GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,725 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Best book on the north african campaign in wwii rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
I am looking for a book covering the north african campaign in wwii.

I have a few but none that deals with the whole campaign on this theatre :

- Tank Combat in North Africa: The Opening Rounds : Operations Sonnenblume, Brevity, Skorpion and Battleaxe February 1941-June 1941 by Thomas Jentz.

- Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck.

- Panzer Battles by Mellenthin.

And I have read some of the commonwealth official history books available online.

I suppose I should get the Rommel papers by Liddel Hart, but I have read his book on Alexander the Great and found it very disappointing. Besides I am looking for something that also describes the part before Rommel got sent to Africa and this is where most books start. Not terribly interested by the end of the campaign and Tunisia though.

Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barrie Pitt's trilogy is very readable, and volume 1, The crucible of war covers the early months of the war well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:

Any recommendations?

Barrie Pitt - Crucible of War

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=crucible+of+war+...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I like this one:

which also covers east Africa, too, and of course Barnett's Desert Generals:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/War-Without-Hate-Campaign-1940-43/dp/0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a critical history that looks beyond the battlefields and talks about the logistical handicaps and political elements as well, something that is anything but hagiographic in its treatment of the Desert Fox, I would strongly suggest Martin Kitchen's book:

For a ripping good read, I'd recommend Moorhead's "Desert War: The North Africa Campaigns, 1940-43." Moorhead was an Australian war correspondent on the spot, and his account really puts you "there," as it were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I really enjoyed this very old but very well written book called The Battle for North Africa, by John Strawson. No pictures. Just an excellent and engaging effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good choices. Also THE CAMPAIGN FOR NORTH AFRICA Jack Coggins. Great maps!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
If you want a critical history that looks beyond the battlefields and talks about the logistical handicaps and political elements as well, something that is anything but hagiographic in its treatment of the Desert Fox, I would strongly suggest Martin Kitchen's book:

For a ripping good read, I'd recommend Moorhead's "Desert War: The North Africa Campaigns, 1940-43." Moorhead was an Australian war correspondent on the spot, and his account really puts you "there," as it were.

I found Kitchen's book ok but quickly got over his constantly pointing out how ordinary Rommel really was. I get what he was trying to say, just felt he bludgeoned me to death with his view.
+1 to the Moorshead recommendation.
+1 the Pitt recommendation.
The various participants official histories are good as well. I know I'm probably biased but the Australian ones are great.
They can be found here: http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/second_world_war/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
petegs wrote:

The various participants official histories are good as well. I know I'm probably biased but the Australian ones are great.
They can be found here: http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/second_world_war/

Yes this is the one I read, well the first volumes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
DiamondSylph wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmb
LOL. That`s how I read it too :shake:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw Gordon Ramsey and Hell's Kitchen, I want Rommel Desert Martin War Kitchen now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a great uncle who went on the North African campaign. He had a battered copy of Ben Hur that he read constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also "Adolf Hitler: My part in His Downfall" and it's sequels by Spike Milligan.
A tad light on the big picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:

I have a few but none that deals with the whole campaign on this theatre :

- Tank Combat in North Africa: The Opening Rounds : Operations Sonnenblume, Brevity, Skorpion and Battleaxe February 1941-June 1941 by Thomas Jentz.

- Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck.

- Panzer Battles by Mellenthin.

And I have read some of the commonwealth official history books available online.

I suppose I should get the Rommel papers by Liddel Hart, but I have read his book on Alexander the Great and found it very disappointing. Besides I am looking for something that also describes the part before Rommel got sent to Africa and this is where most books start. Not terribly interested by the end of the campaign and Tunisia though.

Any recommendations?

Olivier,

I would warmly recommend Rommel's Papers. The intro from Liddel Hart is not the main part of this book. What is really incredible about the Rommel Papers is that it is his diary dictated every night to his assistant. So it is written "live" without the benefit of hindsight. So when it was written, Rommel did not know what was going to happen next. It is like following him live through his career - the main focus being Africa.

It's one of the best military history books I have ever read.

As a side note, Panzer Commander is also an excellent book! More personal view of the war.

Right now I am reading Guderian's Panzer Leader which is pretty amazing too although a little colder than the Rommel Papers perhaps.

Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Thanks, I ended up buying the war kitchen book but I might get Rommel's papers later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
mbmb
Sorry I am late to the thread here, but I really like this book on the subject:

It contains many hand-drawn maps on specific parts of certain battles. Terrific book. A well deserved 5 star rating at Amazon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rick Atkinson's An Army At Dawn is probably my favorite piece of narrative history.

Obviously it doesn't meet the "whole theatre" criteria of the OP, but it is such a phenomenal book on the subject that I feel it bears mentioning. Read it and supplement with the stuff on Monty and Rommel in 1940-42!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:
Rick Atkinson's An Army At Dawn is probably my favorite piece of narrative history.

Obviously it doesn't meet the "whole theatre" criteria of the OP, but it is such a phenomenal book on the subject that I feel it bears mentioning. Read it and supplement with the stuff on Monty and Rommel in 1940-42!

That was an amazing book indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Atkinson's third book, The Guns at Last Light, is equally good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank brets
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I have this paperback, has to be 20 years old... I think it was called The Desert War" I'll try and find it.. Best book I ever read, it was told from three side, You had the author, than you had accounts from both the German and British soldiers that served in the War.. I was amazed that the British and Germans figured out they could off tune their radios and talk to each other, and they traded with each other... Laugh, the german's would drink the water and piss in the radiators, unfortunately no one told the Italians not to drink the water in the radiators.....

Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Alamein: Turning Point, World War II

by John Bierman, Colin Smith

I am currently reading this one and I am enjoying it albeit it obviously doesn't cover the whole Africa campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbrets0922 wrote:
I have this paperback, has to be 20 years old... I think it was called The Desert War" I'll try and find it.. Best book I ever read, it was told from three side, You had the author, than you had accounts from both the German and British soldiers that served in the War.. I was amazed that the British and Germans figured out they could off tune their radios and talk to each other, and they traded with each other... Laugh, the german's would drink the water and piss in the radiators, unfortunately no one told the Italians not to drink the water in the radiators.....

Frank

Maybe this one:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/459798.Desert_War

Awesome book!

PS Great topic - I think everyone here wishes he/she had time to read them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.