United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 245th TGIF Poll
Do you have any boardgames that you have to schedule in advance in order to play?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
82.2% 263
No
17.8% 57
Voters 320
If you do pick one of them, what reasons does this game fall into this issue?

(Check all that apply)
The game is long
77.4% 243
The game is complicated
51.3% 161
The game requires a specific number of players
45.9% 144
The game has a specific theme
7.3% 23
Your regular groups just don't like it
11.1% 35
Only certain people know how to play it and you don't feel like teaching it again
9.9% 31
You have a tradition of playing it with specific people, or at a certain time, etc.
14.6% 46
Other
4.8% 15
I answered "No" to Question 1
15.6% 49
Voters 314
Would you buy a game if you knew you'd only be able to play it maybe once a year at most, and only by scheduling a group to play in advance?
Absolutely
26.4% 85
Probably
17.4% 56
Maybe
33.2% 107
Doubtful
18.3% 59
No Way
4.7% 15
Voters 322
This poll is now closed.   322 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:00 am

4. What game in your collection do you have the hardest time getting to the table?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games that normally get a 'planned game' (which is normally not during a regular gaming session) are Die Macher and Antiquity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Do you have any boardgames that you have to schedule in advance in order to play?
Yep. 1830: Railways & Robber Barons, 1861: The Railways of the Russian Empire, 1825, 2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt, Um, I think there might be a trend here somewhere.
Quote:
2. If you do pick one of them, what reasons does this game fall into this issue?
Time. Anything that is sure to go longer than 3h is a no-no unless we've agreed on it in advance.
Quote:
3. Would you buy a game if you knew you'd only be able to play it maybe once a year at most, and only by scheduling a group to play in advance?
Yes. Since I have a hard time getting new games to the table as it is, why would this be a restriction if I think the time spent is worth it?
Quote:
4. What game in your collection do you have the hardest time getting to the table?
See answer to Q1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, it's pretty much to the point that if a game lasts over 30 minutes, I have to schedule it...

The game I'm having the hardest time getting out is Risk Legacy. I'm waiting until I can get enough people that will buy into the concept and be willing to commit to a scheduled playing time with some regularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars
Andean Abyss
Civilization
High Frontier
Space Empires: 4X
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
Dune

The list goes on . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardest to get to the table in no particular order with perceived reason:

Die Macher (Theme)
Andean Abyss (Theme)
Here I Stand (# Players and time)
Virgin Queen (# Players and time)
The Republic of Rome (# players and time)
Age of Renaissance (# players and time)
Antiquity (Theme)
Indonesia (Theme)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia is the game in my collection that I would have to plan ahead for. It really needs exactly 4 player. And it's a wargame (mostly), and I don't have good connections with the local wargame community. On the plus side, I now have some solo rules to try with it, so it may eventually get to the table, when I have some free time.

I previously owned Friedrich but sold it after having similar problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Yes, most specifically Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit.

2 - It's only 2-player, which is harder for me to arrange, and the theme won't excite everyone as much as it does me. Luckily I have a friend who shares my Star Wars passion and his kids like to watch too.

3 - Maybe, if I was super excited about the theme. Otherwise I'd probably steer away from a game like this.

4 - Power Grid has sat on my unplayed list for longer than any other game in my collection has sat unplayed. This is because it has a complexity level just slightly higher, and the play length is slightly longer than others my family likes to play. Haven't been able to schedule a chance to play it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One word: Civilization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mildthrill wrote:
Sadly, it's pretty much to the point that if a game lasts over 30 minutes, I have to schedule it...

The game I'm having the hardest time getting out is Risk Legacy. I'm waiting until I can get enough people that will buy into the concept and be willing to commit to a scheduled playing time with some regularity.

Risk Legacy is the one I had on the top of my mind as well. After getting a group of 5 to commit to getting together every month or two until we "finish' the game - we have met twice in about a year. we have played 2 games each time, so we are 4 games into the 11-15 it will take to finish. Wish it would go a little quicker, but we're all busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires in Arms (the impossible dream)
Roads & Boats
Antiquity
Pax Britannica
Rune Wars

and pretty much every RPG I own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Do you have any boardgames that you have to schedule in advance in order to play?
Any game over 4 hour requires advanced playing. Games in the 2-4 hour range might get played on a regular game day but not very often.
2 Player games general don't get played on game nights so if I want to play a 2 player game, especially a long 2 player game it needs to be scheduled.

2 If you do pick one of them, what reasons does this game fall into this issue?
Time mostly, I don't think any theme would put a game out of play but there are games I like that some of my friends I regularly play with don't care for so they get played less often than I would like. Puerto Rico and Struggle of Empires come to mind.

3 Would you buy a game if you knew you'd only be able to play it maybe once a year at most, and only by scheduling a group to play in advance?
Absolutely, generating excitement for that first play is usually not an issue and if it doesn't see itself on the first play I can always trade it away.

4 What game in your collection do you have the hardest time getting to the table?
7 Ages is the only game in my collection that can't be played in a single session so really requires advanced planning and commitment to play multiple session is a short time frame.

Civilization, Here I Stand and Virgin Queen I have decided are pretty much convention only games as I don't know enough people locally that are interested in playing them.

Struggle of Empires, StarCraft: The Board Game, Die Macher are all games I would play more if they were not so hard to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    For me it's as much about getting a slot in the schedule. I can show up with something to play (especially if it's a 2 hour game or more . . . "why should we play your game when we have these other nine games that take only eight minutes each? They're very strategic.") and find two or three other new games sitting on the table for me to get in line behind. I'll reserve a spot a week in advance.

Sometimes it's about theme or commitment as well. It helps to work someone into the game early if it's big or long.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Yes, TI3, StarCraft, Warrior Knights, A Game of Thrones, ...

2 - Length mainly, but if it is too complicated to explain then may ask ones to read rules or make sure reserve more time to explain before we play. I have the benefit of a couple of groups, so one of them would be willing to play about any game.

3 - It would be a harder sell, but I might. I'd definitely have to try it first with someone that I wouldn't normally play with. (after all if someone I regularly play with has it we can play their copy)

4 - Warrior Knights. When we schedule a long game something else usually comes out and I need to relearn it myself at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Quote:
What game in your collection do you have the hardest time getting to the table?

I've got stuff I've never even tried to get played other than solo.
A lot of it.

The thing I most wanted to get a big game of which I couldn't
was The Crusades. It's funny, because it's about the
same size and complexity as other big games that we'd regularly
play, but somehow couldn't generate the excitement in my group
sufficient to outvote other options. Once our group got smaller
and more focused, it would have been possible, but I really wanted
to play it in seven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb

Probably the two would be
War of the Ring (Second Edition)
Caesar: Epic Battle of Alesia

Both would be all-day affairs.
And, both I would have to teach, so I'll really have to have the rules down. I've been learning War of the Ring via some excellent YouTube tutorial videos, but it's an involved process, I think it's about 4-6 total hours of videos in the series...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game that really fits the bill here is Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for me. While Arkham Horror has similar issues, at least for that one we can manage a decent game with 4 players that doesn't last too long. But I really don't like BSG with less than 5 and it requires a lot of upfront explanation (because of the hidden identities).

For now I'd say that's the one I have the most trouble getting to the table. But other heavy games also may only get a once-a-year play at best because of their length and complexity - Vinhos, Automobile, De Vulgari Eloquentia are examples.

At this point I'm actively avoiding getting any new games that I know take a long time, are too complex, or won't get played even once every two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
The two games that normally get a 'planned game' (which is normally not during a regular gaming session) are Die Macher and Antiquity

Having participated in the last planned Die Macher event, it is well worth the extra effort in scheduling a few hours for this! What a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Britannia is the game in my collection that I would have to plan ahead for. It really needs exactly 4 player. And it's a wargame (mostly), and I don't have good connections with the local wargame community. On the plus side, I now have some solo rules to try with it, so it may eventually get to the table, when I have some free time.

I previously owned Friedrich but sold it after having similar problems.

Come to
http://www.rapiercon.com/
in Jacksonville Florida.
They have a Britannia tournament every year, so at least one game and a second if you make the finals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Halvorson
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scepter of Zavandor usually needs to be scheduled. A 5 or 6 player game of this easily lasts over 3 hours. I haven't played this with fewer than 5 players in a long time. Otherwise, it might hit the table a little more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite games of all time, but it also checks off almost every box:

[√] 3+ Hours to play
[√] 15+ Minutes to explain the rules, plus a lot of referrals to the book during play
[√] 5 or more players (It's technically playable with 3 or 4, but there are much better game choices for that range.)
[√] Knowing the show isn't essential, but it *really* helps get into the game
[_] Most of the people I game with enjoy the game, so at least this isn't a mark against it.
[\] I'm yet to play this with only "veteran" players - every single time there has been at least one new player. Not really a mark for or against, but one of these times I'd like to be able to just sit down and start playing. Any rules explanation at all adds to the time spent on this, which only adds to the weight of that first checkbox.

Combined, it means this game just doesn't get played much. In fact, it's been over a year now for this one. I fully intend to pick up Daybreak when it comes out, but I don't expect that to help this game get on the table.

There have been some other games that interested me but I ultimately passed on because I knew they wouldn't get played much or at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

#4 - virtually any wargame. Out of my euros I'd say Perikles or Struggle of Empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I broadly call this category of games "appointment games". As in, you need to book an appointment with your friends to get it on everyone's schedule.

They're usually multiplayer, such as Here I Stand (six).

Even if I can't get live players I can usually get the game played via pbem on VASSAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game that takes longer than around 4 hours (Though 3 hours is pushing it a little) I need to make special arrangements with my regular players, because normally we get four hours a week.

The absolute hardest game for me to get out, though? Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes
2. The game is long
3. Maybe
4. I have a few long games I still haven't got to the table because of their length: Britannia, Europe Engulfed, and Struggle of Empires. One day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.