Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.

Played my first game and still a little confused about how abilities work on character cards and I have a few other questions as follows:

1) Since there are only 3 tokens for drained domains does that mean the maximum amount of Domains that be drained per turn is 3?

2) Can an ability on a character card be used at any time an action can be played if it applies? Even if the character is exhausted?

For example in the core set the Clover Club Torch Singer

Her action is to give someone -2 skill for a phase. Do I just trigger that? and Say I am doing it? Or do I have to exhaust her to use that action?

Or how about PATSY. Sacrifice him to drain exactly two tokens from a story. I dont have to pay for that I just trigger it? I guess I am having a hard time understanding when you can trigger an action on a character and if you have to pay or exhaust or how its used

3) When it says to "pay 1" to do something does that drain a whole domain? Also does the color matter?

4) When it says I can sacrifice someone as an ability can I do that whenever I want? I just kill them off and apply the effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
1) Since there are only 3 tokens for drained domains does that mean the maximum amount of Domains that be drained per turn is 3?

There is no limit. You start the game with three domains, but it's possible to gain more domains, and also possible to refresh a domain so that you could use it more than once. If you run out of tokens, you can just use pennies, glass beads, or whatever else you have around to mark whether a domain is drained.

BattleZone wrote:
2) Can an ability on a character card be used at any time an action can be played if it applies? Even if the character is exhausted?

Yes. As long as you can pay the cost of the ability, you can use it during any action window. So, it does not matter that the character is exhausted unless exhausting is the cost that you would need to pay.

BattleZone wrote:
For example in the core set the Clover Club Torch Singer. Her action is to give someone -2 skill for a phase. Do I just trigger that? and Say I am doing it? Or do I have to exhaust her to use that action?

You just declare that you're using her ability, pay the cost, and it happens. Note that you can use an ability multiple times if you can pay for it, so if you have several domains to spend you can lower someone's skill even more.

BattleZone wrote:
Or how about PATSY. Sacrifice him to drain exactly two tokens from a story. I dont have to pay for that I just trigger it? I guess I am having a hard time understanding when you can trigger an action on a character and if you have to pay or exhaust or how its used

Same deal - you just declare that you want to do it during any action window, pay the cost (which in this case is sacrificing Patsy), and it happens.

BattleZone wrote:
3) When it says to "pay 1" to do something does that drain a whole domain? Also does the color matter?

Pay X means: Drain a domain with at least X resources. So yes, it does drain the whole domain. The color does not matter unless the card says so - and it's very rare that it does. For instance, the new Professor Nathaniel Peaslee card specifically says you have to drain a domain that includes a Yog resource.

BattleZone wrote:
4) When it says I can sacrifice someone as an ability can I do that whenever I want? I just kill them off and apply the effect?

You can do it during any action windows which is basically about any time except while stories are resolving. Once you start resolving any story, the action window is closed until all stories finish resolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks. I did not know that actions could be spammed that much. Not that I ever have enough resources!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In actual practice, they usually aren't because of the costs. Most things cost something that you don't have in abundance - drain a domain, exhaust the card, discard a card from your hand, etc... So, while there is no theoretical limit on how many times you could do it you quickly run into a practical one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.