Popular Tags: [View All]
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing 1870 Short game for the first time.
But I think these questions would be the same for any of the 18XX games.

Can you place a tile that dead ends into another tile? You might want to do this, and then the next turn upgrade the one you dead-ended to so that they connect.

How do Y tiles work
X Y
. |
. |
. |
.|
|
|
|
Z

Can a train travel X and then back up Y on it's route? Or just X->Z and Y->z?

Just to make sure:
There is not track ownership, so anyone can use any track regardless of previous company train runs on that track, correct?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you can have a tile run into another tile even if an upgrade is possible or not. you can not have a track runn offboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More Questions 1870
I have gone through the FAQ, and read through the rulebook, and played the start of a game, but still would like following clarifications:

1. When building Track and Stations you need have a route to the new piece of track or station. Must you reach the new station or track with your current train even if you could with a better train?
Example: I have the following track:
Dallas -> Fort Worth -> Austin -> Houston
I only have a station in Dallas and a three train. Can I build a station in Houston? Would the track build of been illegal because I did not have a good enough train to build it?

2. If I was president of two companies, could both companies operate their trains on the same routes. I assume you can since there is no mechanism to keep track of this, but just wanted to make sure.
Example: There is track in between Dallas and Fort Worth. Company A has a station in Dallas. Company B has a station in Fort Worth. Can both companies operate their 2 trains on this route during their operating turns?

3. Turn Order. The instructions say that turn order is based on Share Value. What if two companies have the same share value but on different Stock Market boxes?

4. I would like to confirm that it is perfectly legal to buy stock in a public company and then sell it in the same round. Essentially using cash flow to lower the value? I know the president of the company would have the option to protect.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Addition:
Can a company or player purchase stock directly from another player?
Not in rules, so I assume no.
Example Player "A" buys one share of T&P from player "B"

Is a "force sell" the only time a player can give money to a company .

The following are the only ways I can see that money exchages between a player and a company:
Selling Private Company
Redeming Shares
Force Selling when a company does not have a train.

Thank You!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
I have gone through the FAQ, and read through the rulebook, and played the start of a game, but still would like following clarifications:

1. When building Track and Stations you need have a route to the new piece of track or station. Must you reach the new station or track with your current train even if you could with a better train?

No. Sometimes you do not even have a train and your company still builds track.
dturnerfish wrote:

Example: I have the following track:
Dallas -> Fort Worth -> Austin -> Houston
I only have a station in Dallas and a three train. Can I build a station in Houston?

Yes. If you had a station in Dallas and had track that went through 6 cities (that are not blocked by others tokens) up to St.Louis you could put a staion is St.Louis.

dturnerfish wrote:
Would the track build of been illegal because I did not have a good enough train to build it?

No.
dturnerfish wrote:

2. If I was president of two companies, could both companies operate their trains on the same routes. I assume you can since there is no mechanism to keep track of this, but just wanted to make sure.
Example: There is track in between Dallas and Fort Worth. Company A has a station in Dallas. Company B has a station in Fort Worth. Can both companies operate their 2 trains on this route during their operating turns?

Yes.

dturnerfish wrote:
3. Turn Order. The instructions say that turn order is based on Share Value. What if two companies have the same share value but on different Stock Market boxes?

The one farther to the right goes first.

dturnerfish wrote:
4. I would like to confirm that it is perfectly legal to buy stock in a public company and then sell it in the same round. Essentially using cash flow to lower the value? I know the president of the company would have the option to protect.

Yes this is legal, but not on the first turn.

Thanks You!!

[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: moving money between player and company:

You can move money OUT of a company and into your hand by buying privates or redeeming shares.

There is no way to move money IN to a company from your hand. When a company has no train, and is forced to go into Emergency Money Raising, the procedure is as follows:

1) Take all the money out of the company and put it into your hand.
2) If the total amount of money in your hand is not enough to buy a train, start selling shares until you have more money than the cheapest train available from the Bank or the Pool.
3) Buy said train with money from your hand, place in company.

Note that:
The company ends EMR with $0 in it.
Your hand, should you be forced to sell shares, should have less money in it than the last share sold was worth*.
If you can't raise enough money to buy the train, you're bankrupt.

You may sell shares one at-a-time, reducing the value between each sale, if you are trying to go bankrupt, or you may sell all the shares of a company at once for maximum returns.

--------------------

In some other games there are ways to move money around. Also note that in 1830 the rules for laying track are slightly different (you must have a run to either the existing or the new track). In all games, the rules for laying track and stations are independent of the length of train you own.

Answering the question you made in your first post: I'm not entirely clear on which tile you mean with X and Y, so I'll try to be general. You may cross each hex-side exactly once with each company (this is equivilant to the reusing track rule).
Each train's run must be a single linear connection (no branches).
You may not reverse at a junction (e.g., on tile 23 you may go either along the straight track or the curved track, but not both).

I think everything else you asked was answered by other posters. If you have further questions, ask away.
--
* -- some people play that you must have less money in your hand than the cheapest share was sold was worth. This is a point of controversy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dturnerfish wrote:
Can you place a tile that dead ends into another tile? You might want to do this, and then the next turn upgrade the one you dead-ended to so that they connect.

Ues, you might want to do this for the above reason, to block a connection for a competitor's company or for any of several other reasons.

Quote:
How do Y tiles work
X Y
. |
. |
. |
.|
|
|
|
Z

Can a train travel X and then back up Y on it's route?

No.

Quote:
Or just X->Z and Y->z?

Yes. Track is one-directional and can only be travelled once.

Quote:
There is not track ownership, so anyone can use any track regardless of previous company train runs on that track, correct?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dturnerfish wrote:

Not in 1870. Other 18XX, like 18C2C allow this in very specific and limited cases.

Quote:
The following are the only ways I can see that money exchages between a player and a company:
Selling Private Company
Redeming Shares
Force Selling when a company does not have a train.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
dturnerfish wrote:

Not in 1870. Other 18XX, like 18C2C allow this in very specific and limited cases.

I'm confused. My rules state that a company can redeem shares from any player if no shares are available on the open market. Isn't that buying from another player? Is this another mistake in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
I'm confused. My rules state that a company can redeem shares from any player if no shares are available on the open market. Isn't that buying from another player?

You're correct.
But this a a case that happens very rarely - i think i've seen it once, but i'm not sure if it really was in 1870 or in another game.
So i assume most people simply forgot about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.