Randy Heller
United States
Barrington
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I was asked to provide some tactical tips for the German Player:

1. Minimize the effect of British indirect artillery fire on Gruppe Bach by either moving adjacent and engaging British units in combat or utilize terrain to realize a shift on the CRT.

2. For Gruppe Bach, try and advance in a wedge and guard your flank(s) from being counterattacked. Although strong, Bach can be vulnerable. If you can't reach the pass with this formation, know that you have succeeded in drawing off British units away from the incoming panzer battalions.

3. An aggressive British Player may not want to rely on a passive defense of Bir El-Siweiyat (my preference). If you suspect an ambush, bring Gruppe von Wechmar in on the southern edge, rather than the road net, combine with an incoming panzer battalion and hit Bir El-Siweiyat in the flank with the stronger combined force.

Good luck and enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Heller
United States
Barrington
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Played a game recently where the German Player started out by running up to the Brits and making a series of low odds attacks with negative DRMs. Sure death for the AK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Heller
United States
Barrington
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
IMO, there is no hardfast deployment of Brits in this game. Playtesting revealed two popular approaches - an aggressive stance with intent to immediately attack before the Germans can combine forces and a passive stance with the intent of defending and encouraging the Germans to fall on their swords. I prefer the latter.

With the former, the British Player will maximize strength in front of Halfaya Pass and minimize strength at Bir El Siweiyat (the spring). He will than attack the Bach units as they come on the map. The German Player can parry this by ensuring flank protection and utilizing terrain, but it can be touch and go.

I have also seen the British Player allocate significant strength to the spring and go after Wechmar. If this is suspected, the Wechmar forces can be brought in further south to be joined by units from Cramer prior to going after the spring.

My preferred strategy is to create four maximized stacks of units, placing two at the spring, one covering the back door to Halfaya Pass and one in front of the pass. Associated units are placed accordingly, some covering the road. By "maximized" I mean those combinations that will best utilize DRMs.

IMO, important to allocate at least 15 APs to the British indirect fire artillery.

That's a summary. Your mileage will of course vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.