BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: ZOMBIE DICE vs MARTIAN DICE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LUCEOID
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
So I'm trying to work out which one I should get and it seems to be a tough choice.

Both themes are good.

Zombie Dice has slightly nicer dice, but both sets are pretty top notch.

I've heard that Martian Dice has more interesting decisions, but also that this makes it lose some punch.

Your thoughts please please please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice - hands down! Martian Dice adds a layer of (albeit minor) complexity that I don’t think makes the game any better. Zombie Dice is nice and simple, and gives players some choice. But having great choices isn’t the purpose of these games. These are push-your-luck games. The only choice that matters is to continue rolling or pass your turn. Zombie Dice - simple, easy, fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Zombie Dice is the first and best of the series which now continues its downward trend with Dino Hunt Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
herbeey87 wrote:

I haven't noticed any difference in dice quality.
Quote:

I've heard that Martian Dice has more interesting decisions

It does.

Quote:
...but also that this makes it lose some punch.

It really doesn't. It makes it a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:
herbeey87 wrote:

I haven't noticed any difference in dice quality.
Quote:

I've heard that Martian Dice has more interesting decisions

It does.

Quote:
...but also that this makes it lose some punch.

It really doesn't. It makes it a better game.

+1.

I prefer Martian Dice over Zombie Dice. Zombie dice is basically roll and hope you don't get blasted. Martian dice requires you to think what would be the best item to keep based on tanks, rays, and # of dice you would have left.

And Dino Dice is preferred over Zombie dice (though basically they are the same game with different symbols) because I think you can play Dino Dice with kids, where Zombie Dice may be inappropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never played Martian dice. I will say that the zombie dice expansion absolutely adds interesting decisions and is worth it. I've never played the base game alone. I also don't know how Martian dice compares but I do know that most who say MD is better don't factor in the expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Never played Martian dice. I will say that the zombie dice expansion absolutely adds interesting decisions and is worth it. I've never played the base game alone. I also don't know how Martian dice compares but I do know that most who say MD is better don't factor in the expansion

I'll admit I didn't know there was an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Boissonneault
Canada
flag msg tools
Well the basic vanilla zombie dice is sooo easy to teach and plays fast enough to be able to have a conversation at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. I own Martian Dice because I think it's a better game. With ZD, the only choices are - Keep rolling, or stop rolling. There's also a certain extra luck element due to the dice that you draw.

With MD, you have choices to make as to which icons to collect - Death rays to protect yourself against tanks? Take the 4 chickens now? Or will taking 2 cows give you a better chance of collecting a full set and getting bonus points?

Both are super simple games and if you can't grasp the rules in under 2 minutes, there's something very very wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own zombie dice, martian dice and dino hunt dice. The latter has smaller dice that aren't quite as nice quality, but zombie and martian are on a par. I also have the zombie dice expansion.

I like martian and zombie dice about equally. Yes, martian dice offers more decisions, but I don't think that necessarily makes it more fun. They are both very light games, either way.

The push-your-luck mechanic is stronger in zombie dice. In martian dice it's easy to run out of dice without dieing, as long as you're cautious, but in zombie dice you almost always lose your turn before the dice run out - in fact I've only once seen someone run out of dice in zombie dice, whereas quitting before the last die in martian dice is unusual, at least amongst the people I play with.

With more than two players, downtime between turns becomes something of a problem in both games but more so in martian dice.

Overall, I guess I'd be slightly more likely to recommend zombie dice, but only by a narrow margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Martian Dice

Zombie Dice is just too simple...basically no decisions. And honestly, it's more enjoyable to roll a whole handful of dice. I will note that I play with small variant w/Martian Dice that increases the PYL factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote both.

I prefer Martian Dice, a little, I think. But they're both fun with the right crowd. And the right liquid refreshments doesn't hurt none neither. And they're pretty cheap. I throw both in the same can for a quick and easy travel game set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SimonSes wrote:
whereas quitting before the last die in martian dice is unusual, at least amongst the people I play with.

Across the ditch several of my friends are more than prepared to stop rolling, especially once a score gets into the high teens or twenties, to ensure scoring that round. So writing, sometimes in the end game we won't stop rolling and score unless we get one of each earthling because we refuse to win unless we win with glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
And Dino Dice is preferred over Zombie dice (though basically they are the same game with different symbols) because I think you can play Dino Dice with kids, where Zombie Dice may be inappropriate.

I disagree that zombie dice is inappropriate for kids, unless you are also somehow ensuring that the kids in question don't watch any tv, movies, listen to the radio, read any books, or play any video games without your equally careful vetting. They're dice. A quick 'these are pictures of your zombie being shot, they are not actual guns' should suffice for most kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Martian Dice by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and in groups I play with Martian Dice tends to drag on.

I enjoy narrative in games and to me Zombie Dice just hits that spot for me. Especially with the expansion.

I wanted to gift Martian Dice away, but my wife wanted to keep it as she felt it deserved a spot in our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had zombie dice, I would recommend Trophy Buck personally if you want a quick dice game like the two you proposed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both base games but not the expansion for zombie dice I would say I prefer martian dice. I felt there was more of a game there. I do agree with the statement that zombie dice tells more of a story though with the right group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Dann
Germany
Mannheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Martian Dice over Zombie Dice, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do either of these games play like Chupacabra: Survive the Night?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played both own both keep both but would urge martian over zombies any day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Soto
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Card sleeves? We don't need no stinkin' card sleeves!
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PK1988 wrote:
I've had zombie dice, I would recommend Trophy Buck personally if you want a quick dice game like the two you proposed

Yeah, I actually prefer Trophy Buck also. It is Zombie dice re-themed but adds a few minor changes that step it up a notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dino Hunt Dice

Or go a little further and pick up Hunters of Arcfall. You can actually play Martian Dice with the dice in Hunters of Arcfall, it's just a weird, jarring, fit- but the dispersion of faces and dice are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.