Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I come to this site to read information about BOARD GAMES. This site's name is, BOARDGAMEgeek. I don't want to see screen shots of video games based on a board game. What's the point! Why are we shoving out around $45-$60(CDN) for a board game when we can just get it on our PC? I'll tell you why...I want the synthetics of playing a game on a board. Holding the pieces in your hand, rolling the dice, etc. This is one of the reasons why board games are so much fun. I have no interest in mixing the two worlds of video and boardgames. There are PLENTY of other sites that deal with video games. As far as I'm concerned, a video game based on a board game isn't enough to validate it being shown on this site. I'm seeing more and more of it and I won't be sticking around if it continues and gets out of hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
There are videogames on this site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
There are videogames on this site?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/74352
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/73490
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/92178
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Yeah, but those are just images. Are there game entries for video games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be a very large number of gamers out there who for one reason or another simply can't get together with other gamers on a regular basis (or at least not often enough). For them, computer versions of games are invaluable.

Also computer versions are an excellent way to try before you buy and to learn the rules of a game before a face to face game.

So the board becomes a screen and the rules get refereed by a machine. Doesn't make it any less of a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
A computer rendition of a boardgame is NOT a boardgame. It may be a nice substitute for those who can't play the real game. It may allow someone to kinda sorta maybe think they have an idea of how the game plays. But it ain't a boardgame.

I agree that all screenshots should be removed from the image databases. This is not Computer Game Geek, thankfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. zombie

I for one am fed up with all these entries for card games on here. This isn't CardGameGeek after all. Take them all down.

And party games too. This isn't PartyGameGeek, what right does Werewolf have to belong on this web site.

Don't get me started on ASL, if ever there was a game that didn't belong here it's this. Go and start your own WarGameGeek all you hex-map chit lovers.

devildevildevildevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
A computer rendition of a boardgame is NOT a boardgame. It may be a nice substitute for those who can't play the real game. It may allow someone to kinda sorta maybe think they have an idea of how the game plays. But it ain't a boardgame.

What about PBM/PBEM? It's a different experience to sitting around a table with a bunch of people - is it still boardgaming?

What about if I don't have room to keep the board set up between turns, so I take a photo after every turn and then set it up again to make the next move?

What if sometimes it's hard to see things on the photos, so I write down where everything is to set it back up next turn?

What if I write it down on the computer instead of on paper?

What if instead of writing it down, I have a program that "knows" about board games and can easily record all the positions for me?

What if that program can also draw such nice pictures of the board that I don't bother to set the board up any more?

Is playing a board game in a zine a "real" boardgame? Live with real opponents with BSW, VASSAL, Cyberboard, the DoW web site, SBW, etc? Turn-based with VASSAL, Cyberboard, etc?

You can draw your own personal line where you see fit - but just ignore the content on the other side of it. There's no need to try and limit the ways other people can enjoy games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.