Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my FLGS convinced me I need to start playing in their league. How much cash am I looking at to get involved in this game? I'd like to be competitive (card wise).

Thanks Geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braithwaite
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want to be competitive, you need at least 2 core sets and 1 of every data pack. That should run you about $120-150 at the moment, and you'll eventually have to spend more as more data packs come out, but they aren't super expensive. Overall, this adds up to maybe 1/2 or 1/4 of a competitive t2 magic deck, depending on the format/deck, so overall its very affordable for someone who already plays cards competitively.

I say at least 2 core sets because some of the best cards in the game are singletons in core (desperado, grimoire, and SanSan City Grid come to mind). One solution is to find someone who isn't using their copies of those cards and borrow from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11734784#11734784

FAQ has plenty you'll find useful enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say exactly 2 core sets, the return on a 3rd set is extremely small and will only get smaller in the future. Plus, if the OP was looking to spend money for marginal return he probably wouldn't be asking this question

If you are really strapped, then you could try getting one core set and ask another local player if they have spare copies of the cards that come 2x. If they bought 2 Cores then they would have 4x copies and you only really need 3x. However, some players want to hang on to the extras because they might use that card in multiple decks at the same time. Anyway, it might at least buy you a little time to borrow them until you can afford the 2nd core. Also, I believe some people sell these spare cards on ebay too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need one of every data pack. You need one of every pack that has a card being used in the top deck you want to play. Either net deck something in your play style, or design a deck with the online tools and use that to guide your purchases. Some decks only use 2 or 3 data packs plus core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 140 dollars (plus shipping if you don't have a retailer nearby).

2 core sets and one of each data pack. No reason to not get them all if you like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braithwaite
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
You don't need one of every data pack. You need one of every pack that has a card being used in the top deck you want to play. Either net deck something in your play style, or design a deck with the online tools and use that to guide your purchases. Some decks only use 2 or 3 data packs plus core.

The thing is you need to build 2 decks, and it is unlikely that there will be perfect crossover between which your 2 decks need. Moreover, metagames shift rapidly; you put yourself at a competitive disadvantage if you can't react to shifts in the metagame, and those reactions are different if entire swaths of the card pool aren't accessible to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
almost nothing compared to every other card game out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playsets of every card in the game right now will run you about 135 bucks.

3x 25 dollar Core Set
6x 10 dollar Data Packs

That's assuming you find everything pretty cheap, CoolStuffInc etc.

If you bought at MSRP, it'd be like 210.

3x 40 dollar Core Set
6x 15 dollar Data Packs

Realistically, you can go cheaper. The only competitive deck that really needs three core sets is Fast Advance, and if you're aware of what decks you want to play, you can get away without some of the data packs.

I'm assuming you don't want to borrow cards or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
The only competitive deck that really needs three core sets is Fast Advance

I think this is an overstatement. You can make really good FA decks running 2 Sansans. In fact, you don't even need Sansan for a FA deck. 3 Biotic Labor and 3 Tricks of light should do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
I am going the miniature market route.. 6 data packs and 2 core sets came out to be around 110 dollars shipped. I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
brisingre wrote:
The only competitive deck that really needs three core sets is Fast Advance

I think this is an overstatement. You can make really good FA decks running 2 Sansans. In fact, you don't even need Sansan for a FA deck. 3 Biotic Labor and 3 Tricks of light should do it.

You can make a good budget version of Fast Advance, yes. But I'm almost certain that the version with three SanSans is better (It uses less influence than Trick of Light and gets more value from it) and I don't feel comfortable calling a deck "competitive" if I feel it has made any compromises to its power for budget, card availability, or other reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Share a second set with a friend, it's more cost-effective.

You are looking at 15$/month plus what has already been released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
tranenturm wrote:

This!

Reading up on the stuff you can face is MUCH more important than buying all the stuff. A well built core deck with a single needed data pack wont auto-lose anything.

You need to know the meta, you don't need to blow your budget. You will, no matter what we advise, but you don't NEED to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

For the record, I definitely understand this is much cheaper than other card games. I was just wondering exactly what kind of financial commitment I was considering.

unfortunate that online is so much cheaper than in store. I'll see what I can swing for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
running_bear wrote:
tranenturm wrote:

The thing is you need to build 2 decks, and it is unlikely that there will be perfect crossover between which your 2 decks need. Moreover, metagames shift rapidly; you put yourself at a competitive disadvantage if you can't react to shifts in the metagame, and those reactions are different if entire swaths of the card pool aren't accessible to you.

If someone is looking for buying advice, it means they are on a budget. I'm simply pointing out a way to have a top deck for less than buying everything. Buying everything for possible metagame swings is a convenience that money provides. Once supply catches up to demand, all he needs to do to react to the meta game is go to a store to buy the needed pack. The meta also isn't as volatile as some people here make it out to be. Criminal and HB have been pretty solid since day one. Some current criminal lists are still running mostly core cards. Tag n bag Weyland also hasn't significantly changed (Project Atlas being the key data pack card for it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kr.38.000,- for 2x Core Sets and all data packs at the Iclandic FLGS.

That translates to about $300.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
ChillusMaximus wrote:
kr.38.000,- for 2x Core Sets and all data packs at the Iclandic FLGS.

That translates to about $300.

Holy European taxation Batman!
Around here two cores and 6 data packs would be 210$ And we've got a 25% sales tax on top of whatever the European Union likes to add...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.