Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: uncle_grog_wants_you [+] [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by The Wargame Recruiting Station in Manila: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/15126849 ....

Made a recruiting new members flyer that we can keep handy at our wargaming club/store where we hold court.

I plan to print out a few and toss them in my games that I bring to the store/club. People are always stopping by asking what we are playing - "Is this like Risk?". Will give them this flyer and they'll find their way to our great hobby.

Now....if only I can get a game co to do a little welcome to wargaming app...just a slick little thing that for iPhones and what not. Off to send an email!

And, I welcome suggestions for better text (damm run-on sentence) than what I slapped together in a few minutes today.

note: v2 uploaded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me wish I lived up thar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We can always use a new consul that we can dispatch with a few legions to civilize the barbarians on our frontier. It is cold here, so bring your night's watch attire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Made a recruiting new members flyer that we can keep handy at our wargaming club/store where we hold court.

I plan to print out a few and toss them in my games that I bring to the store/club. People are always stopping by asking what we are playing - "Is this like Risk?". Will give them this flyer and they'll find their way to our great hobby.

Now....if only I can get a game co to do a little welcome to wargaming app...just a slick little thing that for iPhones and what not. Off to send an email!

And, I welcome suggestions for better text (day run-on sentence) than what I slapped together.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uploaded v2.

I'll get The Source to make a poster out of it and hang by their wargame shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you share the template so we can make our own versions?

Thanks,
Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:

Thanks,
Jesse

I did it in Adobe Illustrator. Let me try to do a template in Powerpoint perhaps - everyone should have that. Then, I put a link to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:

Thanks,
Jesse

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd309ee/2261

Just take out the 1st Mn logo, but your logo in...and replace a few words in the body of the text.

powerpoint version...if only we had some game co's that had like a graphic artist...they could actually make it pretty... resisting urge to not rant at game co's, since, you would think they have an interest in expanding the hobby...

I'll post a picture of it hanging in the game store (when used as a poster instead of a flyer) next time I am there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TankBoy wrote:
Can you move down to Texas and bring your friends and The Source with you? whistle

We do have a fantastic wargaming community in the Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! I am glad that someone is putting forward the effort instead of ignoring a younger market. I don't know if hou can convert miniature heretics, but you can start off a kid with Command and Colors or other simple games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to hand out something similar at Gen Con this year for my local wargaming club 19 & One.

Gen Con isn't the best convention for wargamers - its focus is more on Ameritrash, Euros and RPG's - but you do see guys running minis games there.

Next year, I may try and run something hex and counter with some guys from the club, and see if I can generate some interested onlookers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
I'm tempted to hand out something similar at Gen Con this year for my local wargaming club 19 & One.

Gen Con isn't the best convention for wargamers - its focus is more on Ameritrash, Euros and RPG's - but you do see guys running minis games there.

Next year, I may try and run something hex and counter with some guys from the club, and see if I can generate some interested onlookers.

A friend and I are going just for the chance to play wargames for 4 days without family distractions. We are batting possible titles back and forth now.

We will visit the floor and some other events for awhile every day -- but beginning every afternoon straight on into the very early morning hours, we will be playing scenarios from Panzer, Streets of Stalingrad, Bastogne, Burma, Winged Horse, Sea Lords of the Mekong Delta, Red Winter, etc, etc.

PM me Kyle - or anyone attending Gencon this year, and maybe we can fit in a wargame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave a couple of thoughts / observations:

I'm in SE AZ. We have a small - about 10 person group that's a mix of ages from 21 to me at 56. We don't regularly play historical games (which I would prefer but...) but rather a mix of topics, anything from zombies, Battlestar Galactica, Age of Enlightenment,Game of Thrones, Attack!, and recently Invasion America - the first true hex and counter I've been able to let them sample. By default I've become the session organizer so I vary the theme from month to month in order to expose them to different stuff. October will be, for example, monster/horror game month becasue of Halloween. I usually send out an email to everyone several weeks in advance soliciting game topics. I also remind them of the date and time of the next session.

I've recruited most of the younger players from where I work and they are predominantly programmers (I'm not). Of the 10 of us three are grognards, the remainder have varying levels of interest namely:

2 or 3 (the 20 somethings ) are more interested in the "system" than the actual game theme. In fact when I questioned them a little more closley to try to identify what they might want to play in future sessions they didn't seem to care as far as historical topic, it was the puzzle aspect of the system that interested them more than anything.

The 30 something is interested in getting into some of the "real" wargame titles but he has no real wargames of his own. His Bday is coming up, I bought him a copy of GMT's Alesia since he has an interest in Rome. Will see how it goes.

The bulk are sporadic attendees but have a greater tendency to show up if it's a multiplayer session. There's one D&Der so that will eventually show up at a session; I try to make sure that everyone gets to play or host something that interests them.

The thing I've noticed with the younger guys (in my small group sample) is that because they work a lot with computers they seem to want to have the boardgame in kind of the same format - everything right there in front of them. Nothing wrong with that but it manifested itself when I was talking about Invasion America with one of them a couple of weeks after the game. Turns out he didn't like it because he had to stand up to look at the map - it was physically too large and wasn't easily accessible. It surprised me because he seemed to enjoy it when playing. He also mentioned the unit symbology was unfamiliar to him.

They seem to like to play group games - multiplayer as opposed to 1-1.

I guess the upshot of all this is that you may need to mix it up a bit to entice people and be careful not to overwhelm them. I have noticed that theme is less interesting than the system as I mentioned above. The key is finding the right combination.

And FWIW: I'm not trying to stereotype age groups, these are just my observations of a small group. We have a good time together, I've simply found it interesting to try to see what hooks them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with recruitment.

Thirty to forty years years ago wargamers were mostly of college-age. (Look at old convention photos.)

Now they are mostly much, much older. The photos from the outstanding CSW Expo show a "geezerfest," many, or most, traveling long distances.

"Demographics is destiny."

P.S. Thirty odd years ago the annual convention of a university wargame club (held just before the start of spring semester) saw more wargames sold, more played, and more excitement than Origins sees now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Martin for the incites on recruiting, and, I tossed up a somewhat related list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/159341/enlisting-the-n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1135845/the-first-first-...

Game co day at the club. Great way to recruit the Young Guard. Hats off to Jason & his brigade for organizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lt Jason sent me this link:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6d502/105804

Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I loved this doc, I edited it. Then took it to the local gaming place. Asked the owners to post them on the wall some where or I could bring more in for hand outs......nada.

they never made it to the wall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgiveness easier than permission; paste it on their wall arrrh

Hard to believe a business would be so dense not to want more customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
I loved this doc, I edited it. Then took it to the local gaming place. Asked the owners to post them on the wall some where or I could bring more in for hand outs......nada.

they never made it to the wall

I'm so glad our FLGS gets it. Passion begats more, even when it comes from a niche market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1133453/intro-to-histori...

Thought I would toss a link to Mr.Rush's intro to (war)gaming class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Stumbled across that yesterday; a folder from about 40 years ago containing the instructions to a "Inter-Nation Simulation" that I played in a social studies class in middle school! Basically, it:

1) Had four countries: Cantasta, Denika, Brazovaltz, Angomia

2) 6 students on a team (imagine a public school with a class size of ONLY 24!...pure science fiction today)

3) Mechanics: "During the simulation, each nation will promote its national interest by manipulating the resources which are available to it. The basic resources are essentially economic. The unit of Basis Capability (BC) is the unit by which the power of the nation is measured....may be utilized in any or all four general ways...international trade, Basic Industry, acquire military power (Tactical, Strategic or Nuclear) or to provide a better standard of living ("butter").

4) Based upon how you would invest the BCs (and I think relative to other countries), a living standard would be generated, profits for Basic Industry & trade, military units produced, etc.

5) There were also mechanisms for waging war, generating treaties, triggering revolutions, etc

6) Your team would fill out its plan for the turn, submit to teacher, they would consult some formula's/play guide and then issue a report on what happened that turn.

Anyways, I guess that made me a GREAT candidate for Rise and Decline of the Third Reich - serious, I'm positive that's why "I got" the game 3rd reich quickly - BRPs and all that jazz - and got me to thinking whether such simulations are used (or should be used - YES!) in middle/high school today to recruit the Young Guard. And, it was a lot of fun explaining to one of my youngin's what a mimeograph machine was....and the wonderful smell of freshly minted blue mimeograph paper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a good year recruiting for our First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17697090
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
"Inter-Nation Simulation" that I played in a social studies class...

Wow, I remember that one, although I played it in high school (sophomore year, if I recall). It was an interesting concept, but like so much that SRA (Scholastic Research Associates) did it was incredibly process heavy. Our teacher had planned to run the game over a week (four days to play and one day to do a post-game wrap up), but curtailed the exercise after just two days. Our experience had players spending almost all their time filling in worksheets and calculating their nation's production and consumption requirements, and very little negotiation or interaction with the other teams. I think if they did something similar today, using computers to handle all the bookkeeping aspects of the game, it would've been far more interesting and productive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that our teacher created a great experience and used the worksheets more as playaids. Sadly, I'm not sure such games are used in most middle school (or high school) classes any longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.