Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything VS. Everything: Maximum Copyright Infringement Edition
Designed for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Story

The horizon looms. Beyond it lies an unspeakable evil. A malevolent force seeking the destruction of everything. He bends wills. He corrupts. He is the director. All will succumb to his darkness. Already,
he has bewitched the minds of a powerful few. Now they have fallen under his powerful spell. He will be unstoppable!!!

You and you alone are the one force that can stand against him. You are the master strategist. Your battle skills and master planning have taken years to perfect. Allies have rushed to your side, willing to
fight and die for your cause!

However, you have only a few resources. This does not bode well. To prevail against this monstrosity would take an army. It would take a legion. It would take EVERYTHING!!!!!

Introduction

Have you ever wanted to see what would happen if Darth Vader and the Terminator had a battle to the death? What about Megaman vs Sonic the Hedgehog? Well, your glory days are finally here! Come and experience the glory days of print and play in a game that would be so expensive to produce that Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight Games would keel over and go bankrupt trying to get this game to make money. This game stole IP`s from as many sources as possible to bring you THE ultimate grudge match. Hurry up and try it before every lawyer this side of New York City drops a C and D letter so large, it would crush the empire state building.

Oh ... and just in case you are the IP holder of one of the licenses of this game: This is a fan made game that thinks your IP is awesome. I will never make profit off of this game. I will never charge money for this game. It is intended to be a parody/fan project. If you still want to me to remove your awesome IP and deprive the 4 people who will actually print this game of their enjoyment, then I will do so. And if you are an artist who drew one of the awesome pictures in this game and I have not given sufficient credit to you for it, may I remind you that you likely stole the IP yourself and probably didn`t get permission for it. Go sue Google because they were the ones who alerted me to your awesome image ... and they have WAY more money than I do. Or you could just ask me to steal an image from someone else.

Information So Far

The purpose of this game is to create a solitaire Magic the Gathering type game that has deck construction and card drafting. This was not acheived as the game really doesn't play like Magic the Gathering that much. Instead it plays like a simplified war game that has units on the field that are maneuvering and attacking each other. The units are powered by special abilities, and it is up to you to prioritize how and when to use those abilities.

So far the game is fairly deep and takes about 60 minutes to play. There will also be 2 player rules in the game. It is meant to be a game in which your solitaire experience will improve your play with two players which will in turn improve your solitaire ability.

Update:

The beta files are ready!!! I now consider this game to be contest ready. There will likely be changes based on other player feedback. These changes will not be implemented until after the contest.

Beautiful Version !!!

Low Ink Version

Final rule set including the future expansion rules.

Alpha Rules (i.e. The long version of the game)

The Director Cards

Instructions to use The Director cards (now in the current ruleset:

1) During the set-up, create a pile of 6 cards. The pile should contain 4 No effect Director cards and 2 random other cards. Shuffle these cards and place them face down. To make the game harder, use 3 no effect cards and 3 bad event cards.

2) During the 3rd to 8th turn, flip over one Director card after revealing any character cards. Execute the effects of whatever is on the card.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Everything vs. Everything: Maximum Copyright Infringement Edition - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (concept phase)
And the Vassal module is finally here!

Beta Vassal Module for Everything Vs. Everything

The vassal module also includes the first set of revised cards for the following characters:

1) Chun-Li
2) Sam and Max
3) Ratchet and Clank
4) Optimus Prime
5) Dracula
6) Cyclops

It also has a second set of revised cards for these characters.

1) Mario
2) LeChuck
3) Samus Aran
4) Tetsuo
5) Mr. Driller
6) Watson
7) Ratchet and Clank (yes, again. Sigh.)

And now it contains a third set of revised cards.

1)Mario (again)
2)Chun-li (again)
3)LeChuck (again)
4)Mr. Driller (again)
5)Dr. Octapus
6)Warp Core
7)Kratos
8)Spiderman

(and surprisingly Ratchet and Clank was not cut or changed. It's a miracle!!!!)

This along with the latest update to the cards brings me to the point where I am calling this game contest ready! There are probably changes that I would make to the game if I had more feedback. But as far as I can tell, the game should be stable and what I wanted it to be at this point.

All changes to the game will be made after the contest at this point. I will however still try to finish a character FAQ to clarify how to play certain cards. It will be created as I receive feedback.

Thank you very much
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb

Your playtest found a lot of errors and imbalances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Everything vs. Everything: Maximum Copyright Infringement Edition - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (concept phase)
These are the images used in the vassal module to help learn how to use the vassal module:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Japan
Fujisawa
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
INCONCEIVABLE ! laugh

Seriously, awesome idea !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Decipher beat you to it. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for official FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Can't seem to find decipher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
radchad wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Can't seem to find decipher.

It's usually near de one or de nine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

You're referring to:
Fight Klub

vs
vs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Though did it ever get anywhere?

And Animayhem beat Fight Klub.

Were the Marvel and DC Overpowers compatible?

And technically Fuzzy Heroes is everything vs everything (toys) Since you can take any toy, plush, mini, or action figure and pit them against eachother. Same for VLC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at Fight Klub. I guess it may be similar to my game from a concept standpoint, I don't think it will be quite the same from a mechanical standpoint.

The reviews seem to say that fight club take about 15 minutes to play and don't really offer much depth from a construction standpoint. My game takes somewhere around 1-2 hours. The reason it takes so long is because there is just a ridiculous amount of decisions that you can make from turn to turn.

My game in a nutshell would be a lot closer to a lane based card battling game (like Kard Combat for ios). It is significantly deeper though.

Funny enough, the first thing the game does though is limit the characters that you can play for the whole game. You get to choose 6 characters through a drafting system. This is not the deck construction part of the game. Of those six characters, only 5 get played. The sixth character can be subbed for one of the 5 in play characters by removing one of your characters from the game. (Why would you do this? ... essentially you are killing off a character that is about to die anyway.)

The deck construction part of the game is actually done with a deck of playing cards. The characters in the game have powers that need to be activated. The cost to activate those powers is Spades, Hearts, Clubs, and Diamonds. You can and must put 20 cards into your deck (no more, no less). Each turn you draw 3 cards from your deck. There is no hand limit so you can save cards for the next turn. Some cards have draw card abilities. To prevent infinite draw card combos, your discard deck only goes back into your draw pile at the beginning of the turn. So you can spend cards to draw more cards, but the spent cards go into the discard pile and can't really be drawn again.

The dice in the game act almost entirely as HP. Each character gets a certain amount of HP when they are put into play. The goal is to have more total HP on all of your characters than your opponent at the end of the game. The game lasts 18 rounds.

In the solitaire game, the AI opponent can't really use his powers with intelligence. So he has other advantages instead. First he has more characters. In other words, you will have to beat 12 characters total. Second is just pure firepower. When the AI is working at full steam, he activates two attacking abilities per turn, regardless of cost. Your job as a player is to try to prevent him from using those two abilities as often as possible. (i.e. killing his characters off before they can use their damage against you)

The multiplayer game has slightly different challenges in that the player you are playing against is intelligent. And all the cards in the game were designed to be combo intensive. SO intelligent play is required. And you will probably spend your efforts trying to destroy your opponents combos by eliminating his characters. Mostly because once a character is eliminated, he never comes back into the game. And of course, then you cannot use his abilities anymore.

The downside of the game in comparison to Magic the Gathering is that the game takes significantly longer to play. There are more complex decisions that you make during your turn. Which of course increases the game time. There is more thought that will go into your turns because what you do depends on what your priorities are. Some characters are very powerful but can only attack the character in front of them. Most characters are weaker, but add a lot more options. And because your abilities have a common cost, you really have to choose where to spend your resources each turn. Something that will change fairly soon when you start loosing characters as you go and there for start losing options. In the multiplayer game, you have added complex strategy because you can't really be certain what your opponents priorities are either until he starts using certain abilities.

He might have 5 characters out. He will probably only be using 2 or 3 of them and leave the others out for options.

And of course there is the problem about which characters to choose. You kind of want all of the abilities. But you cannot get all of them. Some abilities are very similar. But the cost to use those abilities may vary.

Hope this description wets your appetite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Everything vs. Everything: Maximum Copyright Infringement Edition - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (initial playtesting phase)
Edit: Rules are now updated reflecting further playtesting.

Everything VS. Everything: Maximum Copyright Infringement Edition

Have you ever wanted to see what would happen if Darth Vader and the Terminator had a battle to the death? What about Megaman vs Sonic the Hedgehog? Well, your glory days are finally here! Come and experience the glory days of print and play in a game that would be so expensive to produce that Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight Games would keel over and go bankrupt trying to get this game to make money. This game stole IP`s from as many sources as possible to bring you THE ultimate grudge match. Hurry up and try it before every lawyer this side of New York City drops a C and D letter so large, it would crush the empire state building.

Oh ... and just in case you are the IP holder of one of the licenses of this game: This is a fan made game that thinks your IP is awesome. I will never make profit off of this game. I will never charge money for this game. It is intended to be a parody/fan project. If you still want to me to remove your awesome IP and deprive the 4 people who will actually print this game of their enjoyment, then I will do so. And if you are an artist who drew one of the awesome pictures in this game and I have not given sufficient credit to you for it, may I remind you that you likely stole the IP yourself and probably didn`t get permission for it. Go sue Google because they were the ones who alerted me to your awesome image ... and they have WAY more money than I do. Or you could just ask me to steal an image from someone else.

Set-Up

What you will need:

1) Printed sheet of cards (4 sheets at the time of this writing) cut so that they may be shuffled. (a 5th sheet has 9 additional experimental cards.
2) 1-2 decks of playing cards with the same card back.
3) About 40 - 50 dice. (which will vary based on cards played.)
4) Approximately 60 tokens of various colors. (Eurocubes will work just fine. Beads will also work. More colored dice work great also for counting multiple tokens.)
5) These rules. (Note that there is a glossary at the end of these rules to clarify parts of the game)
6) Faq.

How to set up the play area:

Place 6 tokens in a row. These tokens are called FIELD TOKENS. They are used to denote FIELD SPACES. OPEN FIELD SPACES are empty spaces above and below these tokens. Both your characters and your opponents will be placed on these OPEN FIELD SPACES. You will place your characters below the FIELD TOKENS and your opponent will place them above the FIELD TOKENS. See the diagram to show how a typical set up might be.

Place a d6 around the first FIELD TOKEN so that the 3 pip side is face up. This is the TIMER DIE and represents a clock within the game. (more on this later)

Solitaire game - You will now need 2 tokens depending on your chosen difficulty. These will be called THRUST TOKENS from here on.

Place 2 THRUST TOKENS around the third and forth field tokens.

How to draft your characters

Solitaire game - Draw character cards and shuffle them.

Easy difficulty - Draw 36 character cards and deal them out into 6 piles of 6 characters. If this is the base game without expansions, this should be all of the characters.

Medium difficulty - Draw 30 character cards and deal out the characters into 6 face down piles of 5 characters each.

Hard difficulty - Draw 24 character cards and deal out the characters into 6 face down piles of 4 characters each.

Choose 1 character from each pile. Please note that you can only look at the characters from one pile before looking at the characters from the next pile. This is to prevent certainty that you will get all of the characters that you want. Once you have selected your 6 characters, randomly choose 2 characters from each pile to form the AI deck. Shuffle these characters and place them face down into a AI Character draw deck. Finally remove all remaining characters from the game.

(Special Note: Sherlock Holmes will randomly pull one of these characters into the game)

Multiplayer game Variant 1 - Deal out the 6 character card piles like you would in the solitaire version. Each player randomly chooses 3 piles and picks 1 character from each pile. They must choose a character from a single pile before looking at the next pile of characters. Once this is done, the players pass the three decks from their opponent and again choose 1 character from each pile . They must again choose a character before looking at the next pile.

Multiplayer game Variant 2 - Shuffle the character cards and draw 2 piles of 6 characters. Each player chooses 1 character and passes the pile to their opponent. Each player chooses a 2nd character and passes the pile to their opponent. Each player then chooses a 3rd character and passes the pile to their opponent. Now add 5 character cards to each pile and each player chooses their 4th character and passes their pile to their opponent. Do the same for choosing the 5th and 6th characters.

(Note that this variant gives the players a little more of an idea which characters are available for the game. It also forces them to make the best with what they have, as a good variety of characters will not make it into the game.)

Each non AI player should now have 6 character cards. They will now need to create a CARD ENERGY DECK. The CARD ENERGY DECK must consist of 20 playing cards. Only the suit matters on these cards and how many cards of each suit is up to the players, provided the total card count is 20. It is entirely possible (but not recommended) that a player make a deck entirely of spades. Once you have created this deck, shuffle it and put it face down.

If you look at each of the character cards, you will notice that each card has 1-2 ABILITIES. Beside these ABILITIES are card suit images. The images indicate which ENERGY CARDS are required to activate the ABILITY. During your turn, you will spend ENERGY CARDS from your hand of ENERGY CARDS to activate these ABILITIES. When drafting your characters, you will probably want to take this into consideration.

Final set-up

Choose the side of the OPEN FIELD SPACES closest to you. Place 5 of your characters onto OPEN FIELD SPACES. (Once placed, these spaces are no longer considered open). If you are playing multiplayer, then you may place these characters face down. You must however keep (at least) one OPEN FIELD SPACE on your side of the board throughout the game. You will notice that you have one character remaining. He is your "SUB" and his identity is secret to you until you choose to reveal him. (The AI won`t care, you can show it to "him" all you want.)

Solitaire game - Place HP DICE on each character so that the face up side of the dice matches the side of the die shown on each of the character cards. These dice represent hit points of each character. If throughout the game, the final HP DIE is removed from the character, then the character is eliminated and removed from the game. Please note that some characters do not have the "6" pip side face up on their character card. This is intentional as some characters will mess with how much HP that character can have. (For example, characters that heal other characters.)

Multiplayer game - Once each player has chosen their starting character`s starting positions in the play area, they simultaneously flip the characters to reveal them. Place the associated HP DICE on each character, just like the solitaire game.

You are now ready to play.

Playing the Game

The game consists of 18 rounds total. Both the solitaire and multiplayer player phases are similar. However the AI behaves a bit differently.

The solitaire game plays as follows:
1) UPKEEP
2) MOVE TIMER DIE AND THRUST TOKENS
3) PLACE NEW CHARACTER
4) DEAL AI DAMAGE
5) PLAYER DRAWS CARD ENERGY
6) PLAYER ACTIVATES ANY CARDS POWERS THAT HE CHOOSES OR SUBS

The multiplayer game plays as follows:
1) UPKEEP
2) MOVE TIMER DIE AND DETURMINE FIRST PLAYER
3) PLAYER 1 DRAWS CARD ENERGY
4) PLAYER 1 ACTIVATES ANY CARDS POWERS THAT HE CHOOSES OR SUBS
5) PLAYER 2 DRAWS CARD ENERGY
6) PLAYER 2 ACTIVATES ANY CARDS POWERS THAT HE CHOOSES OR SUBS

Details of each phase of the game

1) UPKEEP

Many abilities in the game allow a player to place tokens. Some of those tokens are called UPKEEP TOKENS. What this means is that during the upkeep, one of the group of upkeep tokens is removed from the character. Please note that a group of upkeep tokens is placed every time the ability is activated and that groups of tokens are meant to be kept separate from each other. In other words, if an ability that places upkeep tokens is activated 3 times, then the groups of tokens do not stack on each other. Rather, they remain distinct groups and are treated as separate groups of tokens. During the upkeep phase, one token from each group is removed. It may be advisable to use a die to represent these groups of tokens instead.

Tokens that are not UPKEEP tokens are not removed during the upkeep phase.

2) MOVE TIMER DIE AND THRUST TOKENS

The game is intended to have 18 turns. The timer die acts as a timer for the game. It starts in the first FIELD SPACE with the 3 pip side face up. Every turn, it moves to the next FIELD to the right. (or left, depending on which player you are.) When it must move off of the last FIELD SPACE on the right (the 6th FIELD SPACE), it goes back to the first FIELD SPACE and resets its face up side one pip lower. In other words, if it had 3 pips, it will now have 2 pips. If there was only 1 pip and it is supposed to move off of the last FIELD position, then the game ends!

This is just a simple way to keep track of the 18 rounds in the game.

In the solitaire game, the timer has an additional function in the next phase: place new character.

In the solitaire game, you also have THRUST TOKENS in the third, forth, and fifth positions. They move just like the timer die. In other words, each thrust token moves 1 FIELD SPACE to the right and loops around to the first FIELD SPACE when it moves off of the last FIELD SPACE. You will likely find it useful to just move the first THRUST TOKEN to the last position as though it leapfroged the other THRUST TOKENS. Or you can just move each THRUST TOKEN individually. THRUST TOKENS are used in the forth step: deal AI damage.

In the multiplayer game, first player is determined randomly each turn. Each player rolls a die. Whoever rolls higher is the first player for that round. EXCEPTION: Whoever has Penelope Pitstop is automatically first player. There is no need to roll the die if she is in play.

3) PLACE NEW CHARACTER (solitaire only)

Look at the FIELD SPACE above the TIMER DIE. You must place a new character onto this FIELD SPACE if 2 conditions are met. First, the FIELD SPACE must be an OPEN FIELD SPACE. In other words, it must be empty. The second condition is that there must be no more than 4 characters on the AI side of the board. If there were 4 characters, then this character would become the 5th character. Remember that each side is allowed a maximum of 5 characters and that there must always be an OPEN FIELD SPACE on each side of the board. If these two conditions are met, then you must place a new character from the top of the AI DECK.

You will need to defeat characters before new characters will come into play.

4) DEAL AI DAMAGE (solitaire only)

This is the phase where the AI does damage (in most instances). Look at the THRUST TOKENS. Starting with the first THRUST TOKEN, the AI activates the first ability on the card, regardless of cost. The AI never activates the second ability. In most instances, this ability damages the opponent. In a few instances, there may be other effects as well.

This is the hardest step in the solitaire game to enforce. A few characters have ABILITIES that are difficult to interpret because the AI cannot choose. When this is the case, you may make active choices for the AI. For example, Ratchet and Clank have the ability "Use another character on your side's damage ABILITY". If that is the case, you (the player) must choose a different damage ability and pretend as though Ratchet and Clank had that ABILITY. You will most likely choose the ABILITY that does the least damage.

If the ABILITY says that you may choose a target, then you (the player) may choose the target.

If the ability is still impossible to perform, such as Le Chuck or Professor Xavier, then the AI character simply does 3 magic damage. One of the most common reasons for this is that the AI does not have a ENERGY CARD DECK, and therefore cannot draw a card. If there was space, this is denoted as SOLITAIRE: DO 3 DAMAGE TO OPPOSING PLAYER.

Note also that there are characters that have an ABILITY on the second part that are listed as ALWAYS ACTIVE. These abilities are always active even if you or the AI did not activate them. For example, the Terminator always receives double magic damage. He never activates this ability. If the ALWAYS ACTIVE ABILITY cannot be performed by the AI, then it has no effect.

5) PLAYER DRAWS CARD ENERGY

The player now draws 3 ENERGY CARDS from the top of his ENERGY DECK.

If the character has run out of cards from his energy deck, he takes his discard deck and shuffles it and places it face down to reform his ENERGY DECK.

EXCEPTION: Certain characters allow the player to draw one more card each turn.

6) PLAYER ACTIVATES ANY POWERS HE CHOOSES

The character cards that the player has in play have ABILITIES. These ABILITIES usually cost ENERGY CARDS. The ENERGY CARD costs are written to the left of the ABILITY. To activate an ability, the player must spend (discard) ENERGY CARDS from his hand. On each of these ENERGY CARDS is a card suit. The number is not relevant to the gameplay. After the player has spent the ENERGY CARDS, the ABILITY is activated.

The player may activate any ABILITY of a character on his side of the board. He is not required to activate an ABILITY. He may activate an ABILITY multiple times (if he has the CARD ENERGY and the ABILITY does not say he cannot activate it multiple times). He may activate several different ABILITIES provided he can pay the CARD ENERGY costs.

The player is never required to discard cards (unless an ABILITY says other wise). He has a hand limit of 20 ENERGY CARDS (Which is also the maximum amount of ENERGY CARDS he may have in his deck).

SUBBING

At any given time during this phase of your turn, you may replace any of your characters with the SUB character. There is no cost to replace a character with the SUB character. However, this may only be done in the first 15 turns of the game. After the 15th turn, your SUB must stay on the sidelines.

The replaced character is removed from the game.

Characters that are not put into the game and left on the sidelines do not count towards your end game score in the multiplayer game. They do count toward your score in the solitaire game.

SQUAD MOVEMENT

Characters are usually stuck in the field spaces where they are located unless an ability allows specific characters to move around. To prevent the game from stagnating, you may at any time during this phase perform a SQUAD MOVEMENT.

To perform a SQUAD MOVEMENT, you must discard your entire hand of ENERGY CARDS. You are required to have at least 1 ENERGY CARD in your hand to perform a SQUAD MOVEMENT. When you perform a SQUAD MOVEMENT, you may move each character in any order left or right to an OPEN FIELD SPACE. Each character may move only once.

Game End

The game ends when the TIMER DIE would move off of the last FIELD SPACE and has the 1 pip side face up. 18 round should have occurred at this point.

Final score

Sum up the HP left on all played characters. In the solitaire game only, add the HP left on each of the characters that have not been played. Who ever has the higher amount of HP wins. The score is the amount of HP left of the winning player minus the amount of HP left of losing player.

Solitaire scoring ranks:

Basic victory: 1 point! (This should be pretty easy to achieve this.)

Advanced victory: 30 points! (This should be an average score.)

Expert victory: 50 points! (You are going to need a very special selection of cards to be able to pull this off.)

Glossary

Basic game terms

FIELD TOKEN

FIELD SPACE

OPEN FIELD SPACE

TIMER DIE

THRUST TOKEN

AI

AI DECK

ABILITY

ENERGY CARD

ENERGY CARD DECK

SUB

SQUAD MOVEMENT

TOKENS and notes about tokens - One of the key parts of this game is the concept of tokens. A large part of the characters have lasting effects. Tokens are one of the ways to keep track of these lasting effects. Tokens do NOT effect each other. (see boost tokens)

Also note that when placing tokens as a group, they do not interact with other groups of tokens. In other words, if an ABILITY that places tokens is cast two times in a row, then the tokens are treated as separate groups and will trigger twice independently from each other.

Tokens NOT removed during upkeep

BOOST TOKENS - Boost tokens are the most common token placed in the game and are critical to winning the game. It will be difficult to win the game if you have no characters that place boost tokens. Boost tokens add a single point of damage to a characters damage ABILITY. If the character's ABILITY does damage to multiple targets, then the player can choose one of those targets to do an extra single point of damage. The boost target effects ONLY one of the targets and not all of the targets.

If the ABILITY hits multiple times, then a single point of damage is added to the total hits to the single target. (ref: Mechwarrior)

If the ABILITY is cast several times, then the boost token will be used every time the ABILITY is cast. (ref: Terminator, American Mcgee's Alice)

Boost tokens do not affect other tokens. In other words, if an ABILITY says that a when removing a token, do damage to the opposing character, then it is the token doing the damage, not the ABILITY. The damage is not boosted. (ref: The Incredible Hulk, Warp Core, Solid Snake)

ACID TOKENS

SPEED TOKENS

BLOB TOKENS

Tokens that ARE removed during upkeep

WARP CORE TOKENS

CHAIN TOKENS

WEB TOKENS

RAGE TOKENS

MINE TOKENS

BAT TOKENS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Everything vs. Everything: Maximum Copyright Infringement Edition - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (initial playtesting phase)
Ignoring how much ink this card is going to suck from your printer, which is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Poorbaugh
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm really liking how this is coming together. Quite a structure from such a broad and novel concept!

I think that I would like the second card better if it had a different type of gradient. The red to grey just really doesn't jive too well with the blue border and purple gradient box. I can imagine something that is very cliche CCG like where it has that muted sort of gradient texture that is used on every card and it differs in color of the gradient/texture by type or ability. Something like that might look a little better as well as bringing just another bit of unity to all of the cards.

Is there a significance to the blue border on the portrait as well as the dice box gradient?

All in all, I like what you've done with this. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop as it comes along! This is something that I'd be happy to play test as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
The gradient filled background both look tacky.

Without regard for the amount of ink or toner used many gradient fills look smooth on monitors but on paper large gradient areas often have very visible, unattractive jumps in colour density. A nebulous, textured or geometric background would probably be a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the white looks better. Partially because the backgrounds you chose for the other two really don't look good. But also because the white just looks really clean and emphasizes the important parts of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the white might be better. I like the idea of having something geometric.

OK, how about something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's not bad. It adds some depth to the card, which is really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it difficult to see that the cost of this ability is 2 spades? Do I need to get new card suit icons?

I really like this grid because it has a 3-d effect to it and puts an emphasis on the 6 by 2 layout of the cards when the game is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
The grid looks a lot nicer than the plain white background.

You could try adjusting the maximum output level of the layer which has the spade on it so that the nearly white sections appear as a dark grey instead of a light grey. Similar for the heart icons from above. Printing on a home printer is going to truncate the top of the spade as the stipple pattern starts spacing the black dots really far apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
austin_ep wrote:
I'm really liking how this is coming together. Quite a structure from such a broad and novel concept!

Thanks for the support!

austin_ep wrote:
I think that I would like the second card better if it had a different type of gradient. The red to grey just really doesn't jive too well with the blue border and purple gradient box. I can imagine something that is very cliche CCG like where it has that muted sort of gradient texture that is used on every card and it differs in color of the gradient/texture by type or ability. Something like that might look a little better as well as bringing just another bit of unity to all of the cards.

Muted color might be ok. I think I like rectangular grid the best so far. But I am not liking how it is contrasting with the card suit icons.

austin_ep wrote:
Is there a significance to the blue border on the portrait as well as the dice box gradient?

Nope. I am open to changing the color. I was thinking to make it match the color of the dice box because that color is significant. I was also open to changing the color of the grid box in the background too, based on the color of the dice box. I am still not 100% sold on this pattern yet. I do really like the white on top and color on the bottom.

austin_ep wrote:
All in all, I like what you've done with this. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop as it comes along! This is something that I'd be happy to play test as well.

Thanks for offering to playtest. The solitaire contest has been awesome for the past three years because of all of the community. Looks like your input will help make this game even better.

I am getting much closer to a happy point for public playtesting. I have found flaws with many of the cards and have done lots of changes so far. But I am changing less and less cards with each play. The actual game itself is actually starting to play very fluidly and has a lot of variety to its gameplay.

Once I post the public playtesting file, I will need help searching for flaws and unbeatable combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max Version 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arthus Menethil Color change cards

Original

Color change version

Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the blue design. The purple looks harder to read, particularly on the 'No Cost' part. The weight of the text seems much less than the weight of card symbols.

The 'Other' text is very bold and is the first thing that my attention is drawn to on the card. Is that the most important piece of information on the card? I'm no graphic designer but I would suppose that your eye should naturally be drawn to the most important pieces of information first.

I don't like the purple gradient. No reason, really. It just looks wrong to me compared to the blue tones of the picture. You'd think that would work because they are similar but I just don't like it. Subjective.

I don't like the world of warcraft logo, as it is very bold colour and the rest of your design is lighter, shaded gradients etc. Having the character's name over the top looks like it's clashing. In fact, that's the thing that I don't like, the clashing. The logo would be ok alone.

The logo also looks like its too near the card edge, which could result in printing problems. Is the WoW logo important enough to take up the upper portion of the card?

I quite like the gradient grid in the background. It gives the card depth.

A question that I would ask is if I have several cards in my hand, will I be able to see all of the important information if they are fanned out?

All subjective feedback, for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
I echo Michael on everything but the colour purple and the contrast of the WoW logo. I think the bottom card is far better looking. The cyan looks rather garish in comparison to the lilac. Now excuse me while I go do manly things for daring to know that lilac is a colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |