Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Good. Item seven. The had had and that that problem. Lady Cavendish, weren't you working on this?"

Lady Cavendish stood up and gathered her thoughts.

"Indeed. The use of had had and that that has to be strictly controlled; they can interrupt the ImaginoTransference quite dramatically, causing readers to go back over the sentence in confusion, something we try to avoid."

"Go on."

"It's mostly an unlicensed usage problem. At the last count David Copperfield alone had had had had sixty-three times, all but ten unapproved. Pilgrim's Progress may also be a problem owing to its had had / that that ratio."

"So what's the problem in Progress?"

"That that had that that ten times but had had had had only thrice. Increased had had usage had had to be considered but not if the number exceeds that that that usage."

"Hmm," said the Bellman. "I thought had had had had TGC's approval for use in Dickens? What's the problem?"

"Take the first had had and that that in the book by way of example," explained Lady Cavendish. "You would have thought that that first had had had had good occasion to be seen as had, had you not? Had had had approval but had had had not; equally it is true to say that that that that had had approval but that that other that that had not."

"So the problem with that other that that was that—?"

"That that other-other that that had had approval."

"Okay," said the Bellman, whose head was in danger of falling apart like a chocolate orange, "let me get this straight: David Copperfield, unlike Pilgrim's Progress, which had had had, had had had had. Had had had had TGC's approval?"

There was a very long pause.

"Right," said the Bellman with a sigh.

—Jasper Fforde, The Well of Lost Plots, pp. 256-257 (paperback)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
A puzzle I saw years ago was to punctuate this sequence of words:

John while James had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Solution:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
John, while James had had "had," had had "had had." "Had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

I'm pretty sure that other solutions would work also, depending on how liberal you want to be with your quotes. But this one works fairly nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Buffalo bison who Buffalo bison bully also bully Buffalo bison.

PS: Thanks for the Jasper Fforde excerpt. Love that series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malkovich? Malkovich

The fun starts at 59 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater, v-neck sweater

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
So, Jasper Fforde is now on my "Must Read" list, thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you like fish fish fish fish fish fish too for that reason.

If you like fish, fish fish. Fish fish fish too for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
Buffalo bison whom Buffalo bison bully also bully Buffalo bison.

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When he painted the name of the pub he left too much space between Pig and And and And and Whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
If you like fish fish fish fish fish fish too for that reason.

If you like fish, fish fish. Fish fish fish too for that reason.

What if, like, you, like fish, like fish?

Love the Tuesday Next books. I'm ready for #4, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an old one here about the man painting the pub sign at the Pig aand Whistle pub. He had to make sure he left enough space between the 'Pig' and 'and' and 'and' and Whistle.

If you do type that joke out, make sure you put just one space between the "'Pig'" and "and" and "and" and "'and'" and "'and'" and "and" and "and" and "'and'" and "'and'" and "and" and "and" and "Whistle"

That's 1, 5, 21, how many ands in the next evolution?

One of my grandfather's (second posting in a row I've referred to him) was to use "with abandon" three times in a row. But two were "with a band on". It wasn't a written joke. (A man was smoking a cigar with a band on, with a band on, with abandon. The middle one probably has trumpets.)

But you're spared some of his, as they work even worse in print. But I'd like to hear them again (30 years too late). I'll just leave you with

Where was Moses when the lights went out?

In the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
When he painted the name of the pub he left too much space between Pig and And and And and Whistle.

I wrote mine before you posted. But notice that we used the same pub name, despite that there are many X and Y pubs. (The Elephant and Castle is a good one. Or The Eagle and Child.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
boltongeordie wrote:

I wrote mine before you posted. But notice that we used the same pub name, despite that there are many X and Y pubs. (The Elephant and Castle is a good one. Or The Eagle and Child.)
it is an old example, but do you really sit on your posts for over 3 hours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
boltongeordie wrote:

It has been known, either when distracted by something else or when thinking about it. But probably not in this case, and definitely not for the latter reason. OK, didn't see your post before writing mine, but incorrectly thought I'd seen all the posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
boltongeordie wrote:

He must have gotten thirsty whilst writing it and popped out to the pub before he finished it. Damn! It's the malt vinegar and chips episode all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevesArmy wrote:
boltongeordie wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
boltongeordie wrote:

He must have gotten thirsty whilst writing it and popped out to the pub before he finished it. Damn! It's the malt vinegar and chips episode all over again.

Sorry for the late post, he had already replied with his explanation, but I just had to drop everything for a quick one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
A puzzle I saw years ago was to punctuate this sequence of words:

John while James had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Solution:
John, while James had had "had," had had "had had." "Had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

I'm pretty sure that other solutions would work also, depending on how liberal you want to be with your quotes. But this one works fairly nicely.

I had had a headache, but now I have a 'had had' migraine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevesArmy wrote:
Sorry for the late post, he had already replied with his explanation, but I just had to drop everything for a quick one!

Sorry, I don't thumb posts (at least not for that reason), but you'd get one if I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, my English text book from 1980 (a Scottish private school) uses "Coach and Horses" rather than the other "Something and Something" pub names. Which goes to prove nothing at all, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
StevesArmy wrote:

Sorry, I don't thumb posts (at least not for that reason), but you'd get one if I did.

I like a man who sticks to his principles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.