not count the successes over for the re roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A re-roll is considered a completely new roll. You get all the dice you used before (including ones bought with clues), no successes. The first roll is completely negated.

Except for Mandy's re-roll, as MCCrispy said, which allows you to re-roll all failed dice and keep your successes from the first roll (Which is the reason why she is such an awesome character ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hawthorne
United Kingdom
Colchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that Austin, I'm new to Arkham but really like it I've just got Miskatonic left to get now to complete.

Currently reading H P Lovecraft's works to get as much a feel for the game as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He has some great stories, I think "The Call of Cthulhu" in particular is a very big inspiration for Arkham Horror. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcibiades1973 wrote:
Thanks for that Austin, I'm new to Arkham but really like it I've just got Miskatonic left to get now to complete.

Currently reading H P Lovecraft's works to get as much a feel for the game as I can.

anoitrou confirms the point that I was making. So I guess that I'm confirming anoitrou's confirmation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.