Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased this game recently and have been looking forward to playing it. I opened the box and punched out the components. I like the look of the pieces, the wooden pengiuns are cool, hmm, would they be called peeples?

The first game was against my 7 year old Justin. I set up the board, explained the rules, and off we went. He got to go first being the younger, and he placed his "peeples" near to 3 fish flows. I placed mine after analyzing his position and mine.

The game started with Justin moving to a 3 fish flow, I did the same. We continued in this fashion throughout the game. Justin's strategy was to go for the big fish flows, while I concentrated on leaving flows for me, while cutting him off. Justin ran out of moves and I cleaned up, final score 48 - 32. He said he enjoyed the game, but didn't want to play again. We'll see if he really liked it next time I pull it out.

My wife came home afterwards, so she and I sat down to a game. I explained the rules, and off we went. About half way through the first game it clicked with her and she started trying to block me, after I blocked her the first time. With the advantage of a game under my belt first I won 41 - 36.

She came out strong in the 2nd game, and managed to cut off and isolate a couple of my peeples. Unfortunately she concentrated too much on cutting me off, and not enough on finding fish. Final score 47 - 36.

Overall I enjoyed the game, looking forward to trying it with more than 2 players. I enjoyed keeping my "peeples" very well fed. The game seems like it has strategy, but is still easy to play. And it plays in about 20 minutes. Definitely a keeper, no throwing these fish back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to get the 7 year old to play again the next day. I think I caught him at the wrong time. He had a new friend over and was more interested in the gamecube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Raphael
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 7 y.o. loves this game too!! She plays on BSW any chance she gets. She can't wait to get the board game itself.

Beth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are your scores so low? There are 100 fish available so by my count you're wasting about 15 fish each time, that's a lot of wasted tiles! I'm guessing that you aren't coutning the tile that your penguin finished the game on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played this several times since. And yes, we had played wrong the first couple times not counting the tiles that we had landed on. I think I reread the rules once when we had people over to play and was like doh, that makes more sense.

We still enjoy this game. We played when my mother was in town 2 weeks ago. My 7 year old is getting somewhat better, although he still concentrates on just getting the most fish quickly which sometimes leaves him cut off on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.