Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: werewolf_games_played [+] ww_win [+] [View All]
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa Mira, California, 1956. A quiet California town. Though there are tensions elsewhere in the country, Santa Mira still retains its small-town charms.

A bottle of milk is 97 cents and a loaf of bread is 18 cents. You can watch "Gunsmoke" on the television if you can afford one, and "The Man Who Knew Too Much" is playing over at the Bijou.

As with most small towns, everyone knows everyone in Santa Mira..

Or do they? Some people are complaining that their relatives are..well..some kind of impostor. They look and act the same, but there is something different.

And then Jed Potter called on the party line and talked about finding some sort of giant seed pods in the trunk of his car...

Werewolf: Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- Rules

Setting

Santa Mira, California, 1956.

Game Start and Schedule

This game will start on Wednesday, May 10th at 8 am Central Standard Time. It will start with a day round. We will break for weekends, although discussion and voting can continue on up until the Monday night lynch.

Days & Nights

I am in Texas, so we will be using Central Standard Time (same as BGG Time).

Lynch time is 8 pm sharp. Night falls immediately after the lynch is resolved,

Night order deadline is 9 pm sharp. Night orders must be submitted via PM to the moderator by this time.

The new day will start at 11 pm or as soon as I get all night orders and can resolve them. I will post a DAYBREAK post to let everyone know it’s morning.

Any vote posts or PMs time stamped after the deadline times will be ignored. If the Body Snatchers fail to message me, there will be NO kill or infection that night. If players with night action abilities do not use them by 9:00 pm their ability will not function that night.

Night actions

Players may take one night action if they are able. A night action is defined as using a special ability or using an item.

Players may not delete posts or parts of posts. Posts may be slightly edited to correct typos or other minor errors, but an edit notification explaining the edit must be added to the bottom of the post.

No posting allowed after you are dead (beyond a one-line “farewell” note—but you must bracket this post with “zombie” smileys). Roles will be revealed upon death. Dead voters will be informed of their options, if any, via PM. Dead players should continue to monitor the game and their PM box.

Do not post PMs from the moderator. Doing this is hazardous to your character’s health. You may paraphrase. PM contents, however.

Got a question for the moderator? Please post it in red text, so I will notice it. Answers will be posted in red, as well.

Flavor text will be posted in blue.

PMs

Disallowed except as follows:

Original (i.e. at the start of the game) Body Snatchers may PM each other.

Transformed Body Snatchers (infected during the game) may not PM unless notified by the moderator.

Party line: two players will be connected via the party telephone line each day, beginning at daybreak and ending at daybreak the following day. These two players have PM rights for that day.

All PMs sent must be cc’ed to the moderator.
Anyone can PM the moderator at any time (questions, etc.).

Votes

Votes must be entered in BOLD, so I can quickly scan the posts. You may not edit vote posts.

Votes with timestamps after the deadline will considered to be an abstain vote.

In the case of a tie, all parties involved in the tie will send me three numbers from 1 to 20. I will roll a d20, and the person in the tie that is closest to my roll will survive. In case of a tie on the first roll, I will consult the second number, and so on to the third number.

UPDATE: If there is a tie and one person does not submit tiebreaker numbers, the person who DOES submit tiebreaker numbers will win the tie and avoid lynch. Tiebreaker numbers are due 15 minutes after lynch--if not submitted by then the tie will be arbitrarily broken by the moderator at that time.

Vote format:

Vote hounds

Unvote format:

Unvote hounds
Vote blubehir

Absences

Any player missing for 48 hour will be replaced. If a replacement player cannot be located, the moderator reserves the right to remove the player from the game utterly and his role will be revealed at the start of the next phase.

Role Revelation

Roles start out secret, but will be revealed by the mod upon the death of a character.

You may reveal your role, if desired, but there is no guarantee that you are telling the truth (or if the role is even in the game). If too many people do this too soon, I will consider it an “all reveal” (see below)

I do not want players to do an “all-reveal,” as I think it spoils the fun of the game. Players who suggest or participate in an all-reveal plan will suffer an unfortunate accident and be killed.

Priveleged information

Certain behind-the-scenes events may reveal priveleged information about the game to your character. You will be notified via PM from the moderator if you get privileged information. You are free to do whatever you want with this information. .

Hidden rules

There are certain rules that will not be published. These will be revealed at game end. These hidden rules may create some odd effects or results when they come into effect, but they are there for a reason.

Items and Money

All players begin with $1.00. The way to earn more money is to add flavor to the game. This may be done through roleplaying or describing authentic 1956 atmosphere. Periodically throughout the game, rewards for roleplaying and/or creating atmosphere will be paid out from a fund. So as not to completely penalize the roleplaying/research impaired, a minimal amount will be paid to them. If the rewards seem low, remember this is 1956 and compare them to the prices in the General Store.

Players may acquire items during the game. A player may only purchase only one item per day. A player may only use one item per day unless otherwise noted. The exception is coffee—it’s common enough that a player may use coffee and one other item.

Items and money may be passed to other players as a night action. You may buy an item for someone else in the game, and if so, that item goes directly to that player.

More items may appear in the General store as the game progresses.

Sleep and infection

As in the movie, you must fall asleep in the presence of a pod to be infected and become a Body Snatcher. Infection is immediate and non-reversible, and you become a Secondary Body Snatcher (see below).

Each night, a player must choose to Sleep or attempt to Stay Awake. This is sent as a night order via PM to the moderator. If a player forgets to send a PM it is automatically assumed he or she will sleep that night. A player may try to stay awake for several nights in a row, but this becomes increasingly difficult. Drinking coffee and taking a narcotic stimulant (cannot be bought, but can be acquired during the game) can help you stay awake longer. If a player opts to Stay Awake, and the attempt fails, they will be notified by the moderator at the end of the night, along with any results of sleeping. Note that if you administered a sedative, it will become harder for you to stay awake. Sedatives are not affected by coffee, but sedatives and narcotic stimulants administered or taken the same night will cancel each other out.

A single night of sleep will “reset your sleep clock” according to the game rules.

Example: Shugyosha, aided by drinking coffee every day, has managed to stay awake for four days straight, but it has become progressively more difficult each night. He tries for a fifth night, but the odds are against him, so he fails and falls asleep. Luckily there is no pod nearby and Shug awakes refreshed (and still human) the next morning. He attempts to Stay Awake the following night, and since he is now refreshed, it is much easier than was his fifth attempt of the night before.

The Body Snatchers

There are two types of Body Snatchers in this game: Primary and Secondary.

Primary Body Snatchers start the game as Body Snatchers and have PM rights, may place one pod per day or kill once per day. Primaries always know the identity of other Primaries. They also know how many Body Snatchers (total, including Primary and Secondary) are in the game, but they do not know the identity of the Secondaries.

The Primary Body Snatchers may choose one player per night and either Kill or Hide Pod – Location X near that player. This action is submitted as a night order to the moderator. If the Body Snatchers want to hide a pod, they can choose one of five locations near the player, simply by choosing a number from 1 to 5. If the player falls asleep in the presence of the pod, he or she will be infected.

Examples of orders:

Kill hounds or

Hounds – hide pod in location 4
(this means the Body Snatchers hide a pod in houndsoftindalos’ location 4)

A player who is infected and turns into a Body Snatcher is referred to as a Secondary Body Snatcher. This player wins if the Body Snatchers win. Secondaries know how many other Body Snatchers (total, including Primary and Secondary) are in the game, but they do not know the identity of the Primaries.

Secondaries do not have PM rights and may not kill or place pods.

If a Primary Body Snatcher is killed, a random Secondary Body Snatcher (if one is available) will be “absorbed into the overmind” as a replacement, and at that time you become a Primary Body Snatcher (with PM rights etc.).

Pods and infection

Integral to the infection process are the giant seed pods from the movie. If hidden near a sleeping person, the pod bursts open, revealing a featureless body encased in whitish foam. As the victim sleeps, the pod-body grows and develops, eventually mimicking the physical appearance of the sleeper. Finally, at the end of the night, the victim shrivels into a husk and dies, at which time the pod-body takes over that person’s identity, becoming a Secondary Body Snatcher.

If a player goes to sleep and a pod is hidden in one of their locations, they will transform into a Secondary (transformed) Body Snatcher that night. Secondary Body Snatchers do show up as Body Snatchers to the Psycologist.

Update: Even if you stay awake, the Body Snatchers can place a pod in one of your locations. Unnerving, isn't it?

A newly-placed pod takes about 12 hours to ripen, so no one will be infected the same night a pod is hidden. This gives you a chance to discover it in the next day's search.

Searching for pods

In the game, each player will have five locations where the Body Snatchers may hide a pod. The player is only allowed to search one location per day. The order is transmitted as a day order publicly (not via PM) like so:

Search tool shed

Search results will be delivered via PM as soon as possible after getting orders. The deadline for searching is the same as the deadline for lynch (8 pm BGG time). If a pod is found in the search it is automatically destroyed. You are free to share (or not share) your search results with the other players as desired. You may search the same location or a different location the next day—it’s your choice.

It is possible to buy an item (boards, nails and padlocks) that closes off a location. If the Body Snatchers try to leave a pod at a closed location they will be informed that their attempt failed that night. Update: this failed placement will still result in a NO KILL result the next morning.

Order summary

Day orders, publically posted: Votes, searching

Day orders via PM: buy item for self or another, use item (example: drink coffee)

Night orders via PM: sleep or stay awake, pass item or money to another, use special ability

Role Selection

This is entirely random

Players

1. xlorp
2. lauramath Wilma Lentz (The Operator) Lynched D2
3. jmilum Dr. Ed Pursey (Brutal Body Snatcher) Lynched D3
4. jaredh
5. shugyosha Mac Lomax (Hardware store owner) Lynched D7
6. Rukasu Police Chief Nick Grivett (Bodyguard) Lynched D4
7. Freyja Nurse Sally Withers, Sedating Body Snatcher, Lynched D7
8. Ron Stuckel
9. path12
10. LudesFactor Dr. Miles Bennel (The Psychologist) Killed N2
11. 7ofAnn Becky Driscoll (Clever Body Snatcher) Lynched D5
12. Geosmores
13. buffalospynovel Theodora Belicec (The Lover) Killed N5
14. seamusk
15. seppi Officer Sam Janzek (The Hunter) Lynched D6
16. SecretSauce Grandma Driscoll (The Witness) Killed D3
17. Greek2Me
18. Spielguy - Jack Belicec (The Lover) Lynched D1

Roles

All players will get a named role. Some roles will have a special ability/occupation which will be given to them via PM. Other roles are simply vanillagers.

Dr. Miles Bennel
Becky Driscoll
Dr. Dan 'Danny' Kauffman
Nurse Sally Withers
Jack Belicec
Theodora 'Teddy' Belicec
Police Chief Nick Grivett
Wilma Lentz
Uncle Ira Lentz
Stanley Driscoll
Officer Sam Janzek
Anne Grimaldi
Grandma Driscoll
Eleda Lentz
Jimmy Grimaldi
Dr. Ed Pursey
Mac Lomax
Jed Potter

3 people will start out as Body Snatchers and one person will be Dr. Miles Bennel (the Psychologist, this game’s version of the seer). Those are the only guaranteed special roles at the start. The Body Snatchers are randomly assigned. If a role with an ability starts out as a Body Snatcher, well, you can’t count on that ability for this game. Abilities vanish once the player becomes a Body Snatcher.

General store items

Coffee 10 cents for a day’s supply (coffee must be drunk each day when attempting to stay awake) can buy multiple day’s supply if desired.

Whiskey
60 cents (gives one night’s protection from infection, but consumer is too hung over to vote the next day)

Boards, nails and padlocks $1.00 Allows you to close off one search location (limited to 20 units)

Mod messages

Game result messages (lynchings, killings, descriptions) in blue

Moderator rulings or responses to questions in red -- be sure to ask mod questions in red, as well.

Victory

Humans win if all the Body Snatchers (Primary and Secondary) are eliminated.

Body Snatchers win when their number reaches parity with the number of humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- Interest and ideas
Oh I really like this idea. The paranoia of Witches Brew from Bewitched, slow infection from Contagion, and the monstrous transformation of The Thing could add up to a real pressure cooker. The possibility that someone scanned as clean yesterday biting off your head the next can not be beat.

Mary, Mary quite contrary. How does your garden grow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Hounds,

This is a fantastic Idea. Of all the games that I wish I would have played I don't think I will ever forvige myself for not playing in the Thing, albeit I was traveling, I will not miss this one. I will keep an eye on how this idea unfolds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lauramath wrote:
Wow Hounds,

This is a fantastic Idea. Of all the games that I wish I would have played I don't think I will ever forvige myself for not playing in the Thing, albeit I was traveling, I will not miss this one. I will keep an eye on how this idea unfolds.

I feel the same way about the Monroeville games--I am a huge fan of the Romero movies. And I am so enjoying Dune that I wish I had played in some of Kimapesan's earlier games, too.

Just had a brain-flash. The Things had unlimited PM abilities with each other after infection and transformation. But the Body Snatchers don't actually know whether other people are really Body Snatchers, except by watching for signs of emotionality. So in Body Snatchers perhaps the original wolves (at game start) will have unlimited PM rights, but only that number of wolves (say, three) can ever have PM rights. If an original wolf is killed, one of the transformed wolves will then get PM rights. This will make it a little more difficult for the wolves because they are unsure whether certain people have transformed or not. This may simulate the mimicking ability. If someone discovers a pod, destroys it and doesn't transform, they will know the wolves will be watching them to see what happens. They can try to out the wolves or pretend to be a wolf for a bit to see if they can gather more info.

More brainstorming:

Mechanism for effects of sleep deprivation?
Mechanism to detect Body Snatchers (emotionless impostor syndrome)?
Psychologist = seer?
Small-town 1950s atmosphere/flavor. Sleepy (ahem) California town.

more to come...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm game, Damn Atreides though you may be. (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymouse512 wrote:
I'm game, Damn Atreides though you may be. (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very good idea. You worked out any rules yet? The way you did infection in the Thing probably translates exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What a great idea for a game.

The contrast of the safe small town with the growing paranoia - the essence of Werewolf.

I looks forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredh wrote:
very good idea. You worked out any rules yet? The way you did infection in the Thing probably translates exactly

I'm doing a lot of loose brainstorming on paper right now--that's how I came up with most of the Thing rules. I also raided some mechanics from a few classic games, too, which I will likely do again this time.

Actually the Thing had a timed infection period, with an increasing chance of transformation each day. Unfortunately, the rolls I made for that were such that nearly everyone infected transformed almost immediately. In Body Snatchers, the transformation will be instantaneous as soon as you go to sleep in the presence of a pod.

Each night the Body Snatchers will place one seed pod "with" a player in the game. I am still deciding if a player will know this or not--there will probably be a witness analogue who will see one Body Snatcher placing the pod. Anyway, it will be hidden in one of five locations (car trunk, basement, tool shed, bedroom closet, etc.). Players may search one location a day--if they find a pod, they can destroy it and thus not get infected. They can stay awake and search the next day without fear of infection, but the lack of sleep will begin to affect them (not sure how yet). If the pod is found and destroyed, the Body Snatchers can place another pod with that player, but the number of locations goes down to four.

Infected players become Body Snatchers immediately, but do not have PM rights with the original Body Snatchers. This is to mimic the human's ability to "fool" the Body Snatchers. I haven't figured out yet how new Body Snatchers will participate in the pod placement yet (they may not at all--they might just be backup original Body Snatchers should any of the originals die--then they would get PM rights). They would win, of course, in the event of a Body Snatcher victory. This is kind of tricky and much of my thinking right now is sussing out a good system for this.

Unlike the Thing, there will be no spectacular, gory transformations, although I may give some clues about recognizing a Body Snatcher and the pods bursting and forming duplicate bodies. The horror I want to induce is somewhat more subtle and psychological. I've got a few ideas along these lines.

I really want to capture the small-town, Cold-War hysteria that still infuses Invasion of the Body Snatchers with power today. Whatever your politics, America is still a pretty xenophobic country nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I neglected to note that the Body Snatchers will have the option to kill instead of place a seed pod.

There will be some kind of seer role--probably a psychologist of some kind, who is skilled at observing people and determining their emotional and mental state.

And the Body Snatchers, though fairly straightforward emotionless drones in the movie, may have a few surprises up their sleeves as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that calendar is jam-packed. I scheduled for May 10, which gives me plenty of time to get the game ready, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I'm well and truly dead in Dune, I can start working on Body Snatchers in earnest.

Has anyone done a Little Shop of Horrors-themed Werewolf game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- Sign up + discussion
Bump (now with exciting sign up sheet!), so people might have a chance to see this.

Rules still underway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Sign up - rules discussion
Sounds cool, haven't seen the movie but sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Please add me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy da Mom
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Sign up - rules discus
I would like to play too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giant Robot
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat H
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I'd like to try this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see some veterans of The Thing signing on, as well as some new faces.

I'm still toiling away on the rules, but they are shaping up. May have to consult with jaredh about some balancing factors, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there more room? Maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's room. I hadn't reeally set a cap yet, but I think I will cap it at 18 with one or two alternates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would to join if you do not mind an inexperienced player.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosmores wrote:
I would to join if you do not mind an inexperienced player.

David

I don't mind. Have you played any short online games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [41] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.