Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone aware of a game like that for WWI?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Trenchzone once a long time ago and as I recall it sort of has the Memoir 44 idea of dividing the battlefield into three parts and playing cards to advance your men across No Man's Land.

Another one I enjoyed is Trenches of Valor from Victory Point Games, an easy 30 minute game that has a good set of trench raid scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Red Poppies: WWI Tactics.

Right scale but I don't know it's complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make for a pretty interesting project to convert a game like Tide of Iron for WWI.
I'm not too big on WWI history but I imagine that WWII is a lot easier to do and, perhaps more importantly, get people interested in. I would imagine that not many could name Kaiser Wilhelm but most know of Hitler, and that not many could name a tank model from WWI (I know I can't) but quite a few know what a Tiger and a Sherman is. Advancement in technology and warfare tactics as well as 60 years of constant reminding embedding itself in the shared conscience simply makes WWII the more popular choice because you can have simple variety (many different tanks as well as paratroopers) and everyone can relate to it.

That's not to say that WWI wouldn't make a good game though. But maybe one would have to approach it a different way by including other elements of strategic worth, like airplanes. I do know some have used the TOI boards for Wings of Glory.

Anyway. The idea caught my mind there for a minute and derailed me a bit. Unfortunately I don't know of any good WWI games. Doing a bit of searching though there seems to be a few games that might fit the bill but the one that really caught my interest was a thread on this very board where user
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
seems to have made a very good effort at converting Memoir '44 to WWI. Please see the thread Saint-Mihiel 1918

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dire Heroes: Gas Attack at Ypres uses Memoir components, but the mechanics are different than Commands & Colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Dire Heroes: Gas Attack at Ypres uses Memoir components, but the mechanics are different than Commands & Colors.

Looks interesting. For $5.00 I went ahead and bought it. Thanks for mentioning it, I had never heard of it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.