Subject: Card List & Analysis: Home Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great comments as always.

I totally agree that England should not try to roll on the marriage table more (in most cases) if he has a sickly Edward.

You mentioned that France has an issue in 1532 because he does not have his home card. I have sometimes seen the French agree not to mess with Metz on the first turn of the 1532 scenario as long as the Hapburgss let the French get Milan. That usually works out well (except for the time when my Ottomans in a 3-player game pulled Copernicus with Akinji Raiders on their first impulse and the Hapsburg player was so mad that he had the Pope take Milan.

Excommunication of rulers really takes on a new dimension in 3-player games. It's a bit gamey (even though shameless exploitation of double powers is part of the fun), but the Pope can declare war on someone the Hapsburgs are fighting and then excommunicate that ruler to make it easier for the Hapsburgs to take some easy keys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UpstateGamer wrote:
The second option is what you should choose on turn 2 and thereafter, until you get Edward VI, either sickly or healthy. This is necessary to get the 5 VP for Edward, and also to prevent Mary from ever being added to the deck.

In the case of a sickly Edward, Mary will be added to the deck on the first turn Ed rules England, if I remember right. So she's unlikely to come out unless the game runs very long - but if she does, England is hosed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
UpstateGamer wrote:
The second option is what you should choose on turn 2 and thereafter, until you get Edward VI, either sickly or healthy. This is necessary to get the 5 VP for Edward, and also to prevent Mary from ever being added to the deck.

In the case of a sickly Edward, Mary will be added to the deck on the first turn Ed rules England, if I remember right. So she's unlikely to come out unless the game runs very long - but if she does, England is hosed.

You're correct, but her mere presence in the deck doesn't even guarantee that she'll actually come out. In my last game, Mary refused to come out for my Pope even though she was in the deck for two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
You're correct, but her mere presence in the deck doesn't even guarantee that she'll actually come out. In my last game, Mary refused to come out for my Pope even though she was in the deck for two turns.

Bummer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Bummer!
. Well, the last time I saw Mary, the Pope got over 10 VPs in one turn and ended with over 30 VPs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UpstateGamer wrote:
Home Cards

#1 Janissaries (5) (Ottoman)
Event: Build 4 new Ottoman regulars in Ottoman home spaces.
-OR-
Play as a Combat card to roll five extra dice in a field battle or four extra dice in a naval battle. May be played after dice are rolled.

Strategy: Suleiman is well advised to use this card for the 8 CP of builds, otherwise he will have trouble matching Hapsburg builds because of the large Hapsburg hand size. Sometimes, the Ottomans need the 5 CP though.

Using Janissaries as a combat card is weak, unless Suleiman has a good chance of either capturing Charles V, or avoiding being captured himself. Another good use of Janissaries as a Combat card is at Algiers: defend on the beach, and after seeing the roll, if hits are close, play Janissaries, roll enough additional hits to win the battle, and send them swimming home.

I agree in principle, but there is ONE specific situation where I want to at least hold the card to play as an event: the attack on Buda. You really want to be able to fall back on this if the battle goes horribly wrong.

And actually, though I almost always use this for building the units, I usually do this as the last action of my turn. This kinda holds it over the head of my opponents. Also, I have backed this threat up by actually using the card in combat. But not often.

Anyway, my $.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
#5 Papal Bull (4) (Papacy)

Excommunicating rulers is not very effective. It accomplishes little for the Papacy. As the Pope, if the offending ruler is attacking you, the excommunication will be lifted if you are forced to sue for peace, which will likely happen if you waste an impulse rather than spending the 4 CP to directly defend yourself.

Good write up in general but total disagree here. Excom is a huge stick to hold over France to keep them out of Italy as well as for them to want to end the war with the Pope. It's at a minimum -2 cards to France who can't exactly afford to pay that kind of price being surrounded by vultures in England and Haps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
France shouldn't be going to Italy first turn anyway...

Papal Bull can be a nice threat though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
MD1616 wrote:

I've never seen France be successfull by going into Italy. It always ends in disaster for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategery21 wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I've never seen France be successfull by going into Italy. It always ends in disaster for them.
If France makes peace with the Pope and the Hapsburgs on Turn 2 (which often happens in my games) and calls a truce with Englabd (also feasible since England will often build up in Turn 2), France can sometimes nab Genoa. All he needs is one more squadron in the Gulf of Lyon and he can send Montmorency with six or Francis with 8 over the Alps. Genoa is also his eighth key oftentimes, which nets him an extra card. Genoa is a nice key, because besides the fact that the capture of Genoa negates the sea power of Andrea Doria, France is even closer to Master of Italy and it's unlikely that anyone will target Genoa (the Haps would rather go for Milan and the Pope doesn't have any leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.